The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Is it a coincidence that virtually every Oxbridge person was extremely intelligent and heavenly and just ever so amazing?

That's not distortion, that's my experience. I've spoken with real Oxbridge people.
bleh. everytime I post, I see another post from you from a few minutes ago. I'm a slow typer. Anyway this will probably be my last post because I need to sleep.
in one of your earlier posts you drew a distinction between people who value education and people who don't, and you expressed that valuing education is separate from being intelligent.
You said that you are not intelligent but you do value education
You said that at oxford, everyone is intelligent and most value education.
I've hung out with plenty of oxford people and I can confirm the above statement.
I can also tell you that in other universities, you'll find people who may not be quite as intelligent, but still value education.
Wouldn't you want to hang around with them? they sound a lot like you..

as for the distortion thing, oxford is above the rest, but not miles above the rest. and they probably seemed much more heavenly because you expected them to be heavenly.

I do home you end up happy wherever you are, but please understand that in some of your posts you have been quite rude. remember that some people (like me) value education and aren't even in that LEAGUE. you say "anyone can get into imperial" but I know I can't! does that mean I should be really depressed and my existence is pointless? not in my view. I'll just be hanging out with people who have similar levels of intelligence to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Ah, that's cool. Will you delay checking your STEP results?

No, I don't have the self-discipline. :tongue: Besides, if they're bad they're bad, I'll have to collect them and get over them at some point.
Seems like it's going to be the early hours of the morning or so... Get some rest guys if you can, save you energy for the even worse wait of Thursday :tongue: x
Original post by YThursday
To add to the Oxbridge thing: My sister is at Cambridge, she is still mortal, clever, but nothing too special.

Also, you shouldn't worry too much about not getting in. If you get in life is not any easier. The first thing my sister was told by her tutor was that she hadn't ever worked hard in her life and that there will be points in her degree where she will cry. She was told that her tutor didn't care about anything other than results and she couldn't care less about home/emotional life.

Thats harsh. Did she have any breakdowns since she started?
Depends on what you mean by the word "genius". Holy ****, some of them can be out of this world.

They are magical institutions. Their alma mater have revolutionised this world.

I can't disagree with the first part- some of the maths studentsI've met for example are out of this world, but this isn't unlike other universities.

They're not magical institutions, sure it looks like Hogwarts but there's no potions or witchcraft or magic spells. :smile: There' no denying some of their alumni have revolutionised the world but remember they're 800/900 years old and existed longer than most institutions. It's not like everyone who ever contributed anything to humanity went to oxbridge- Mahatma Ghandi for example went to UCL. Look at harvard with the largest endowment of any university in the world with tens of billions being spent on research and world leading facilities, professors etc. I'm not saying Oxbridge won't continue to produce world leaders in their respective fields but we have reached the stage where many universities are doing just that and they include universities in the UK that aren't oxbridge.
Didn't OCR ones in January come up at around 11am :confused:

I feel like writing an extremely angry and insulting email to OCR right now....
Yes it is, especially if you have top degrees from Oxbridge.

Oh please, not the wishy-washy seven intelligences theory. *******s.

Over a range of subjects? I disagree. That discounts quite a few Oxbridgers.

That's perfection, not intelligence.

OK.

No it isn't. I can use long words and make you think I'm intelligent but that would be deceptive.

Well yes there are. Intelligence in linguistics. Intelligence in electronics. Two entirely different things...

Oh sorry. Did I attack the great Oxbridge ones? A range can be different areas of mathematics, or different subjects entirely. If you're only good at one tiny tiny tiny thing, it's not intelligence.

Perfection? Not really. No one is perfect, yet there are many who fit that description.
Reply 6527
An hour has passed since 12:00 ... Any day Edexcel :tongue:
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
I'm considering watching like a series of films tomorrow/tomorrow night, maybe Harry Potter or LOTR. I also want to catch up to the current season of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad so I might do that. Right now I'm just passing time on Youtube haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I might watch American Pie... I could do with a laugh to pass the time!
Omggggg post the boundaries already , goodness gracious!!!
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
You waiting up for grade boundaries too, AG? :smile: My sleeping pattern is screwed up already haha so I thought I might as well. The Oxbridge debate here is not providing much entertainment however :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no lol I don't want to see the grade boundaries :lol: I'll have a freaaaaaak out :tongue:
Original post by brittanna
If those boxes were spherical, then you could pack them more efficiently in 24 dimensions :yes:.

Like a Met graduate would think like that.

Original post by Arva
Harry Henry.

Edward Robert Harrison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Henry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Robert_Harrison

They did not go to Met.
Original post by DJMayes
No, I don't have the self-discipline. :tongue: Besides, if they're bad they're bad, I'll have to collect them and get over them at some point.

Fair enough. I hope that you'll do well.
If you don't get into ur firm, would a narrow miss infuriate you more (e.g S,2) or will you be glad you still did well?
They don't have to be over 30 you know.

Yeah but they were in this case, some just normal teachers and my headteachers came from Oxbridge
Where did it actually say the boundaries would be uploaded at midnight tonight? On the Edexcel Students twitter page it says 00:01 Thursday 15th.
goodnight im gone
you guys need to stop putting oxbridge candidates on a pedestal. They are people just like you and I.
1. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 10? In Oxbridge it's 1-on-1, 1-on-2, maybe 1-on-3. Don't give me this 10 people crap nonsense. That's not small.

2. Evidently not.

3. Exactly, because they're better.

6. Wishy-washy educational theory - "people have different learning styles". Just no.
Original post by help-me333
you guys need to stop putting oxbridge candidates on a pedestal. They are people just like you and I.

It's not 'you guys', it's one troll who is doing it.
Reply 6539
Original post by the A* guy
Is anyone staying up?

I don't think I'll manage the whole night as I'm meeting friends tomorrow morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest