The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
I think if you can do that, you're very intelligence. I can't do that! Many Oxbridgers can. I find that quality impressive. :erm:

We'll see. Put it this way, if I get straight As, you probably won't be getting a PM from me.

I don't know. Part of me thinks that if I do get into Oxbridge, I'll realise the reality that Oxbridgers are just normal people who happen to be intelligent and hard-working.

Actually - how would you define intelligence? What makes you think that a person is intelligent?

I think my definition is incorrect.

Being able to speak eloquently isn't intelligence, it's often a way of just making yourself appear smarter than you are.

Intelligence can't really be defined, there are numerous forms.

Personally to me, intelligence is being able to pick up and apply new concepts quickly and effectively over a range of subjects.

So I'd be in awe of someone who can do advanced levels (not a levels...) of mathematics, understand the sciences, speak more than one language whilst also being able to communicate and articulate ideas effectively.

An intelligent person is also who can empathise in my opinion.
Original post by Arva
Alumni*

The alma mater is the university itself, alumni are its graduates.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

But you get what I mean.

Please, when was the last time you've heard of a Met graduate revolutionising anything besides how to stack cornflake boxes?
Original post by Titus20
No

I thought people were saying earlier today on this thread, that the boundaries for edexcal and ocr would be published at midnight (just now) :confused:

so when are they coming out?
Reply 6503
Yes, it is the amalgamation of the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge... I know.

But "going to Oxbridge" is such a bad turn of phrase.

For the record, I should be going to Oxford, you're correct.
Original post by billyfisher100
I agree - How about a late night movie marathon to pass the time. Any suggestions??

Sounds good, although I don't have any suggestions :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
You can go on UCAS at about 8 am and find out whether the uni offer has been confirmed, so if your school doesn't open until later (Like mine, which isn't open until 10am) then you can find out whether you're into uni before getting A Level results.

STEP results are obviously a bit earlier than all of this as you get them at midnight. This is both a blessing and a curse because if you meet the STEP offer you can be fairly comfortable of having got your place but if you haven't then the night won't be enjoyable especially for near misses.

Ah, that's cool. Will you delay checking your STEP results?
Is anyone staying up?
Reply 6507
I've tried looking through a few pages of different threads and can't find anything so does anyone have any news on the WJEC boundaries?

I've just seen that apparently WJEC don't release them today. ah well
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Being able to speak eloquently isn't intelligence, it's often a way of just making yourself appear smarter than you are.

Yes it is, especially if you have top degrees from Oxbridge.

Intelligence can't really be defined, there are numerous forms.

Oh please, not the wishy-washy seven intelligences theory. *******s.

Personally to me, intelligence is being able to pick up and apply new concepts quickly and effectively over a range of subjects.

Over a range of subjects? I disagree. That discounts quite a few Oxbridgers.

So I'd be in awe of someone who can do advanced levels (not a levels...) of mathematics, understand the sciences, speak more than one language whilst also being able to communicate and articulate ideas effectively.

That's perfection, not intelligence.

An intelligent person is also who can empathise in my opinion.

OK.
He must be clever enough to get in, in the first place. Also clever enough to convince people to support his bull**** policies (well some of them).

EDIT: Never met an Oxbridger over 30, I'm talking about Oxbridgers between 19 and maybe 25/26 max?

Really? I come across a lot of oxbridge grad teachers in my schools
To add to the Oxbridge thing: My sister is at Cambridge, she is still mortal, clever, but nothing too special.

Also, you shouldn't worry too much about not getting in. If you get in life is not any easier. The first thing my sister was told by her tutor was that she hadn't ever worked hard in her life and that there will be points in her degree where she will cry. She was told that her tutor didn't care about anything other than results and she couldn't care less about home/emotional life.
Original post by the A* guy
Is anyone staying up?

I have no choice - I don't sleep well any nights so might as well spend this one waiting for the boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you get what I mean.

Please, when was the last time you've heard of a Met graduate revolutionising anything besides how to stack cornflake boxes?

If those boxes were spherical, then you could pack them more efficiently in 24 dimensions :yes:.
Reply 6513

But you get what I mean.

Harry Henry.

Edward Robert Harrison.
Original post by billyfisher100
I agree - How about a late night movie marathon to pass the time. Any suggestions??

I'm considering watching like a series of films tomorrow/tomorrow night, maybe Harry Potter or LOTR. I also want to catch up to the current season of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad so I might do that. Right now I'm just passing time on Youtube haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
This guy is making it seem like any Engineering degree not from oxbridge is pants but you're just wrong too -__- Engineering firms would be happy to take on oxbridge graduates I'm sure and certainly wouldn't discriminate against them

I went to a firm and they staid that most firms at the top only take about one Oxbridge applicant each year bc of the reason I posted above. She said that usually they have to pay for an extra course for outstanding Oxbridge applicants. I'm not saying the course is crap. it's just not the best choice if you really want to go into a really particular field of engineering at the top. I'm working with engineering PhD students and lecturers and firm officials at the moment actually, it's the same thing I got from them too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Really? I come across a lot of oxbridge grad teachers in my schools

They don't have to be over 30 you know.
Original post by the A* guy
Is anyone staying up?

My sleeping pattern's ****ed up anyway. I'm practically nocturnal
What I've Learnt today on the TSR,

If one does not go to Cambridge or Oxford , They are not classed as 'Intelligent' :emo:
Original post by YThursday
To add to the Oxbridge thing: My sister is at Cambridge, she is still mortal, clever, but nothing too special.

Also, you shouldn't worry too much about not getting in. If you get in life is not any easier. The first thing my sister was told by her tutor was that she hadn't ever worked hard in her life and that there will be points in her degree where she will cry. She was told that her tutor didn't care about anything other than results and she couldn't care less about home/emotional life.

That's what revolutionises this world. Being pushed to your limits. That's success.

You wouldn't get that at Newcastle, would you now?

Latest