The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bunny96
What shows do you like watching now then? :smile:

Shows I like? NCIS, House, Burn Notice and Leverage are the main four that spring to mind as favourites although I'll sit down and watch a lot of other shows. I was a huge fan of TBBT during the first few seasons (2 and 3 were the best) and I kept watching them for all the most recent series but seasons 4, 5 and 6 have slowly sucked out the love I had for the program - Sheldon's remark in Season 6 about Heroes helping the fans deal with the ending of the series by getting continually worse until people were glad it ended struck me as immensely ironic. The season 6 finale was the nail in the coffin; I will watch the start of season 7 in the hope that the show regains what actually made it funny but I'm expecting that it will just hammer said nail in.

Original post by PythianLegume
My shoe laces sometimes break when I tie them, I seriously doubt they could hold your weight.

I thought you were going to say you took an arrow to the knee. :tongue:

I thought about it but decided against it. :tongue:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
AS Results do actually matter. You can't get EDD and realistically expect to get offers from A*AA/AAA universities.

Then the simplest answer is to retake Year 12
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
Depends on their chosen course. Ranges from AAB to BBC. You have to take into account they were able to retake in January and June. I know some that took six or seven re-sits this year.

But you said anywhere other than Oxbridge? It's deluded to think that you'd get an offer from anywhere in the top 20 with EDD. And what teacher in their right mind would predict somebody with EDD high grades in the first place?
Personally, I think all of us waiting on A Level results got a bit lucky - we at least had the January exam session to secure some UMS and reduce the modules in summer. Next year, June exam results will be more stressful than ever....
Reply 5164
Original post by lauraaaaa
20UMS? I've lost at least like 100...

I mean 20UMS out of 60 UMS for the ISAs. :-)
**** it i'm doing pharmacology if I don't get into pharmacy lol
Original post by holyfire
I don't want to change anything, I'm not looking to go that far with this doctor's note thing haha :laugh: The reason why I mentioned it in the first place is I just want to persuade the head of year 13 to let me stay/retake year 12, and present them with my reason why. I don't want to take it any further than that. Thank you, I hope so too :biggrin:

Most sixth forms will probably let people retake a year if they had extenuating circumstances.
Original post by Meehar17
what subjects did you take? and what do you think you'll get for them on Thursday?
Took all the sciences and maths. I have no clue about what I am going to get though
Original post by 747-400
Hell no, I could not drive before finding out my results, my mind would be so off driving I'd probably drive onto the wrong side of the road. That sucks! Could you ask them if you could drop it off the night before if it's not too far away from your house or do you need it? Either way, good luck with your results and good look driving to the garage!

It's booked in for the morning, getting its back window done :/ I just hope people around my area aren't too bothered about their cars on Thursday morning! :L oh and thank you very much, good luck for your results too :smile: fingers crossed we get where we want :smile: - what do you want to do and where do you want to go? :smile:
Reply 5169
This year is going to be harsh aswell because the universities get to see your Actual AS grades in order for your sixth form/college to get fund from the government for your education. So the usual trick of high predictions with bad AS grades cant fool anyone this year.

SO MUCH PRESSURE :L
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Personally, I think all of us waiting on A Level results got a bit lucky - we at least had the January exam session to secure some UMS and reduce the modules in summer. Next year, June exam results will be more stressful than ever....

Personally, I think I would have done better in comparison to others if there were no January modules.
Original post by holyfire
I don't want to change anything, I'm not looking to go that far with this doctor's note thing haha :laugh: The reason why I mentioned it in the first place is I just want to persuade the head of year 13 to let me stay/retake year 12, and present them with my reason why. I don't want to take it any further than that. Thank you, I hope so too :biggrin:

Oh right, that sounds like a reasonable plan. I had a friend who got the dreaded 'DUDE' last year and most other people who got similar grades (up to and including the incorrectly spelt DUUD), were kicked out, but he was allowed to stay because he had a form of Aspergers. I was glad because he was one of my best friends :smile:. Anyway, when you do apply to university let them know (perhaps accompanied with another doctors note) the reasons behind your retaking a year.
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
Then the simplest answer is to retake Year 12

That's not the point, you said it's only Oxbridge who cares about your AS results which is clearly not true. And then you try and validate your point by stating you know people with EDD with offers which proves nothing whatsoever.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AhmedDavid
This year is going to be harsh aswell because the universities get to see your Actual AS grades in order for your sixth form/college to get fund from the government for your education. So the usual trick of high predictions with bad AS grades cant fool anyone this year.

What do you mean? Universities always saw your actual AS grades.
Reply 5174
Original post by xMr_BrightSide

we did. We're the last year to do January exams O.o
Original post by rturnbull94
It's booked in for the morning, getting its back window done :/ I just hope people around my area aren't too bothered about their cars on Thursday morning! :L oh and thank you very much, good luck for your results too :smile: fingers crossed we get where we want :smile: - what do you want to do and where do you want to go? :smile:

Haha I'm sure you won't be that bad! And thank you :biggrin: University of Sheffield to do International Business with Study Abroad :crossedf: How about you? :smile:

Do some people have 'non-actual' AS grades then? I know folks at Eton don't have to put down their grades if they muck up (which is outrageous enough as it is), but this seems to add a whole new layer of complexity :wink:

This isn't a new thing, universities have always seen AS grades.

In all fairness, this is quite good for me, because one of my chemistry teachers hates me, so through both years of sixth form predicted me E's, yet I came out with a high C at AS, and I've been well on track for that, so maybe if they see this then they'll realise that predicted grades aren't everything :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume
What do you mean? Universities always saw your actual AS grades.

In the past you didn't have to declare them (I think), so I'm guessing they mean that you have to put down your AS results.

Latest