The Student Room Group

Got in 2.2 second year- How to get a 2.1 or 1st?

Title should be: Got a 2.2 in second year. How to get a 2.1 or a 1st.

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

My weighting of my second and third year are 25% for second and 75% for third. For my second year we had seven modules where I received 54% , 47% , 45% , 50%, 62% , 42% And 58%. Is it possible for me to get a first in my third year at all? If so, what percentages should I be aiming for to receive this result.

Would it be possible for anyone to show me how to calculate what % would be needed for a a 2.1 aswell

Going on the stats are:
1st -70%
2:1 - 60%

Any help would be great. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Assuming all modules are equal weighting:

54+47+45+50+62+42+58 = 358

358/7 = 51.1% = 2.2 overall for second year

51.1/100 x 25 = 12.775% (this is the percentage your second year has contributed to your overall degree classification using the marks you achieved)

To achieve a first you will need:

70-12.775 = 57.225

57.225/75 x 100 = 76.3% overall from your third year modules

To achieve a 2.1 you will need:

60-12.775 = 47.225

47.225/75 x 100 = 63% overall from your third year modules

Since second year was only worth a quarter of your overall degree, it means getting a 2.2 isn't the end of the world and you can bring your third year marks up to achieve a 2.1 or a 1st if you work at it. 76.3% on average for your modules to get an overall 1st might seem quite high, but it is achievable if you dedicate the time to improve on your work and take feedback into account from your previous marks. Neither a 1st or 2.1 are out of reach.
(edited 10 years ago)
It is possible, however, rather than worrying about the percentages you need, you should be speaking to your lecturers to find out what you need to do to bring your work up to a 2.1/first standard. What let you down this year? And how did you do in first year? If it was exams, perhaps you need to focus on improving your revision technique, taking better notes throughout the year, and dealing with stress better. If it was coursework, make sure you are following the marking criteria closely, and you answer the question. To get above a 2.2, you generally need to be including your own ideas- do you need to do more additional reading/research.

Also, if you are doing a dissertation this year, the grade you get in that may affect what classification your final degree will have. Some universities/courses have a rule that you cannot get a first without getting a first in your dissertation. Getting a good dissertation mark will bring up your overall results, though, particularly if you do less well in exams.

Given that you took 7 modules last year, I would guess they do not all have equal weighting. How many modules are you taking this year, and how many credits is each module worth?
Reply 3
Original post by SpicyStrawberry

51.1/100 x 25 = 12.775% (this is the percentage your second year has contributed to your overall degree classification using the marks you achieved)

70-12.775 = 57.225

60-12.775 = 47.225

Since second year was only worth a quarter of your overall degree, it means getting a 2.2 isn't the end of the world and you can bring your third year marks up to achieve a 2.1 or a 1st if you work at it. 76.3% on average for your modules to get an overall 1st might seem quite high, but it is achievable if you dedicate the time to improve on your work and take feedback into account from your previous marks. Neither a 1st or 2.1 are out of reach.

Thank you. I wanted to find out the % I needed so I could give myself a kick up the bum and start motivating myself. In the past I have done my exams and work without having a specific target in mind so I'm hoping that I will now make more of an effort with my work now that I have a % to work towards.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It is possible, however, rather than worrying about the percentages you need, you should be speaking to your lecturers to find out what you need to do to bring your work up to a 2.1/first standard. What let you down this year? And how did you do in first year? If it was exams, perhaps you need to focus on improving your revision technique, taking better notes throughout the year, and dealing with stress better. If it was coursework, make sure you are following the marking criteria closely, and you answer the question. To get above a 2.2, you generally need to be including your own ideas- do you need to do more additional reading/research.

Also, if you are doing a dissertation this year, the grade you get in that may affect what classification your final degree will have. Some universities/courses have a rule that you cannot get a first without getting a first in your dissertation. Getting a good dissertation mark will bring up your overall results, though, particularly if you do less well in exams.

Given that you took 7 modules last year, I would guess they do not all have equal weighting. How many modules are you taking this year, and how many credits is each module worth?

I did 8 modules at 15credits each in second year. The best 105 credits are taken into account and the one with the lowest mark is dropped.

Third year: 8 modules, 6 are 15 credits each and my dissertation is a double moudle worth 30credits. Once again the best 7 modules will be taken into account with thee with the lowest marks being dropped.

I will be meeting my lecturers at the start of september to discuss what I need to do. I reckon I do worse in exams - I have already devised a studying timetable on what I will study each day rather than leave revision to the last month. I just think no matter how much I prepare for the exams the wording on the questions throws me off course during them exams. Is it only me that thinks the questions should be asked in a simpler way?

I just wanted to know what % to aim for in my final year rather than just do my assignments and hope for the best like I have been doing. Now I can have a goal to work towards.

Thanks
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It is possible, however, rather than worrying about the percentages you need, you should be speaking to your lecturers to find out what you need to do to bring your work up to a 2.1/first standard. What let you down this year?

