The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic

I reckon you'll be banned before the morning at this rate, just stop while you're behind.
x

How do you feel about the LSE ranking higher than Oxford in some respected lists?
Reply 6562
No, that's not true. Harvarders are intelligent.

It's just Oxbridgers are more intelligent than Metters.

Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all. Get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please can we stop this "Oxbridge" argument. Your intelligence is not determined by which university you go to and quite frankly it makes some people (like me) feel like complete rubbish when you patronise and try and act more superior. Thank you :smile:
Original post by AspiringGenius
I can't disagree with the first part- some of the maths studentsI've met for example are out of this world, but this isn't unlike other universities.

They're not magical institutions, sure it looks like Hogwarts but there's no potions or witchcraft or magic spells. :smile: There' no denying some of their alumni have revolutionised the world but remember they're 800/900 years old and existed longer than most institutions. It's not like everyone who ever contributed anything to humanity went to oxbridge- Mahatma Ghandi for example went to UCL. Look at harvard with the largest endowment of any university in the world with tens of billions being spent on research and world leading facilities, professors etc. I'm not saying Oxbridge won't continue to produce world leaders in their respective fields but we have reached the stage where many universities are doing just that and they include universities in the UK that aren't oxbridge.

I don't give a **** about Ghandi.

That's because other universities are not concerned about education. They're like businesses.

**** me.

Ok.
Reply 6566
Original post by Ollymurslove
Please can we stop this "Oxbridge" argument. Your intelligence is not determined by which university you go to and quite frankly it makes some people (like me) feel like complete rubbish when you patronise and try and act more superior. Thank you :smile:

Yesssssssssssssss someone who I can relate to on here
Reply 6567
Original post by Bulbasaur
Not quite yet, I could've but I decided to press B.

:awesome: Well played.

:rofl:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
No it isn't. I can use long words and make you think I'm intelligent but that would be deceptive.

Well yes there are. Intelligence in linguistics. Intelligence in electronics. Two entirely different things...

Oh sorry. Did I attack the great Oxbridge ones? A range can be different areas of mathematics, or different subjects entirely. If you're only good at one tiny tiny tiny thing, it's not intelligence.

Perfection? Not really. No one is perfect, yet there are many who fit that description.

That is intelligence. I didn't know what the word "temerity" was until a couple of hours ago. Bet most Oxbridge graduates know what it means.

OK.

OK.

Disagree. Would I even go as far as saying that attending Oxbridge is a prerequisite of perfection? Nah, that's pushing it, but my respect for someone immediately goes up if they went to Oxbridge.
Edexcel have made so many lies, they can rival the Lib Dem's manifesto of 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZ0Y4rvz6E

As someone with a Cambridge offer I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Most of the undergrads I met when I went for my interview were wildly immature. It might be different for your subject but, for many disciplines, applicants couldn't care less about the academic side of things: they want a job and the respect of receiving an offer. The latter is why I applied.

Tbh, it sounds like you do, too. Like an approval thing? If you're really interested in being this inflated academic character you've created, a lesser university would most likely suit you just fine. Consider that most Oxbridge professors didn't themselves graduate from Oxbridge.
Yes it is, especially if you have top degrees from Oxbridge.

Oh please, not the wishy-washy seven intelligences theory. *******s.

Over a range of subjects? I disagree. That discounts quite a few Oxbridgers.

That's perfection, not intelligence.

OK.

Oxbridge? Pffft. Caltech's better
Err, he's an anomaly? Just like an intelligent person coming out of Met for example?

Anomalies do exist.
There's more trolling going on on this thread than in The Three Billy Goats Gruff...
I don't give a **** about Ghandi.

That's because other universities are not concerned about education. They're like businesses.

Other universities are like businesses ? Lolwut http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1388770/Two-quit-in-Oxford-cash-for-places-scandal.html
Reply 6574
There's definitely some jokes IT guys at edexcel, aqa and OCR all betting on who can hold out the longest. THAT'S THE ONLY WAY IT COULD POSSIBLY TAKE THIS LONG

Posted from TSR Mobile
But, anyway, your intelligence is NOT determined by attending Oxbridge. Your academic ability and knowledge in a group of academia IS determined by going to Oxbridge.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Nah, i'd just say they spend a lot of time with a dictionary and are good bull****ters. I sometimes do it and people don't pick up on it, it's amazing how little skill it takes and how many people you can fool.

Love it when people do that. Shows they've got a wide range of vocabulary and an air of sophistication to go with it.

Oh no, PM me anyway, i'd like to hear it :smile: Plus it's not just getting As with Cambridge, it's also your UMS. Without trying to scare you, getting AAAA with all your subjects at 85% UMS would be considerably worse than AAAC with 90% in your top 3 (as long as the subject with a C is irrelevant, like it was for me).

A lot of them are, that's the thing. I don't see why it's an issue though - they're still the smartest students in the country as a whole. I think it's probably the fact that they go to Cambridge that impresses you rather than their actual personality. E.g. those amazing Oxbridge students that you know, you wouldn't think of them as being so amazing had they not gone to Oxbridge.

Oxbridge almost facilitates their impressiveness.

It's difficult to say - I don't want to get into a discussion about this at 1am :tongue: I'm not even sure myself...

Oh, ok.
Original post by TheWiseChick
Oh my god.. i have a 13 hour shift at work tomorrow.. FML -.-

Ive only been told I start work tomorrow night at half 5 so god knows what time their gonna keep me to! Place is open to half 12 :frown: Gonna beg to go home at 10!
No, as they're not interested in ideas. Other universities don't facilitate education for the sake of education. I'm sick of universities advertising that they have a high employment rate. That's not the point.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong. I want to meet a non-heavenly recently graduate Oxbridger. Hasn't happened thus far.

Oh and fyi, people from other universities vary a LOT in their intelligence.

Actuallyyyy, they do too at Oxford, and most likely Cambridge too. When I went for my interview in December, I was waiting outside the room with a fresher who was calming me down and he told me how there was this girl who got in, 4 A*s and all, and he has tutorials with her and she's ridiculously thick. As in he told me how she struggled in every single tutorial she's in - having no idea what was going on. Yeah, she got in, but the guy I spoke to reckons it was because she was taught how to impress at interview.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
I don't want to get into this debate really, but I do have this to say: whilst Oxbridge graduates often go on to achieve great things, this isn't something that's exclusive to those people. There are plenty of brilliant minds out there who didn't go to Oxbridge, it is not the be all and end all. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, Harvard.

But academically - Oxbridge.

Latest