The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lorem Ipsum
I'm fairly sure about History and Philosophy, less sure about Geography and Drama. What subjects are you waiting for? Nothing quite like consoling oneself over Big Macs :wink:.

Ah, Philosophy. Ditto on that one. What modules did you study? I had to do God both years and it got boring. :/ And English Language and English Literature. I'm alright for Lit, I think, just language is tormenting me a little bit. :confused:

Haha, very true my friend. I will wash down my processed burger, cheese and fries with a pint of self-pity sprite. :wink:
Loving alternating between this thread and reading the results day excuses hashtag on Twitter.
'Dad: Why did you get a bloody E?!'
'Me: But dad, E means excellent :hide:'
*hiding from the dreaded slipper beating*
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zizza
Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?

During the exams we basically add up our potential marks! Especially for maths papers as it's more of a simple yes/no. Also can relax us as if they are low it hopefully means we will get a better grade! And if it's really high....well then we're screwed!
Reply 6343
Oh God :redface:

is this old? It mentioned Blair
Original post by im so academic
I'll throw a huge hissy fit on results day. Because I know I got **** marks.

If you know that dont get so butt hurt over not going to Oxbridge then, not a lot you can do is there.

As was said before, totally ridiculous things to base your self worth on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are the ****ing grade boundaries? Let me see how **** I actually did.
Please anyone can get into Imperial.

Only the heavenly few get into Oxbridge.

Poor effort. 0/10
Original post by zizza
Indulge me for a minute - I'm a confused parent! Why is it so important to find out grade boundaries when you don't know what marks you got in your exams?

Because you can take a gander at what mark you might get and how the exam went overall for everyone. Like lower grade boundaries from last year mean it was harder and more likely to get a better grade. but higher grade boundaries and we all freak out. :woo:
Original post by SamJHill
If you know that dont get so butt hurt over not going to Oxbridge then, not a lot you can do is there.

As was said before, totally ridiculous things to base your self worth on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My intelligence (or lack of) contributes a lot to my self worth.
I did not get straight As, let alone 90%+. I know.

Hey, I just read your previous post. Seriously, don't worry. Before you assume anything, wait till you get your results. Mine certainly weren't special (AAAC with 88% in my top 3) yet I managed to get a place - and several stastical analyses i've come across clearly show that this isn't uncommon either. I'd assume the process for HSPS is quite similar to that of geography, and its competitiveness isn't much different either (3 applicants a place). If you really love your subject as you do, having grades that aren't the average for success doesn't discount you as much as you may think - especially for arts subjects.

Also at this point it's probably worth me pointing out that I had the same doubts as you, and I was quite scared I wouldn't get an A in history year - but I did.

Chin up! :smile: If you want, PM me after you get your results and we can have a chat.
(edited 10 years ago)

Oh dear.

Then again... there is always some sort of fiasco on Results day :rolleyes:
Reply 6352
Please anyone can get into Imperial.

Only the heavenly few get into Oxbridge.

If you don't get into imperial il be laughing somewhere. Best of luck though.
Reply 6353
Original post by zizza

Some unofficial mark schemes where made after the exams where sat, so many of us have a general idea of our mark. Also a low grade boundary would suggest a difficult paper, which may comfort some if they found the paper alright.
Original post by LeoDiCaprio
Surely they are entitled to be disappointed? It takes a lot of work to aspire to go to these places, and missing out on going to the one of the best establishments in the world by such fine margins must be horrible. In the heat of the moment they may be incredibly upset because they worked so hard for something and didn't achieve it. It's not like unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants give up with life, they get on with it. It just must hurt for a while afterwards.

And no, I didn't apply for Oxbridge myself. But being the best takes a lot of dedication.

Try telling the kids on a downward spiral of depression and posting it all over this forum that. Not me that'll be in a mental ward if my grades aren't great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that it was published last year so irrelevant

http://www.stumbleupon.com/content/26O5j5

If it's written by the daily mail, its not worth reading as anything other than trolling, scaremongering, or poorly presented satire.
Original post by bunny96
Great looks like I'll be on edge for hours then :frown: Are you staying up? You're waiting for one OCR exam arn't you?

Yh I know it's a horrible feeling :frown:, yh Physics Unit 1 on OCR and you?
Reply 6358
Original post by billyfisher100
I know, all we ask is that they release 1 f#%*ing document! We're not asking for much!

Exactly! The least they could do is let one member stay up to upload the file! It's not like hundreds of terrified teenagers are staying up waiting on edge to know their futures or anything?!
Where are they?! What are they doing?!
Reply 6359
Original post by zizza

Question papers and mark schemes are already out. So some of us have calculated what we think we might get .

Latest