The Student Room Group

Do students have to pay for NHS Prescriptions?

I'm 18 and in full-time education as a student. I have a couple questions, that I really need to know asap! When do students have to start paying for prescriptions from the doctors? Do students have to pay for "Private Prescriptions" for medication not available on the NHS but with a private prescription from your doctor?

Scroll to see replies

I thought all prescriptions are free... to like everyone? Didn't that come into effect a few years back?
Reply 2
Original post by AccountingBabe
I thought all prescriptions are free... to like everyone? Didn't that come into effect a few years back?

Not to everyone no.
There are certain criteria that you get them free
- under 16
- aged 16, 17 or 18 and in full time education
- health condition like diabetes or hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism
- over age 60 (i think)

I'm 18 and about to enter uni, so I don't know if we have to start paying or not...? I'm unsure about that one.

But for the rest of the public it;s like £7.40 per item on prescription.
If you have a lot of medications its often cheaper to have the monthly thing which is like £23 or something for numerous items.

Not free though. I wish :P
Original post by Le Wookie
I'm 18 and in full-time education as a student. I have a couple questions, that I really need to know asap! When do students have to start paying for prescriptions from the doctors? Do students have to pay for "Private Prescriptions" for medication not available on the NHS but with a private prescription from your doctor?

Original post by AccountingBabe

Sorry, I live in Northern Ireland, seems like prescription charges where scrapped in the UK EXCEPT for England.
Original post by Divergent
Not to everyone no.
There are certain criteria that you get them free
- under 16
- aged 16, 17 or 18 and in full time education
- health condition like diabetes or hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism
- over age 60 (i think)

I'm 18 and about to enter uni, so I don't know if we have to start paying or not...? I'm unsure about that one.

But for the rest of the public it;s like £7.40 per item on prescription.
If you have a lot of medications its often cheaper to have the monthly thing which is like £23 or something for numerous items.

Not free though. I wish :P

Yeah, just realised it was only my area where they are free to everyone.
"These costs apply only to England as prescription charges have been abolished in the rest of the UK. In Wales, prescriptions have been free for everyone since 2007, Northern Ireland scrapped the charges in 2010 and Scotland followed suit in 2011." NHS

Aw, that sucks, I don't want to pay for medicine when I'm at Uni!

"Children under 16, pregnant women, people over 60, young people in full-time education, people in receipt of certain benefits such as Income Support or Jobseekers' Allowance and people suffering from specific conditions, such as certain types of physical disability, diabetes, or epilepsy, for which they hold a valid exemption certificate."

I'm guessing you will fall under young people in full time education so you won't have to pay at uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Nope if you're at uni you have to pay (in England). The "full time education" thing only works if you're in school/sixth form.
You can apply using your student income for a HC2 certificate if you live away from home. It'll cover your prescription costs for a year at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Divergent
x

Just a small point, but prescriptions are £7.85.
****, I thought if in full time education we didn't have to pay, I get two prescriptions every month, that's gonna be expensive for me then..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Nope if you're at uni you have to pay (in England). The "full time education" thing only works if you're in school/sixth form.

You can get it free if you are at uni up until your 19th birthday. You can apply for a certificate for free prescriptions if your income is under a certain threshold though. Although I think it takes parents income into account if you are at uni and under 21.
Reply 11
Original post by ArtGoblin
You can get it free if you are at uni up until your 19th birthday. You can apply for a certificate for free prescriptions if your income is under a certain threshold though. Although I think it takes parents income into account if you are at uni and under 21.

I was at the dentists yesterday, they told me that with either the HC1 or HC2 (can't remember which) you get a certificate that covers you for a year based entirely on your income, not your parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
As another poster said you can fill out a form (you can pick it up from the reception your GP or dental practice) for helps towards the cost of them plus eye tests/glasses/dental work etc I didnt get free prescriptions when I did it but I know people who did, so its worth a go. If you have a lot of regular medications then you could see about a pre payment certificate its either £29 for three months or £104 for a year
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Le Wookie

If you're in full-time education, NHS prescriptions are automatically free until you turn 19, though you may have to prove your education status. Once you're 19 or over, you need to fill in an HC1 form and get a certificate which entitles you to reduced costs on certain NHS services, based on your income. Even with this, you may have to pay for prescriptions - for example when I had one, I had to pay for prescriptions but got a reduced price for NHS dentistry and opticians.

If it's a private prescription then you have to pay regardless of your age.
Reply 14
Quick Q: I'm 20 and live away from home for uni. I live entirely on my student loan and grant. Can my loan be used as my "income" to be entitled to reduced fees/free prescriptions? If so, which form do I need? Thank you :smile:
Original post by JustMee :)
Quick Q: I'm 20 and live away from home for uni. I live entirely on my student loan and grant. Can my loan be used as my "income" to be entitled to reduced fees/free prescriptions? If so, which form do I need? Thank you :smile:

When they ask about income, this does include your loan and grant.

There are also groups of people who are entitled to free prescriptions due to disability.
I pay for mine and I'm a full-time university student. You have to pay if you're over 19, unless your circumstances come under an exemption.
Reply 17
Yeah I'm pretty sure you have to pay if you're at uni!
Reply 18
I get them free as i have thyroid problems as does my husband now as he has just turned 60 he paid before that. Also if you are still at school till 18 they are free too. Hope this helps.
I'm 19, at College (full time education)... and have been charged for my prescription... also I they think I have asthma and are the process of diagnosing it... If I have this for life, this year there is no way I'll be able to pay for it. I can't get a job, as am constantly studying, and getting work experience for my uni degree. My mum is on a low income aswell as having diabeties, so she can't really affordto pay for mine. Does anyone hhave any suggestions to what I can do? Really stressing about this :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest