The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@sorae
If you want to kick start learning some french vocabulary, I've made flashcards on the GCSE required vocab because I've been learning ahead of time for my exams in Year 10. Right now I've covered 2 modules that probably contain 300 words +. If you want to check it out, here's the link to the first set. I also made sure that I put whether or not they were feminine or masculine because this is something that's essential when forming sentences. Gender agreement in French is soooo important.

If you want tips on conjugations, you can ask me anytime! I've made charts on how to conjugate into the 5 main tenses for all types of regular verbs (Conditional, Imperfect, Passe Compose, Present and Future).
Original post by British-Student
DAMN IT, I knew something would go wrong... it didn't look right written down :frown:

Sounds cool, hope to be following many more threads as we hit the post cap! I'm interested in loads of languages, Japanese looks great, Swedish, Gaelic looks interesting... if I could I'd learn them all :redface:

rydym yn ei defnyddio i gael sticeri yn y dosbarth yn dweud 'Bendigedig' pan fyddwn yn dda :biggrin: I still yearn for bendigedig stickers :getmecoat:

Are you Welsh-centric or looking at other languages too? :smile:

Hahaha no worries, I'm not sure how to say what you wanted either, I'll have to look that up :smile:

What's the post cap? :eek: they're capping posts? :'( nuuuuu. Hahaha well, that's what dabbling's all about, it's the bane of a polyglot's life :frown: alas, eventually we get there with the ones that really means something to us :smile:

Awww dw i'n moyn sticer bendigedig :frown: Yn anffodus dw i ddim yn byw yng Nghymru :frown:

Nope, I officially learn French, German, and Spanish, but I kinda like languages a bit too much, so I end up having all the other ones at varying degrees trailing behind :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5622
Original post by EmyJ14
J'ai un nouveau nom :tongue:

Je suis désolé! Je ne savais pas! :colondollar:
Original post by sorae
I think your French is awesome! Haha. It's like everyone can speak French here... I need to do more work and catch up!
Oh, did you take an exam in French? What level? :-) I'm sure you did awesome!
I'm at Uni now... I wish I took a foreign language at school... but my heart was set on getting into the games industry one way or the other, and I couldn't study Japanese at school unfortunately. Ho hum.

Pretty much a random choice... :-) Wanted something "closer to home". I did consider German since it has a huge presence in the games industry but French won ;-) Maybe I will take up German in future...

Thanks... me too! ;-) (Moi aussi ?)

Thanks, we'll see soon enough :wink: Actually you'll hear the francophones moan a bit, you've caught us on a French day. :tongue: The Germanic speakers aren't around at the moment apart from myself, but I'm sure they'll come to bomb us soon :smile:
Results day, A Level French ^^ Here's hoping I did okay :smile: Well uni is the next best place, are you studying Japanese there now? :smile:

Hahaha yeah I know what you mean. I'm the opposite way around, I'm kinda at home with the major Western European languages, I want to cast my net out a bit further :smile: I highly recommend German if you want a good challenge and to sound immediately attractive :wink: (unfortunately I'm not doing it right -.-).

Oui, moi aussi :smile:
Reply 5624
Original post by AquisM
Je suis désolé! Je ne savais pas! :colondollar:

Pas de problème!! :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haha

Pronoun + Present Venir + de + infinitive

Means to have just done something :smile:

Tu peux répondre en anglais, mais je parlerai en français, alors, tu amélioras :yep:
I taught you that! *proud*
Original post by Octopus_Garden

And you say your French fails you :wink:
Original post by constantmeowage
And you say your French fails you :wink:
It does. But I can memorise interesting written grammatical concepts from the first chapter of my book.

I'm torturing myself each evening with ce dont v dont v lequel, etc at the moment. I thought it was all going well, until I got reintroduced to auquel. The entire house of cards toppled then!

You did :biggrin:

What are those rules you mentioned ^
Original post by constantmeowage
Thanks, we'll see soon enough :wink: Actually you'll hear the francophones moan a bit, you've caught us on a French day. :tongue: The Germanic speakers aren't around at the moment apart from myself, but I'm sure they'll come to bomb us soon :smile:
Results day, A Level French ^^ Here's hoping I did okay :smile: Well uni is the next best place, are you studying Japanese there now? :smile:

Hahaha yeah I know what you mean. I'm the opposite way around, I'm kinda at home with the major Western European languages, I want to cast my net out a bit further :smile: I highly recommend German if you want a good challenge and to sound immediately attractive :wink: (unfortunately I'm not doing it right -.-).