I 100% agree with this. Percentages are important and believe me, I'd be working them out too but the main thing to focus on is how to boost your work. A 2:2 isn't a bad classification, but you should always set goals above what you've already achieved so a 2.1/1st sounds awesome :smile:
It depends what subject you do, but I got just off a first in my first year and since I'm a History student, I read widely around my subject, and also took out books that weren't even in my direct subject section but were a 'hidden gem' that was relevant and that others wouldn't have. I also took up all opportunities to see tutors and was in regular email contact.
Original post by Pinksoh
I did 8 modules at 15credits each in second year. The best 105 credits are taken into account and the one with the lowest mark is dropped.

Third year: 8 modules, 6 are 15 credits each and my dissertation is a double moudle worth 30credits. Once again the best 7 modules will be taken into account with thee with the lowest marks being dropped.

I will be meeting my lecturers at the start of september to discuss what I need to do. I reckon I do worse in exams - I have already devised a studying timetable on what I will study each day rather than leave revision to the last month. I just think no matter how much I prepare for the exams the wording on the questions throws me off course during them exams. Is it only me that thinks the questions should be asked in a simpler way?

I just wanted to know what % to aim for in my final year rather than just do my assignments and hope for the best like I have been doing. Now I can have a goal to work towards.

Thanks

If you struggle with exam questions, then find out if your university publishes past papers. You can then look at previous exams and think about how you would tackle them. Last year, some of my lecturers also provided example good and bad answers for exams, which can be useful. The wording does trip people up- one of the example answers seemed very good, in the sense it was a good, detailed scientific essay, but the lecturer said 2/3 of it wasn't relevant to the question, and thus this section wouldn't gain any marks.

Studying each day is a good idea. I would make notes of any useful papers or books to come back to closer to exam time. Last year I got a 2:1 with firsts in 2 modules. I think the reason I got a first for those modules is that I focused specifically on answering the questions, and on the assignment tried to fufill all the criteria. However, alongside this, I brought in examples from my own research, and tried to anyalise, rather than describe.
Reply 7
Hi,

I am going to go into my final year of Uni.

Having read the above post this made sense and it is useful. Relating to my situation, in my second I did 4 modules and a re-take module.

The following are my results;

56, 53, 40, 40.

In my final year can someone please tell me what I need to get for all modules in final year? I have worked out a estimate but want to be on the safe side to know from someone else.

In final year I will do 6 modules and a project which is worth double credits.

I want an average first or 2:1 for degree classification.
Reply 8
Original post by RaMiah
Hi,

I am going to go into my final year of Uni.

Having read the above post this made sense and it is useful. Relating to my situation, in my second I did 4 modules and a re-take module.

The following are my results;

56, 53, 40, 40.

In my final year can someone please tell me what I need to get for all modules in final year? I have worked out a estimate but want to be on the safe side to know from someone else.

In final year I will do 6 modules and a project which is worth double credits.

I want an average first or 2:1 for degree classification.

Not enough information. We need to know the weightings of each of your years and modules (modules in the same year are usually equal but not always).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry

70-12.775 = 57.225

60-12.775 = 47.225

That's really helpful! I've just used that to figure out what I need, thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi

Does anyone know how the weighted average system works.

I got 53.1 in my second year.

I just wanted to know what grade i have to aim for in third year to get a 2.1 over all.

my uni takes the best 105 credits from second year and the best 105 credits from third year.

Can someone help please
Reply 11
In a module of mine i got 40% on an essay worth 25%, what will I have to get in the exam, which is worth 75% in order to pass?
Reply 12
Original post by alzypx
In a module of mine i got 40% on an essay worth 25%, what will I have to get in the exam, which is worth 75% in order to pass?

http://unigradecalc.com/
Reply 13
Original post by alzypx

I believe 40% to get 40%
Reply 14
Hi,

I wanted some help on working out what percentage I need to get a 2.1 overall, or if it is even possible.

I have just finished my second year in which we had 6 modules. I didnt do my best because of difficulties at the time..
My grades: 40, 40, 42, 43, 45, 58 - which makes an average of around 45 I think.

Second year weighs at 20% and final year is 80%. Also each module is 20 credits

I just want an idea of what I need to be working towards so I can push myself next year.
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Sonixo
Hi,

I wanted some help on working out what percentage I need to get a 2.1 overall, or if it is even possible.

I have just finished my second year in which we had 6 modules. I didnt do my best because of difficulties at the time..
My grades: 40, 40, 42, 43, 45, 58 - which makes an average of around 45 I think.

I just want an idea of what I need to be working towards so I can push myself next year.

To get 60 overall, you'll need 63.833333%
Count your blessings that it's only a 20:80 split.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I have my grades back for second year, which I am really disappointed with.

My grades: 40,42,43,45,49,59. Each worth 20 credits.

My second year weighs 30% and final year is 70%.
I would like a 2:1 overall, what do I need to achieve this.
Thanks
Guys I'm making an app which will do is type of calculation for you! The android version should come out in about 2 weeks time, followed by an iOS version maybe next month!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng
Guys I'm making an app which will do is type of calculation for you! The android version should come out in about 2 weeks time, followed by an iOS version maybe next month!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool :yy:
Reply 19
Original post by Sonixo
Hi,

Hmm why are you settling for a 2.1? I believe you can get an overall first

Latest