Oops, I got confused between the 'he' person and the 'Vionar' form! :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I gathered :mmm:
Original post by constantmeowage
But it sounds so long winded o.o o.o

Nooo, I like it :frown:
Reply 5461
Original post by BaconEmperor
Must have been nice being surrounded by dedicated linguists, I'm hoping I'll find out what that feels like at uni :tongue: I think 100 a week is a fantastic goal for A-Level, you'll learn all the words in no-time!

It was mainly the year above that were dedicated linguists (the teacher called one of them a 'language geek'), and it would be awesome to be surrounded by 100% dedicated linguists!! :biggrin: Yaaaayyy :smile:

Original post by Ronove
I'd say you'd be served just as well, if not better, by picking up words from newspaper articles and such instead of sitting down with a list of words to learn. That way you at least get a sense for how much a certain word is actually used, and in what context. Otherwise you'll most likely end up just having to unlearn/relearn all these words later on as you get more advanced and realise that they're not really the ones to use in a given context.

I'm going to order some books in foreign languages to read and learn words this way, but I find learning a set number of words within a time period effective too, especially when you're given a list of common words from the specification like we were at GCSE.

Original post by Octopus_Garden
Here's a challenge.
http://www.insightin.com/test/take_test.phtml

Humiliatingly, it estimated my vocabulary was over 9,200 words, and it refused to commit to more than that.

On this one, http://testyourvocab.com/, it estimated my vocabulary at 37,500, and I have learnt many new words as a result of it.

I got 10,000 words on the first one (the Hunger Games helped me get the 'twill' one :colone:) and 19,300 for the second one :s-smilie:
Original post by EmilyJayne14
It was mainly the year above that were dedicated linguists (the teacher called one of them a 'language geek'), and it would be awesome to be surrounded by 100% dedicated linguists!! :biggrin: Yaaaayyy :smile:

I'm going to order some books in foreign languages to read and learn words this way, but I find learning a set number of words within a time period effective too, especially when you're given a list of common words from the specification like we were at GCSE.

I got 10,000 words on the first one (the Hunger Games helped me get the 'twill' one :colone:) and 19,300 for the second one :s-smilie:

Don't feel bad. I've learnt a lot of words since I was 14.You scored above average for your age, and you will learn even more words in all your languages! In fact, I actually learnt some of the words I knew on that test this week, as I happened to buy and read a second-hand copy of this! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fopdoodle-Salmagundi-Meanings-Johnsons-Dictionary/dp/1873590636
(edited 10 years ago)
Here's a challenge.
http://www.insightin.com/test/take_test.phtml

Humiliatingly, it estimated my vocabulary was over 9,200 words, and it refused to commit to more than that.

On this one, http://testyourvocab.com/, it estimated my vocabulary at 37,500, and I have learnt many new words as a result of it.

Mine was 7,200, but I rushed it a bit.
Original post by constantmeowage
Mine was 7,200, but I rushed it a bit.
You mean the top one I linked, right?

Because if it was the bottom one, you've totally mucked up their statistical results with your haste.:eek:
You mean the top one I linked, right?

Because if it was the bottom one, you've totally mucked up their statistical results with your haste.:eek:

Yes the top one :tongue: having said that, my English vocabulary has never been wonderful. :L
How do you all remember vocab? I'm alright with grammar because it generally has a rhythm, but I really struggle remembering vocabulary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
How do you all remember vocab? I'm alright with grammar because it generally has a rhythm, but I really struggle remembering vocabulary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use Anki, it's a e-flash card app that scientifically calculate when to reshow you each flash cards based on how memory works so you never forget a word (well you remember 95% atleast :tongue: )
Generally I think flash cards are brilliant for learning/remembering vocab because you can add new words as you learn them and add key phrases too :biggrin:
Other people here also enjoy using sites such as Memrise and Duolingo which try to make vocab learning more like a game :smile:
Reply 5468
Don't feel bad. I've learnt a lot of words since I was 14.You scored above average for your age, and you will learn even more words in all your languages! In fact, I actually learnt some of the words I knew on that test this week, as I happened to buy and read a second-hand copy of this! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fopdoodle-Salmagundi-Meanings-Johnsons-Dictionary/dp/1873590636

Oh, cool :smile:
I use Anki, it's a e-flash card app that scientifically calculate when to reshow you each flash cards based on how memory works so you never forget a word (well you remember 95% atleast :tongue: )
Generally I think flash cards are brilliant for learning/remembering vocab because you can add new words as you learn them and add key phrases too :biggrin:
Other people here also enjoy using sites such as Memrise and Duolingo which try to make vocab learning more like a game :smile:

Okay, I'll try them! I'm currently reading Spanish short stories to build my vocab base for A-Level but I have 5-6 pages of vocab that I see again on the page and have no idea what it means...I'll put it all into a site :smile: Thank you!
Original post by Molly_xox
Okay, I'll try them! I'm currently reading Spanish short stories to build my vocab base for A-Level but I have 5-6 pages of vocab that I see again on the page and have no idea what it means...I'll put it all into a site :smile: Thank you!

I hope you find them useful because I think sites/apps like these are amazing for vocab, I've learnt and remembered so much from them :smile:
Anki and Memrise are also great because you can download/use the vocab other people have put on the site if you wanted to learn random new words or just test out the site before you bother typing up your own vocab for it :tongue: Good luck with the Spanish!
Glad I could help! :biggrin:
I hope you find them useful because I think sites/apps like these are amazing for vocab, I've learnt and remembered so much from them :smile:
Anki and Memrise are also great because you can download/use the vocab other people have put on the site if you wanted to learn random new words or just test out the site before you bother typing up your own vocab for it :tongue: Good luck with the Spanish!
Glad I could help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spanish AS self-taught. Doable?

Aiming to have all the grammar covered by September.
Original post by aasvogel
Spanish AS self-taught. Doable?

Aiming to have all the grammar covered by September.

We can do it together! Although I think I'll be doing AS in Year 13, don't want to overload... But I'll do everything with you, just not the actual exams...
Original post by L'Evil Fish
We can do it together! Although I think I'll be doing AS in Year 13, don't want to overload... But I'll do everything with you, just not the actual exams...

I've talked myself into it. I spoke to my Spanish teacher before summer and he said grammar wouldn't be a problem, it would be what you miss in class from going through papers and practising for orals. :s-smilie:
Plus if I didn't do it, it would give me a lot more free time for other commitments and boosting a personal statement/ getting a job. Ahhhhh.
I've talked myself into it. I spoke to my Spanish teacher before summer and he said grammar wouldn't be a problem, it would be what you miss in class from going through papers and practising for orals. :s-smilie:
Plus if I didn't do it, it would give me a lot more free time for other commitments and boosting a personal statement/ getting a job. Ahhhhh.

Do what I'm doing then! Preparing over Year 12, and AS in Year 13?
Do what I'm doing then! Preparing over Year 12, and AS in Year 13?

Hmm I think Year 13 will be a whole lot busier, it would this year or just leave it. :colondollar:
Hmm I think Year 13 will be a whole lot busier, it would this year or just leave it. :colondollar:

Fair enough :redface:

It's only one exam :dontknow:
Fair enough :redface:

It's only one exam :dontknow:

I knowww but the effort needed for keeping it up - and it's a 3 hour exam! :redface:
H$

Well I hope you'd keep it up anyway!:tongue:

Latest