The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well I haven't learnt new words :eek:

Welsh I have though today!:colone:

I forgot to learn the rest of those things in Welsh! :frown: But I do know Rydw i'n gallu siarad Cymraeg (I can speak Welsh) and Rwyt t'in (you are) and Diolch (don't know what that means, I jsut remember it! :tongue:)
Original post by Vionar
I forgot to learn the rest of those things in Welsh! :frown: But I do know Rydw i'n gallu siarad Cymraeg (I can speak Welsh) and Rwyt t'in (you are) and Diolch (don't know what that means, I jsut remember it! :tongue:)

Diolch is thank you

Mae e'n = He is
Mae hi'n = She is
Mae Vionar yn = Vionar is
Rydyn ni'n = We are
Rydych chi'n = You(p/f) are
Mae nhw'n = They are

:colone:
Original post by BaconEmperor
For someone with an A-Level in Maths I feel you could've used a smaller range :wink:
The probability of Fish being right on this is significantly less than one!:tongue:

Here are Professor David Crystal's thoughts on how many words the average person learns in a lifetime.

Professor David Crystal
"Most people know half the words - about 50,000 - easily. A reasonably educated person about 75,000 and a really cool, smart person well, maybe all of them but that is rather unusual.

"An ordinary person, one who has not been to university say, would know about 35,000 quite easily."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8013859.stm

Therefore I say that if n=number of words possible in a day, then n's highest value < ∞. :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Diolch is thank you

Mae e'n = He is
Mae hi'n = She is
Rydyn ni'n = We are
Mae nhw'n = They are

I think "Bore da" is good morning/hello, is that right? And "Araf" is slow - it says it on all the roads!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5444
Diolch is thank you

Mae e'n = He is
Mae hi'n = She is
Rydyn ni'n = We are
Mae nhw'n = They are

Diolch for that! :ahee: (thank you)

And saying Mae 'Vionar yn trist' makes sense, right? And what's the word for happy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Octopus_Garden
The probability of Fish being right on this is significantly less than one!:tongue:

Here are Professor David Crystal's thoughts on how many words the average person learns in a lifetime.

Therefore I say that if n=number of words possible in a day, then n's highest value < ∞. :cool:

You missed the / in your Italics :eviltongue:

:lol: well, there's no limit (bar the actual lack of any more words to learn) on how many you can learn...
You missed the / in your Italics :eviltongue:

:lol: well, there's no limit (bar the actual lack of any more words to learn) on how many you can learn...
Already edited.:tongue:

I was too busy trying to copy and paste a summation sign with n tending to infinity. And then I gave up on that.

So no summation sign, and no accurate BB code.
Already edited.:tongue:

I was too busy trying to copy and paste a summation sign with n tending to infinity. And then I gave up on that.

So no summation sign, and no accurate BB code.

Not in my quote :ninja:

Use tex :tongue:

σ\sigma although that may be the wrong one!:ahee:
Reply 5448
Original post by BaconEmperor
That's loads for a GCSE class :eek:
In GCSE French we'd be lucky if we learnt 10 words a lesson even just before the exams :redface: How many do you reckon you'll try to learn a day when you do AS Italian? :smile: I reckon one of the most important factors for success at A-Level is having a large vocabulary both passively and actively.

We had a lot of very linguistic people in our class, and the others said they'd do a lot of words so they weren't overshadowed xD I'm not sure how many, but since I managed to do 50 for GCSE I'd probably try and do more than that! I'll be doing words every day when I'm revising for the exams, but maybe I'll try and learn something like 100 words a week for the rest of the time... :dontknow:

Original post by Decerto
I only learn some grammar and 5 words a day. I think I need to learn a few more words per day and be a bit more strenuous with my plan. My regime seems very modest compared to both of yours. :tongue:

As I said though, this was just in preparation for the exam. I wouldn't be that strenuous during the holidays :tongue:

Check you guys out...

I learn nothing a day :lol:

:lol: It was only because I was revising :wink:

Haha but I don't think there's a right answer :smile: I was only wondering how much each of you personally think is possible either from experience of reading about it, nonetheless an interesting article!

Original post by EmilyJayne14
We had a lot of very linguistic people in our class, and the others said they'd do a lot of words so they weren't overshadowed xD I'm not sure how many, but since I managed to do 50 for GCSE I'd probably try and do more than that! I'll be doing words every day when I'm revising for the exams, but maybe I'll try and learn something like 100 words a week for the rest of the time... :dontknow:

Must have been nice being surrounded by dedicated linguists, I'm hoping I'll find out what that feels like at uni :tongue: I think 100 a week is a fantastic goal for A-Level, you'll learn all the words in no-time!
Reply 5450
I'd say you'd be served just as well, if not better, by picking up words from newspaper articles and such instead of sitting down with a list of words to learn. That way you at least get a sense for how much a certain word is actually used, and in what context. Otherwise you'll most likely end up just having to unlearn/relearn all these words later on as you get more advanced and realise that they're not really the ones to use in a given context.
Here's a challenge.
http://www.insightin.com/test/take_test.phtml

Humiliatingly, it estimated my vocabulary was over 9,200 words, and it refused to commit to more than that.

On this one, http://testyourvocab.com/, it estimated my vocabulary at 37,500, and I have learnt many new words as a result of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Diolch is thank you

Mae e'n = He is
Mae hi'n = She is
Rydyn ni'n = We are
Mae nhw'n = They are

Do you need all of those big forms? o.o
Original post by constantmeowage
Do you need all of those big forms? o.o

What do you mean?
Original post by tess_rach
I think "Bore da" is good morning/hello, is that right? And "Araf" is slow - it says it on all the roads!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep:
Original post by Vionar
Diolch for that! :ahee: (thank you)

And saying Mae 'Vionar yn trist' makes sense, right? And what's the word for happy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah
Hapus = Happy
Reply 5455
:yep:

Yeah
Hapus = Happy

Mae Vionar e'n hapus * about that! :ahee: Diolch! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean?

For 'we are', you only need 'yn ni'n', and similarly 'ych chi'n' :smile: also you only need 'dw i'n' for I am and 'ti'n' for thou art :smile:
Original post by Vionar
Mae Vionar e'n hapus * about that! :ahee: Diolch! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mae Vionar YN hapus * about that
Original post by constantmeowage
For 'we are', you only need 'yn ni'n', and similarly 'ych chi'n' :smile: also you only need 'dw i'n' for I am and 'ti'n' for thou art :smile:

:eek: no, I like my ryd :colone:
Reply 5458

Oops, I got confused between the 'he' person and the 'Vionar' form! :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek: no, I like my ryd :colone:

But it sounds so long winded o.o o.o

Latest

Trending