The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Good session tonight for the most part. Also had quite noticeable hamstring and triceps DOMS.

Squats:

140 x 5

2 more reps than Friday and deeper too! But just as difficult.

Press:

67.5 x 5/1

Equalled my 5RM but then a bit of a disaster on the second set so didn't do any more. Instead I did ...

Push press:

96 x 1

Difficult, really struggled to press it out, but I'm sure that this is a new PR.

Power cleans:

did some reps with 85 to get the form down again. Some were good, some weren't.

Then went home.
Reply 1381
Original post by Smack

Power cleans:
did some reps with 85 to get the form down again. Some were good, some weren't.

Then went home.

Yeah, I was wondering what you did after the cleans.
Decent enough session tonight. Still had some DOMS from Monday.

Pause squats [2s]:

worked up to 140 x 1

Quite hard.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 3
80 x 5

Much better than last time.

Power cleans:

worked up to 100 x 1

Hard.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5

Stopped there because shoulder/elbow feeling a bit funny.

Then home.
Fairly poor session tonight. Didn't feel strong or motivated.

Press:

70 x 2/1/1/1/1

Was hoping for sets of 3 but just didn't have it in me. All sets were difficult.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Warm-ups were easy but the workset was quite hard, albeit quite fast. Probably just not used to straining against a weight any more, which makes deadlifts feel heavier than they actually are.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:

24s x 10/8/8

Okay. Quite pleased with the first set.

Curls:

3 x 15

Then home.
Good session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 6/6/6/6

Hard.

Bench press:

95 x 1/1/1/1/1
80 x 6

Actually not too bad. Happy to get just under 95% of my all time 1RM for five singles and not too difficultly either.

Power cleans:

100 x 1
105 x f/f

Legs were pretty tired after squats which didn't help, but the main problem is that I'm just not good at power cleans any more.

Then home.
Reply 1385
Original post by Smack
Good session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 6/6/6/6

Hard.

Bench press:

95 x 1/1/1/1/1
80 x 6

Actually not too bad. Happy to get just under 95% of my all time 1RM for five singles and not too difficultly either.

Power cleans:

100 x 1
105 x f/f

Legs were pretty tired after squats which didn't help, but the main problem is that I'm just not good at power cleans any more.

Then home.

what supplements are you using or did you use?

i was wanting to get some supplement recently but then when i read the reviews it said it was a natural supplement for lean muscle mass gain and fat burn and it increased penis size :lol:

so umm yeahh not too sure about that one.
I have a protein shake before I lift, consisting of whet protein and milk. Considering taking fish oil again too.
Reply 1387
Original post by Smack
I have a protein shake before I lift, consisting of whet protein and milk. Considering taking fish oil again too.

Omega 3? I used to take those every morning, gonna have to buy a bottle with 100 capsules for uni. The one thing im most worried about is my diet and being able to mantain it and build muscle mass.
Original post by a10
Omega 3? I used to take those every morning, gonna have to buy a bottle with 100 capsules for uni. The one thing im most worried about is my diet and being able to mantain it and build muscle mass.

Yes, omega 3.
Lighter session tonight. Had the worst ****ing DOMS ever.

Squat:

105 x 5/5

Press:

70 x 3/3/1

Very difficult.

RDLs:

up to 70 x 8

Easy.

Then home.
I dun goofed on Wednesday by doing RDLs. Had a lot of DOMS in my hamstrings, so squats didn't go particularly well. Also saw some guy oiling himself up in the changing room before going out to lift.

Squats:

up to 150 x 1

As said above, hamstrings sore and thus very weak out of the hole.

Seated dumbbell press:

24s x 11/8/8

Happy with the first set.

Pull ups:

bodyweight x 4/3/3

Not done these in forever, feeling it.

Pull downs:

3 x 10

Heavier than before and thus a bit harder.

Skull crushers:

bar + 30 x 10
bar + 20 x 10/10

30 was just a little bit too heavy tonight to do correctly so dropped down.

Then home.
Reply 1391
Do you still go to your university gym? Or do you now just go to a local one?

Also what are RDL's?
Original post by a10
Do you still go to your university gym? Or do you now just go to a local one?

Also what are RDL's?

The uni gym is the local gym to me.

RDLs are Romanian deadlifts.
Good session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Didn't wear my Strength Shop double ply knee sleeves because I feel like I'm becoming too reliant on them. Wore my old Tommy Kono knee-bands instead for warmth. Weight wasn't too bad although my abs felt weak.

Bench press:

97.5 x 1/1/1/1/1

A bit harder than last time. Didn't do a back-off set as someone else wanted the bench.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Harder than I expected given the warm-ups. Upper back in particular feeling weak.

Gym was busy so couldn't do what I wanted to do so just went home.
Reply 1394
Original post by Smack
The uni gym is the local gym to me.

RDLs are Romanian deadlifts.

hahahaha! Is the form for RDLs slightly slanted forward?
Average session tonight.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Fairly routine.

Press:

70 x 3

Hard as ****! Triceps died on me. Which is disappointing since the warm-ups were really easy. Especially the double with 60. Thought this would be my day and I'd get four reps - maybe even five if I pushed it. But no. Then tried to do some push press to see if that went any better, but I couldn't lock anything out so just said **** it and went onto RDLs.

RDLs:

70 x 8/8/8

Easy enough.

Then did some snatch practice since cleans **** up my wrists. Snatch also looks cool too.

Then went home.
Bad session tonight. Had a bit of a headache and also ran out of chalk so couldn't really grip smooth bars.

Power Snatch:

up to 45 for a few reps.

Just practising the form, getting a bit more used to it. Pushes my shoulder flexibility to its limits...

Standing alternating dumbbell press:

22s x 5/5/5/5/5 each side

Much harder standing up! Got a bit easier when I used the correct line, though, which is why I did 2 more sets than I planned to, taking it up to 5.

Did some chins, got 1 set of 5 fairly easily but then couldn't grip the bar on the second set so only got 4. Head got sore, went to the lat pulldown machine, head was still sore and didn't get much done, and the EZ curl bars were being used so couldn't do skull crushers so just went home.
Okay session tonight.

Power snatch

up to 45 for a few reps.

Again just working on technique.

Front squat:

up to 120 for a single

Quite hard to support it but not difficult to squat it.

Press:

60 x 10

Really pleased with this, last rep was extremely difficult though, and didn't have any more left in me to do another set.

Underhand barbell rows:

60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10

Just trying these out.

Then home.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Fairly routine.

Bench press:

100 x f/f
80 x 5

Almost got it on the second rep but had a tiny fraction of assistance from my spotter. The first rep drifted very badly so I had no hope of getting it, but since I almost ground through it the second time I should get it next time.

RDLs:

80 x 8/8/8

Not too bad.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

24s x 10
30s x 3/4

30s feeling too heavy for me tonight, triceps were quite tired.

Did some band pull aparts and face pulls to finish off then went home.
You thinking of starting with weightlifting?

Quick Reply

Latest