Oui, moi aussi :smile:
Leider bin ich sehr beschäftigt. Ich mache gerade Bewerbungen für Stellen.

oh F***. I have been doing too much French, and I nearly wrote half on that in Franglais. It was really hard not to put je...
Original post by BaconEmperor
Ah c'est intéressant mais je suis d'accord avec ton prof, ton français est très impressionant! Tu as utilisé une variété superbe des traits compliqués dans ton écriture, surtout vu que tu n'as pas encore fait tes examens au niveau de GCSE :smile:
Pourquoi est-ce que tu as décidé d'étudier le français et le chinois? Veux-tu apprendre les autres langues à l'avenir?

Merci :colondollar: Je me sens fière lorsque je peux comprendre ce que vous ècrirons parce que on a l'air que tu est fluent en français. (N'est ce pas?)
Il ne s'agit pas de pourquoi j'ai décidé d'étudier le français, parce que ce n'est pas vrai que c'était moi-même qui ai décidé (can you even do that - putting 'ai décidé, I mean?). En fait, mon école a choisi, pas-moi. Mais j'ai décidé d'étudier le français en plus détail que et to a higher level que ce que nous apprenons au GCSE car -
(Sorry, I'm going to take a break from writing more in French because it's a bit tiring)
- I just seem to have a knack for French and I really enjoy exploring and learning another language. Thinking about how other people think in that language in the same way that I think in English just blows my mind and I think that it'd be a waste not to learn other languages when it can give me so many opportunities in the future. I don't think that I should go into too much detail because I might not be able to stop but I hope you get the gist of my reasons. :smile:

Oh and please correct me on this sentence, it just feels wrong:confused::
Il ne s'agit pas de pourquoi j'ai décidé d'étudier le français, parce que ce n'est pas vrai que c'était moi-même qui ai décidé .
(edited 10 years ago)
It does. But I can memorise interesting written grammatical concepts from the first chapter of my book.

I'm torturing myself each evening with ce dont v dont v lequel, etc at the moment. I thought it was all going well, until I got reintroduced to auquel. The entire house of cards toppled then!

I don't think we did things like lequel until mid A2, that wouldn't be something you'd have to worry about for a while :tongue: I don't get ce dont very much yet, but dont is just what you say instead of duquel and just remember that auquel is just au and quel squidged together :smile:

I probably didn't help at all :frown:
You did :biggrin:

What are those rules you mentioned ^

The auquel stuff? I have absolutely no bloody idea how it all works!
Original post by Marii101
我的天啊,Je dois me joindre cette 'thread'! On a l'air d'être amusant et je meurs presque d'ennui! Est-ce qu'il y a quelqu'un qui peut parler un peu de français ou de chinois? Sauf L'Evil Fish, bien sûr; je sais déjà que vous pourrez parler le français encore mieux que moi. :biggrin:

Bonjour fellow French speaker :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The auquel stuff? I have absolutely no bloody idea how it all works!

Je verrai *googles auquel et lequel* si je comprends... :colone:
Original post by Molly_xox
Bonjour fellow French speaker :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bonjour! :biggrin: Tu t'appelles Molly?
Reply 5636
Original post by Marii101

那你为什么学汉语呢?你喜欢学亚洲语言吗?
I get it :colone:

I think... Remembering the spellings is what I'll need to do... :unimpressed:

Le livre dans lequel j'ai écrit n'était pas le livre de mon père.

The book in which I wrote wasn't my father's book?
I get it :colone:

I think... Remembering the spellings is what I'll need to do... :unimpressed:

Le livre dans lequel j'ai écrit n'était pas le livre de mon père.

The book in which I wrote wasn't my father's book?

Formidable! ^^
Original post by AquisM
那你为什么学汉语呢?你喜欢学亚洲语言吗?

我学汉语因为在以后,我要住在中国,还是台湾。我认为汉语很有用的语言,所以会帮我到工作。此外,我也认为中国的文化很有趣的,和我对中国的食物有兴趣。有原因很多,可是我想有兴趣是the most important.

Latest

Trending

Trending