The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Not my problem if you find it difficult to get good grades.

so do you apparently? isn't that what you came here moaning about in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what's everyone's back up plans if they don't get in? Backpacking here followed by commercial airliner pilot training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chriswhjay
So what's everyone's back up plans if they don't get in? Backpacking here followed by commercial airliner pilot training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

JSA :wink:

(Honestly, I have no idea. Will check out Clearing, probably)

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, the Cambridge / Oxford graduates that I have come across may be smart, but they tend to lack common sense. I spoke to a Law Firm recently about a Law application from Cambridge. He was all good with his education, but he failed on one aspect: common sense.

I don't like the bickering between the two Universities or the whole I am smarter and greater than you because I attend said Universities. It sickens me because you are indirectly belittling others.

It's from my perspective that the most "easily" gained A*s and As come from the science subjects or maths. It's not uncommon for other subjects to creep in I am aware of that, but from my understanding it's primarily science or maths. In those subjects you have to be naturally gifted. I enjoy maths, but I am not gifted and I would struggle at A-level and would fall at around the E-D level not because I am stupid. I have known Cambridge and Oxford applicants to have only maths and science based A-levels. It's "easier" to achieve those high grades in those subjects when you are naturally gifted.

I am more impressed when an Oxford or Cambridge applicant has A levels that do not include Maths or Science. I have more respect for them.
I find it surprising that so many oxbridge supporters on here spitting their self righteous nonsense about oxbridge being the only worthwhile universities in the uk. We are all in the same boat regardless of courses and grades, we all want to get in... So please do everyone a favour and take your sanctimonious attitudes elsewhere.

Peace out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok my sister is a cam undergrad and also postgrad herself and she got all 1st and 100% scholarship for the phd course. Now she's working for big 4 and still got top in exams for her qualification at company. She's like everyone else or even not as practically good as her husband who graduated from York. She even asks him to help her with her job now and then (and yeah seems like she strangely lacks common sense as well lol) But one thing I can say about her is that she's extremely hard working and passionate about her course and studying in general.

As for me my AS UMS is very low I even got b and c and I still applied to Cambridge and even though I was ultimately rejected because of that low UMS, I still impressed them at interview and got pooled. Most of people who got fished had high UMS like 93~. So one thing I'm sure about Cambridge is that they are looking for people who is academically excellent or those who are good on paper, not necessarily intelligent. I mean intelligent people got in but it doesn't mean everyone at Cambridge is like different than anyone else. Many people got stressed and had to change uni.

I mean geez, people! Just enjoy your life why do you have to compare? We are different, we are good at different things. What we should care about is ourselves and our potentials!

And stop stressing about grade boundaries! Even if there is low raw mark for an A and you remember you've done it well, it might still well turn out to be a C. It does not matter! Don't try to reassure yourself because it's false belief! What matters is the results on Thursday so please Sleep and stop obsessing with this thread! This reminds me of the pool! OMG NIGHTMARE!
(edited 10 years ago)
quick question people: is is normal to be able to see courses available through clearing / adjustment on the universities websites today??
:lolwut: They've probably applied for the "easier" subjects to get in, or conversely for Economics and PPE. :rolleyes:

Law, English and Classics. Incidentally I applied for Economics.

Idiots exist everywhere; some are just cleverer than others. If you want to be considered an "intellectual", read Dostoevsky. I read that crap back in year 11. Had a notepad an a dictionary next to me. My vocabulary is now incredibly vast. Did I get any cleverer reading that stuff? Hell no. Do people treat me like I did? Yup!

Throw in a big word here and there and people become infatuated. I used the term "onomastic incongruity" in my Cambridge interview and tbh that's probably what got me the offer. People don't like to admit it but we're all hugely amenable to cognitive prejudice. Many intellectuals are full of **** - especially in the social sciences.
Good luck everyone! pray, pray and pray and hope for the best!
Original post by AnnaKendrick
To be honest, the Cambridge / Oxford graduates that I have come across may be smart, but they tend to lack common sense. I spoke to a Law Firm recently about a Law application from Cambridge. He was all good with his education, but he failed on one aspect: common sense.

I don't like the bickering between the two Universities or the whole I am smarter and greater than you because I attend said Universities. It sickens me because you are indirectly belittling others.

It's from my perspective that the most "easily" gained A*s and As come from the science subjects or maths. It's not uncommon for other subjects to creep in I am aware of that, but from my understanding it's primarily science or maths. In those subjects you have to be naturally gifted. I enjoy maths, but I am not gifted and I would struggle at A-level and would fall at around the E-D level not because I am stupid. I have known Cambridge and Oxford applicants to have only maths and science based A-levels. It's "easier" to achieve those high grades in those subjects when you are naturally gifted.

I am more impressed when an Oxford or Cambridge applicant has A levels that do not include Maths or Science. I have more respect for them.

i.e. innate intelligence
I am impressed with people who have a way with words. Oxbridge seems to graduate a lot of people who can.

Often as a result of their degee, mind.
Thick relative to other Oxbridge students.

No, she's just full of exam technique. She's probably not good enough to get in if she wasn't coached.
Something a Cambridge admissions tutor said to me on their open day. "Cambridge and oxford aren't for everyone, you need to be a certain ilk or you will simply hate life here. Many come here and have to swap universities because it's too intense, and there is nothing wrong with that. Afterall, in the grand scheme of things a first from Brighton is better than a second from Oxford."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am impressed with people who have a way with words. Oxbridge seems to graduate a lot of people who can.

It is not only Oxbridge that graduates people who have a way with words.....But, yes, certainly the Oxford graduates that I have encountered on TSR write very neatly and concisely. They pick their words carefully.
Original post by Chriswhjay
Something a Cambridge admissions tutor said to me on their open day. "Cambridge and oxford aren't for everyone, you need to be a certain ilk or you will simply hate life here. Many come here and have to swap universities because it's too intense, and there is nothing wrong with that. Afterall, in the grand scheme of things a first from Brighton is better than a second from Oxford."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true. I know several extremely intelligent people who absolutely hate the workload at Cambridge now that they're in (both 2nd Year)...
Original post by milanloverx

I mean geez, people! Just enjoy your life why do you have to compare? We are different, we are good at different things. What we should care about is ourselves and our potentials!

Life is all about comparison. Even for potential partners in relationships, you're compared with other girls.

It is not only Oxford that graduates people who have a way with words....But, yes, certainly the few Oxford graduates that I encountered on TSR write very neatly and concisely. I wish could write that well. They have a beautiful way of structuring their arguments/point. Even if I don't agree with them. I still admire their clever use of the English language. I have also encountered students from other prestigious universities who write just as eloquently as those from Oxford.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6618
For anyone who wants the Edexcel grade boundaries [Official]

Unit M Ses 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
6663 C1 Jun-13 75 69.0 63 56 49 42 36
6664 C2 Jun-13 75 68.5 62 55 48 41 35
6665 C3 Jun-13 64 57.0 50 43 36 30 24
6666 C4 Jun-13 75 68.0 61 53 46 39 32
6689 D1 Jun-13 75 70.0 65 59 53 48 43
6690 D2 Jun-13 75 68.5 62 53 44 35 27
6667 FP1 Jun-13 75 66.5 58 49 41 33 25
6668 FP2 Jun-13 75 70.0 65 59 53 47 41