The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jarasta
Anyone care to share what they gave themselves?

I think I've probably got around 80 (give or take a few marks) without S marks, but I definitely didn't get that many of the S marks so I doubt I would have gotten more than 85.
Reply 261
Original post by brittanna
I think I've probably got around 80 (give or take a few marks) without S marks, but I definitely didn't get that many of the S marks so I doubt I would have gotten more than 85.

wow that fantastic!!

You've definitely got the Distinction :tongue:. I hope the boundary is in the 60s so I'm safe, otherwise I'll never forgive myself for the mistakes I made, basically I've cost myself 5marks because I added wrong and blanked out. But you two have done really well so I'm wondering if people actually all did that well across the board :eek:

Is your firm Warwick Maths?
I wouldn't mind getting a Merit, really. I'd be depressed if I failed....
Original post by yl95
I wouldn't mind getting a Merit, really. I'd be depressed if I failed....

How do you think you've done after looking at the mark scheme? I'd assume if you've got more than 50-ish you'd definitely get a merit
Original post by jarasta
wow that fantastic!!

You've definitely got the Distinction :tongue:. I hope the boundary is in the 60s so I'm safe, otherwise I'll never forgive myself for the mistakes I made, basically I've cost myself 5marks because I added wrong and blanked out. But you two have done really well so I'm wondering if people actually all did that well across the board :eek:

Is your firm Warwick Maths?

Hopefully, although I could be wrong and may have done much worse than I expected. I still made a lot of stupid mistakes as well though. On question 2, I did 360-theta to get the other values and didn't notice until I had about 30 seconds left. So I didn't have time to change most of my answers :facepalm:. As to whether lots of people have done well, hopefully not :colondollar:.

And yeah, Warwick is my firm choice. Is that the same with you?
Reply 265
Hopefully, although I could be wrong and may have done much worse than I expected. I still made a lot of stupid mistakes as well though. On question 2, I did 360-theta to get the other values and didn't notice until I had about 30 seconds left. So I didn't have time to change most of my answers :facepalm:. As to whether lots of people have done well, hopefully not :colondollar:.

And yeah, Warwick is my firm choice. Is that the same with you?

I hate it when that happens, notice that you've made a mistake just as you are about to finish. Yh true,I could have done worse that I've given myself :/, hopefully not. I hope most people didn't do too well either :colone:, just to lower the boundaries :colondollar:.

Yeah I Warwick is my firm choice as well. Warwick is known to be lenient, so if I've hopefully Aced my A-levels with a high merit, they will let me in. Would be nice to meet you at Warwick.
Original post by Hamster96
How do you think you've done after looking at the mark scheme? I'd assume if you've got more than 50-ish you'd definitely get a merit

I haven't looked at the mark scheme; I'm too scared! Getting a Merit will neither harm nor improve my application though for the universities I'm looking at, annoyingly.
I think I've got more than 50 though...
Original post by jarasta
I hate it when that happens, notice that you've made a mistake just as you are about to finish. Yh true,I could have done worse that I've given myself :/, hopefully not. I hope most people didn't do too well either :colone:, just to lower the boundaries :colondollar:.

Yeah I Warwick is my firm choice as well. Warwick is known to be lenient, so if I've hopefully Aced my A-levels with a high merit, they will let me in. Would be nice to meet you at Warwick.

It's not the first tome I've done it either. The only thing is it only seems to happen on my real exams (question 1 on the jan 2013 c3 paper :unimpressed:)

Yeah, I think I saw someone else say that they care more about the A levels than about STEP/ AEA. Did you take any of the STEP papers? It would be nice to meet you as well :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 268
It's not the first tome I've done it either. The only thing is it only seems to happen on my real exams (question 1 on the jan 2013 c3 paper :unimpressed:)

Yeah, I think I saw someone else say that they care more about the A levels than about STEP/ AEA. Did you take any of the STEP papers? It would be nice to meet you as well :biggrin:.

It's my was my first time, in my other maths exams, I noticed in enough time, s2 and fp4 etc. So maybe my luck run out with AEA and with AEA I found I was more chilled, borderline indifference, whilst I was more nervous and alert for my other ones.

I imagine/hope if I got A*s in all my A-levels, it would kinda be in my favour. Maybe they will think, oooh he clearly didn't prepare too much for AEA as his A-levels. All A*s is pretty impressive anyway so he should be capable or something like that. HA!

No I didn't I wish I had done because I'd done quite a lot of STEP I & II after doing the AEA papers earlier on.I would have needed to enter by late entry and I simply couldn't afford both AEA and STEP. My school wasn't paying so :/. My teacher also advised against it and I followed his advice :smile:.

What accommodation did you apply to, out of curiosity?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jarasta
It's my was my first time, in my other maths exams, I noticed in enough time, s2 and fp4 etc. So maybe my luck run out with AEA and with AEA I found I was more chilled, borderline indifference, whilst I was more nervous and alert for my other ones.

I imagine/hope if I got A*s in all my A-levels, it would kinda be in my favour. Maybe they will think, oooh he clearly didn't prepare too much for AEA as his A-levels. All A*s is pretty impressive anyway so he should be capable or something like that. HA!

No I didn't I wish I had done because I'd done quite a lot of STEP I & II after doing the AEA papers earlier on.I would have needed to enter by late entry and I simply couldn't afford both AEA and STEP. My school wasn't paying so :/. My teacher also advised against it and I followed his advice :smile:.

What accommodation did you apply to, out of curiosity?

I put Westwood as my first choice, and Lakeside as my second. I wouldn't mind which one I got as long as it's one of those two (i.e. 39 weeks and not too expensive). Which accommodation did you apply to?
Reply 270
I put Westwood as my first choice, and Lakeside as my second. I wouldn't mind which one I got as long as it's one of those two (i.e. 39 weeks and not too expensive). Which accommodation did you apply to?

I put rootes,westwood,heronbank,cryfield,jack martin,sherbourne.
My biggest deciding factor was also the 39 weeks, I don't wanna be moving out every term and I'm sure I would stay behind to do work or whatever at the end of term. It's nice having the option at least and not two expensive either. Same criterion as you really.
Do we get the AEA results along with A Level results, or do we have to sign up somewhere?
Original post by Math-Magician
Do we get the AEA results along with A Level results, or do we have to sign up somewhere?

I wasn't given any details about signing up online, so i'm guessing it just comes with our A Level results.
Reply 273

I wasn't given any details about signing up online, so i'm guessing it just comes with our A Level results.

They come on your A-Level exam slips
Ok thanks :smile:
The grade boundaries are:

D: 70
M: 51
The grade boundaries are:

D: 70
M: 51

Where did you find this out? The distinction boundary isn't as low as I'd hoped but probably about where I expected.

I got back from the US this morning so there's nothing to distract me from waiting for results now :s-smilie:
I've gotten a U in this exam then :redface:
Where did you find this out? The distinction boundary isn't as low as I'd hoped but probably about where I expected.

I got back from the US this morning so there's nothing to distract me from waiting for results now :s-smilie:

Arsey posted them (the same person that posted all the other maths ones).

At least it's only one day now (well almost one day, anyway :colondollar:).

Yeah, i'm okay with the Distinction boundary, although I did think it was more difficult than some of the earlier papers with lower boundaries, but then again I'm biased :tongue:.
Original post by MathsNerd1
I've gotten a U in this exam then :redface:

I'm sure you've got at least a merit :smile:. And anyway, you've still got STEP as well which you've probably done well in.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending