The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Original post by Red Fox
I passed but went to my local school (worst in the city which is 2nd worst for education). I don't regret it at all.

Oh how comes? & good on you!
Honestly speaking, the individual often has more impact on themselves than their school
Original post by lubsjk
Me too. I wish I sat more exams. The maths teachers made us sit the exam this year so that we at least had a good grade in our bag, and can focus on improving and then resit next year. I don't know why the English teachers didn't do the same. >_<

Congrats for getting that A* and A :-)

I did all of Language in Year 10 and all of Literature in Year 11. Got an A* in Maths in Year 10 and did Additional Maths in Year 11.
Reply 2962
Original post by tsjmcgrath
Seriously? That's idiotic. I know I might get negged for this, but I think some people and schools take the whole "you tried your best" attitude too far. They leave out the top end students because they focus so much on trying to reward and encourage the lower end students who, often, don't care. Key word being "often" there, as many of them do care.

I'll be lucky to get anything about say £100 for all my grades combined.

Yeah same, I would be fine with anything really, it's not like I'm entitled to money in any way!

Yeah, his parents just spoil him too much, gets what he wants kind of kid... I know what you mean about encouraging lower end students, our school barely tried to encourage the top end students because they were focused on getting the lower end pupils 'up to scratch'
Well, results day will be interesting, i'll have everything from D's to A*'s :redface: Why can't I be consistent...

Original post by lubsjk
Wow! You're a genius o.o I wish my school would push students further. The teachers focus more on the dumb kids who don't even care about grades, so us that do, end up having to do a lot of the work ourselves.
Congratulations on those grades, by the way! What do you plan on doing in uni?

You don't happen to have target grades below what you get in exams do you? When that happens, you know the school has truly lost interest :/
Original post by elixirs
Oh how comes? & good on you!
Honestly speaking, the individual often has more impact on themselves than their school

Basically 98% of my Primary School went there and I just felt more comfortable already having friends in my secondary school. There are 2 private schools in Coventry. 1 kid out of 90+ went to one in my year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2966
Original post by Red Fox
I did all of Language in Year 10 and all of Literature in Year 11. Got an A* in Maths in Year 10 and did Additional Maths in Year 11.

We did all of Language in Year 10 too but we are sitting the exam next year o_O and the teachers want some of us to do the English and Maths IGCSE in January. My school is kinda messed up.
Original post by elixirs
By persuading current mods, whilst stroking your long shrivelled grey beard...
:beard::wink:

hahaha I'll need to get more gems :frown: ... and :O I can be GANDALF!!!
Reply 2968

The amount of times that's been posted!

It's nothing to worry about. As said before, nothing is changing, the exams were just harder supposedly, so if you were doing well, you've done well. They're not altering marking or anything unfair.
Reply 2969
Original post by Red Fox
Basically 98% of my Primary School went there and I just felt more comfortable already having friends in my secondary school. There are 2 private schools in Coventry. 1 kid out of 90+ went to one in my year.

Fair enough!
5 years+ at a school you feel isolated at, is in itself very off-putting
Reply 2970
Original post by Glitch96
Well, results day will be interesting, i'll have everything from D's to A*'s :redface: Why can't I be consistent...

You don't happen to have target grades below what you get in exams do you? When that happens, you know the school has truly lost interest :/

I do. My target grades are all Bs and Cs but I get As and A*s. The school only loves the geeky ones that always hang around with the teachers (and there happens to be two of them in my year). The rest of us mean nothing to them.
Original post by elixirs
Fair enough!
5 years+ at a school you feel isolated at, is in itself very off-putting

I'm quite an awkward person unless I'm around my mates aswell. About that point I said about having friends at my secondary school, all of my group of friends at the moment either went to other primary schools or I never talked to them in primary school.
Reply 2972
Original post by techno836
hahaha I'll need to get more gems :frown: ... and :O I can be GANDALF!!!

Yes, yes... but since you're now Gandalf a few lousy gems are as easy beans to get:smug:
Reply 2973
Original post by Red Fox
I'm quite an awkward person unless I'm around my mates aswell. About that point I said about having friends at my secondary school, all of my group of friends at the moment either went to other primary schools or I never talked to them in primary school.

Ah, well it's good to hear you had friends so you could feel less awkward. I'm assuming you're staying in the same school then (for A levels)?
Original post by elixirs
Yes, yes... but since you're now Gandalf a few lousy gems are as easy beans to get:smug:

haha yeah .. in the fellowship of the ring he just pulls a massive white one out of nowhere :lol: (he uses it to light the mines of moria )
Original post by elixirs
Ah, well it's good to hear you had friends so you could feel less awkward. I'm assuming you're staying in the same school then (for A levels)?

Yeah and so is 2/3 of my year so it's not really going to be that different from normal school for me. We have to be in school all day even for free periods.
Reply 2976
Original post by techno836
haha yeah .. in the fellowship of the ring he just pulls a massive white one out of nowhere :lol: (he uses it to light the mines of moria )

Hahhahaha, a massive white gem equivalent to +300:tongue:
You have got me in a LOTR mood, movie day tomorrow it is!
Original post by elixirs
Hahhahaha, a massive white gem equivalent to +300:tongue:
You have got me in a LOTR mood, movie day tomorrow it is!

haha yeah :biggrin: .. can't wait until the new hobbit is out :biggrin: ..reminds me im going pictures tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 2978
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah and so is 2/3 of my year so it's not really going to be that different from normal school for me. We have to be in school all day even for free periods.

Good, I guess that way you can give the whole 'getting settled in' phase a miss! Ah, unfortunate. Technically, we're allowed to leave, but the school I'm going to is in the middle of forests and nowhere really:s-smilie:
I am in year 9 and I had to sit spanish on the 17th to take a second language into ks4. If I don't get an A* then :frown:. So :crossedf::crossedf:

Btw I hope everyone gets good results :smile:, it really is much more intense than I initially thought

Latest