The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 747-400
Haha I'm sure you won't be that bad! And thank you :biggrin: University of Sheffield to do International Business with Study Abroad :crossedf: How about you? :smile:

Oooooh, impressive :smile: Dental Technology at Manchester Met :smile: with any luck :P
Original post by Deziah
I have a feeling it's my ISAs which are going to let me down in biology and chemistry. Really annoys me because I worked really hard for them, and I even got the highest in the class in biology, but my raw marks convert to really low UMS so I've lost at least 20 UMS in both biology and chemistry.

It annoys me because there was a college near me that got caught out for cheating - they basically gave the students the answers so that they'd get high grades. Just because they caught one college out doesn't mean there isn't other sixth forms/colleges doing it across the country, putting up the grade boundaries for those of us who actually work hard for them. :angry:

there's colleges near us that fiddle with these ISA's,they should be scrapped,it's ridiculous.Even though my ISA marks don't look too good,I wonder that my college can up it if they needed too.
Original post by PythianLegume
Personally, I think I would have done better in comparison to others if there were no January modules.

I know I would be screwed :tongue:. Completely let myself down at AS, without the Jan resits I took my hopes of AAA would be non-existent!
Original post by pak1994
Most sixth forms will probably let people retake a year if they had extenuating circumstances.

My school said they are stopping year 12 retakes :frown: Hopefully they'll accept a note or something
Original post by rturnbull94
Oooooh, impressive :smile: Dental Technology at Manchester Met :smile: with any luck :P

Oooh that sounds really cool! I'm sure you don't need luck, you'll be fine! :biggrin:
Original post by pak1994
They are, but not necessarily that mean. I know someone whose dad was involved in a serious accident and passed away a week or so before her language oral, and the exam board took her predicted grade instead. But yep, usually they aren't very lenient at all.

Ah that's decent of them, although that's very sad :frown:. I only say that as that is one of the traditional things my exam officer says to try and convince us that it's a good idea not to have a cold at exam time. I did have a cold, and I did report it, but I still failed. Oh well.
There's not enough episodes of Gossip Girl nor enough new clothes to buy to take away my nerves right now. :frown:
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
Do some people have 'non-actual' AS grades then? I know folks at Eton don't have to put down their grades if they muck up (which is outrageous enough as it is), but this seems to add a whole new layer of complexity :wink:

Do you have any evidence that this rule applies only to Eton. I smell bull****.

Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I know I would be screwed :tongue:. Completely let myself down at AS, without the Jan resits I took my hopes of AAA would be non-existent!

Yes, and I would crawl upon the carcass of your worse-than-expected grades :colone:
Original post by holyfire
My school said they are stopping year 12 retakes :frown: Hopefully they'll accept a note or something

Hopefully they will let you, but it may also be worth contacting a few other sixth forms that you would be interested in going to. A girl in my year left after AS results and retook the year at another sixth form, so this could be an option.
Reply 5189
Original post by James A
We've spoken before, I remember on the BIOL1 thread I think.

I only put Reading as my firm and I have no insurance choice :nah:.

I'll be doing Pharmacy hopefully.

Why no insurance? are you confident?
Im hoping for pharmacy, dont want my first choice now so will ring the unis direct on thursday. Hope to get durham.
Original post by 747-400
Oooh that sounds really cool! I'm sure you don't need luck, you'll be fine! :biggrin:

Haha, thank you :')
Ah that's decent of them, although that's very sad :frown:. I only say that as that is one of the traditional things my exam officer says to try and convince us that it's a good idea not to have a cold at exam time. I did have a cold, and I did report it, but I still failed. Oh well.

It was. Obviously it doesn't make up for anything, but at least she didn't have to worry about that. Oh definitely, it takes something very serious to get consideration. One girl was supposed to have an operation on the morning of the exam, and was told that if she turned up she would be very unlikely to get any sort of extra consideration.
Original post by jordi_A
Why no insurance? are you confident?
Im hoping for pharmacy, dont want my first choice now so will ring the unis direct on thursday. Hope to get durham.

I'm not sure Durham ever enter clearing and adjustment, sorry :frown:

Unless that's your insurance?
Original post by rturnbull94
I just rang Manchester, the lady got my details up, asked if I was awaiting my results, then said once, errr if you get your offer... I'm unsure on how to take this :s-smilie:

yeah, that sounds kinda positive, but that's just maybe the optimist in me. I dunno xD. Just reading your comment made me anxious xD.
Oh right, that sounds like a reasonable plan. I had a friend who got the dreaded 'DUDE' last year and most other people who got similar grades (up to and including the incorrectly spelt DUUD), were kicked out, but he was allowed to stay because he had a form of Aspergers. I was glad because he was one of my best friends :smile:. Anyway, when you do apply to university let them know (perhaps accompanied with another doctors note) the reasons behind your retaking a year.

I'm glad your friend was allowed to stay. I only did three AS levels (had to drop one around winter time in the hope that it would help) will that affect anything you think? Less UCAS points isn't it?
Original post by Tanmayee
All she kept saying was "Just wait until Thursday don't worry about it" which in writing is a good thing but her tone seemed a bit unreadable. (Y'know like those horrifyingly scary speaking exam moderators who say "good" with zero expression?) She didn't answer my actual question though. :P

The don't worry about it sounds like a good thing. I dunno xD. Yeah, I can't imagine how you felt when you made the call, just reading your comment about it makes me nervous for you xD.

Yes, and I would crawl upon the carcass of your worse-than-expected grades :colone:

Pfft, try-hard :wink: But even without resits, people next year will be taking so many exams in June... and there uni places depend on all of them! I'll be glad to escape tbh!
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
That's not the point, you said it's only Oxbridge who cares about your AS results which is clearly not true.

Naw

What matters to a Universities is come August when results are published. Some Universities will know that you won't reach their offer, but will grant you one anyway because they like you (e.g. from your personal statement). Despite that you can change things around. I have no idea how the June exams are going to work, but it's possible to retake. If you want AAA or any A*s with low results then you may want to consider retaking year 12.

I applied to Cardiff University with BCDE and they made me an offer of AAB. They emailed me a few weeks later to lower my offer to ABB.

My friend with BCDE also received an offer from Cardiff along with my other friend that had achieved CDDE. All these offers were AAB.

In regards to getting teachers to give you grade references.. You will simply have to take mock exams and prove to your teacher that you can achieve the grade you are looking for. My friend, Mike, had to do this last year for Law and it didn't take that much time to complete.
Do you have any evidence that this rule applies only to Eton. I smell bull****.

It's worse than that, it's probably more, although I can't say anything about Eton in particular, it's seems likely.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

"all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator"

I guess I don't pay 25k+ a year for that privilege, but nonetheless.
Original post by jarasta
yeah, that sounds kinda positive, but that's just maybe the optimist in me. I dunno xD. Just reading your comment made me anxious xD.

Gahh I don't know, maybe I'm over-thinking and hoping for what will never happen :/, man I just want Thursday to come, but I guess that's the same for everyone :/

Latest