The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5200
Original post by PythianLegume
What do you mean? Universities always saw your actual AS grades.

No they didnt, universities didnt see your actual As grades, it was up to you if you wanted to put it on or not depending on if it will credit your application or not. All you needed to give them was a predicted grade. However now you will have to show them your actual AS grade and predicted grade
Original post by pak1994
Hopefully they will let you, but it may also be worth contacting a few other sixth forms that you would be interested in going to. A girl in my year left after AS results and retook the year at another sixth form, so this could be an option.

The prospect of moving schools sounds all too real to me now :laugh: I'll start having a look around
Reply 5202
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
Do some people have 'non-actual' AS grades then? I know folks at Eton don't have to put down their grades if they muck up (which is outrageous enough as it is), but this seems to add a whole new layer of complexity :wink:

Yes this was in previous years if you mocked up you didnt have to put your actual AS grades but only your predicted grades. However things have changed and now it is compulsory to give both :smile:
Tea time! :d
Do the mark schemes come out tomorrow as well or is it just the grade boundaries?
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
It's worse than that, it's probably more, although I can't say anything about Eton in particular, it's seems likely.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

"all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator"

I guess I don't pay 25k+ a year for that privilege, but nonetheless.

That's ridiculous, but I'd almost think that it can be as much of a disadvantage as a benefit.

Original post by AhmedDavid
No they didnt, universities didnt see your actual As grades, it was up to you if you wanted to put it on or not depending on if it will credit your application or not. All you needed to give them was a predicted grade. However now you will have to show them your actual AS grade and predicted grade

In reality, everyone declared their AS-Levels anyway.
Original post by holyfire
The prospect of moving schools sounds all too real to me now :laugh: I'll start having a look around

Sounds like the best thing to do just in case, because then you can go and talk to the school on results day. The girl I mentioned was actually allowed to resit at our school but thought it would be too difficult to see all of her friends applying and going to university, and so she decided on a fresh start.
Reply 5207
Original post by venenecinema
This isn't a new thing, universities have always seen AS grades.

No It was not something you had to show the University, it was up to you to put it on if you thought your grades will add credit to your application so those who didnt do aswell as hoped for in their AS would have got offers because they would have got high predictions.

Its going to be different this year because it is compulsory for everyone to put it on their UCAS.
Reply 5208
Original post by rturnbull94
In all fairness, this is quite good for me, because one of my chemistry teachers hates me, so through both years of sixth form predicted me E's, yet I came out with a high C at AS, and I've been well on track for that, so maybe if they see this then they'll realise that predicted grades aren't everything :smile:

Yeah I agree. Predicted grades arent anything. Ive seen people both excel well above their target grades and fall really short of their target grades also.
Do you have any evidence that this rule applies only to Eton. I smell bull****.

He is right, in the past only State funded schools had to declare their grades to UCAS apparently, independent ones didn't.
Original post by Andaxay
Ahh, thankfully I'm only at AS this year! Can't imagine how nervous A2's are feeling D:

Good luck to you too! Bet you'll do fine too :smile:

Lucky you! I'm not waiting for results day lol, just graduated few weeks ago, but I remember A-Level results day like it was yesterday (I went through it twice). :smile:
Reply 5211
I was supposed to be watching the film Lincoln, but the nerves are starting to make the smallest of tasks impossible :frown:
Original post by ElChapo
He is right, in the past only State funded schools had to declare their grades to UCAS apparently, independent ones didn't.

I know, he just linked to a thread that mentioned it. Rather ridiculous.
And what sort of offers were they getting? Any better than BBB?

it's not rubbish, it is (was?) the norm at public schools....you don't have to put down your AS grades, I would have been stuffed if I did...got BDD....and was predicited AAB. But I did get AAB in the end.
Original post by pak1994
Listening to the soundtrack to Rent seems to be taking my mind off things. It's hard to think of things whilst singing along to music!

I adore that musical! I might watch it on Wednesday night, actually.
I know, he just linked to a thread that mentioned it. Rather ridiculous.

It is unfair, but I'm sure universities cottoned on to the fact that only the people with poorer grades would refuse to declare them.
Original post by pak1994
It was. Obviously it doesn't make up for anything, but at least she didn't have to worry about that. Oh definitely, it takes something very serious to get consideration. One girl was supposed to have an operation on the morning of the exam, and was told that if she turned up she would be very unlikely to get any sort of extra consideration.

Eek that sounds horrendous. I'm so glad I never ended up in such a position :/. That reminds me I've got all the vaccinations I was meant to have since from when I was 2 to have the day after results, which is another thrilling thing to look forward to!

Original post by holyfire
I'm glad your friend was allowed to stay. I only did three AS levels (had to drop one around winter time in the hope that it would help) will that affect anything you think? Less UCAS points isn't it?

Naturally you want as many UCAS points as possible for lower ranked universities. But if you're retaking year 12 it's worth bearing in mind that top universities like 3 good A2s and 1 good AS. So it might be worth your time picking something else up along the way.

Original post by AhmedDavid
Yes this was in previous years if you mocked up you didnt have to put your actual AS grades but only your predicted grades. However things have changed and now it is compulsory to give both :smile:

Ah ok, I'm glad to hear it. Although it seems there are still perhaps others. Are you an Etonian then? Or a friend of?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hackett
it's not rubbish, it is (was?) the norm at public schools....you don't have to put down your AS grades, I would have been stuffed if I did...got BDD....and was predicited AAB. But I did get AAB in the end.

I assumed the person wasn't talking about that.

Original post by venenecinema
It is unfair, but I'm sure universities cottoned on to the fact that only the people with poorer grades would refuse to declare them.

Yeh, like I mentioned - it probably disadvantages you as much as it advantages you.
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
N'aw

What matters to a Universities is come August when results are published. Some Universities will know that you won't reach their offer, but will grant you one anyway because they like you (e.g. from your personal statement). Despite that you can change things around. I have no idea how the June exams are going to work, but it's possible to retake. If you want AAA or any A*s with low results then you may want to consider retaking year 12.

I applied to Cardiff University with BCDE and they made me an offer of AAB. They emailed me a few weeks later to lower my offer to ABB.

My friend with BCDE also received an offer from Cardiff along with my other friend that had achieved CDDE. All these offers were AAB.

In regards to getting teachers to give you grade references.. You will simply have to take mock exams and prove to your teacher that you can achieve the grade you are looking for. My friend, Mike, had to do this last year for Law and it didn't take that much time to complete.

Yh ok, that's you, your friend and Cardiff but that doesn't speak for all universities. And in most cases the most accurate indicator is your AS results.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pak1994
Sounds like the best thing to do just in case, because then you can go and talk to the school on results day. The girl I mentioned was actually allowed to resit at our school but thought it would be too difficult to see all of her friends applying and going to university, and so she decided on a fresh start.

If I was given that option I would definitely stay, I have social anxiety so going to a new school is the last option for me, though I understand why she did that. I'll take a look around but I won't think too hard into it until I get my results!

Latest