The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlyHigh_er
I went to a firm and they staid that most firms at the top only take about one Oxbridge applicant each year bc of the reason I posted above. She said that usually they have to pay for an extra course for outstanding Oxbridge applicants. I'm not saying the course is crap. it's just not the best choice if you really want to go into a really particular field of engineering at the top. I'm working with engineering PhD students and lecturers and firm officials at the moment actually, it's the same thing I got from them too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there you go. Oxbridge graduates are too good for certain firms. Their loss.
Original post by PeterMcQuaid
Where did it actually say the boundaries would be uploaded at midnight tonight? On the Edexcel Students twitter page it says 00:01 Thursday 15th.

Edexcel have made so many lies, they can rival the Lib Dem's manifesto of 2010.
Reply 6542
So I get back out of bed again, thinking that I've missed out on some major grade boundary drama
But no
Okay so apparently we're all feeding a troll
Original post by help-me333
you guys need to stop putting oxbridge candidates on a pedestal. They are people just like you and I.

You needs the helps?
Reply 6545
Boundaries are finally out for edexcel
Original post by Arva
Did you evolve yet? You've been an adult for a while now.

Not quite yet, I could've but I decided to press B.
Original post by ElChapo
Okay so apparently we're all feeding a troll

It's damn hungry today.
Reply 6548
Original post by Meehar17
Boundaries are finally out for edexcel

Before I check, can you please clarify whether you are a troll or not?
Original post by im so academic
I think if you can do that, you're very intelligence. I can't do that! Many Oxbridgers can. I find that quality impressive. :erm:

We'll see. Put it this way, if I get straight As, you probably won't be getting a PM from me.

I don't know. Part of me thinks that if I do get into Oxbridge, I'll realise the reality that Oxbridgers are just normal people who happen to be intelligent and hard-working.

Actually - how would you define intelligence? What makes you think that a person is intelligent?

I think my definition is incorrect.

Nah, i'd just say they spend a lot of time with a dictionary and are good bull****ters. I sometimes do it and people don't pick up on it, it's amazing how little skill it takes and how many people you can fool.

Oh no, PM me anyway, i'd like to hear it :smile: Plus it's not just getting As with Cambridge, it's also your UMS. Without trying to scare you, getting AAAA with all your subjects at 85% UMS would be considerably worse than AAAC with 90% in your top 3 (as long as the subject with a C is irrelevant, like it was for me).

A lot of them are, that's the thing. I don't see why it's an issue though - they're still the smartest students in the country as a whole. I think it's probably the fact that they go to Cambridge that impresses you rather than their actual personality. E.g. those amazing Oxbridge students that you know, you wouldn't think of them as being so amazing had they not gone to Oxbridge.

It's difficult to say - I don't want to get into a discussion about this at 1am :tongue: I'm not even sure myself...
Edexcel have made so many lies, they can rival the Lib Dem's manifesto of 2010.

I know haha, the Lib Dems have been absolutely useless in Government. The Tories are unfortunately the best we've got...
Well there you go. Oxbridge graduates are too good for certain firms. Their loss.

I don't want to get into this debate really, but I do have this to say: whilst Oxbridge graduates often go on to achieve great things, this isn't something that's exclusive to those people. There are plenty of brilliant minds out there who didn't go to Oxbridge, it is not the be all and end all. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right I'm outta 'ere! Some of these Oxbridge arguments are turning my brain to jelly! Goodnight people, I'm looking forward to another day of painfully slow waiting here on TSR tomorrow (with boundaries hopefully!). Ciao
Original post by Itachi Uchiha.
What I've Learnt today on the TSR,

If one does not go to Cambridge or Oxford , They are not classed as 'Intelligent' :emo:

No, that's not true. Harvarders are intelligent.

It's just Oxbridgers are more intelligent than Metters.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Thats harsh. Did she have any breakdowns since she started?

Well, she swiched from medicine to natural sciences after first year, and has had to repeat second year due to health issues (due to stress/depression). She didn't do well in her last set of exams and was told that she'd be notified if she could continue a few days after the end of term, its been a few months and she still hasn't heard. It seems like their being real douches - she hasn't been able to do anything for the time she has been waiting as she wasn't sure whether they would let her continue.

And this is someone who got 11 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, and 5 A* at A-level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur

It'd be so cool if the TSR mods let you change your username to Ivysaur- I know thy only do it in special circumstances but IMO there's no more approriate reason!
Original post by Bulbasaur

You could have just used an everstone :yes:.
Original post by cleverslacker
bleh. everytime I post, I see another post from you from a few minutes ago. I'm a slow typer. Anyway this will probably be my last post because I need to sleep.
in one of your earlier posts you drew a distinction between people who value education and people who don't, and you expressed that valuing education is separate from being intelligent.
You said that you are not intelligent but you do value education
You said that at oxford, everyone is intelligent and most value education.
I've hung out with plenty of oxford people and I can confirm the above statement.
I can also tell you that in other universities, you'll find people who may not be quite as intelligent, but still value education.
Wouldn't you want to hang around with them? they sound a lot like you..

as for the distortion thing, oxford is above the rest, but not miles above the rest. and they probably seemed much more heavenly because you expected them to be heavenly.

I do home you end up happy wherever you are, but please understand that in some of your posts you have been quite rude. remember that some people (like me) value education and aren't even in that LEAGUE. you say "anyone can get into imperial" but I know I can't! does that mean I should be really depressed and my existence is pointless? not in my view. I'll just be hanging out with people who have similar levels of intelligence to me.

No, as they're not interested in ideas. Other universities don't facilitate education for the sake of education. I'm sick of universities advertising that they have a high employment rate. That's not the point.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong. I want to meet a non-heavenly recently graduate Oxbridger. Hasn't happened thus far.

Oh and fyi, people from other universities vary a LOT in their intelligence.
Reply 6558
No, that's not true. Harvarders are intelligent.

It's just Oxbridgers are more intelligent than Metters.

At this stage in my life, my main concern is getting into university in the first place
Hi guys - just realized the date! I've been through this before, but I was fine.

You're welcome to quote me for any questions, advice, etc :smile:

Best of luck to all!~

Latest