The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Grade boundaries

Scroll to see replies

Damn, I feel that Chemistry in OCR was a little higher than I expected. :/
Original post by rturnbull94
I think they are but I've just realised how **** I've actually done :/

They were definitely the most difficult exams though :frown:
The chemistry papers confused me a lot :s-smilie:
The only subject I feel confident with is AQA Geography.
AQA Env Studies could be the reason I don't get into uni. Envs3 was the hardest exam I have ever sat and yet the boundaries have increased :frown:
And as for Edexcel English Lit, looks like I have to wait even longer before I find out how screwed I am!
Original post by NedStark
You giving Cambridge a go? (If you do, for maths I take it?)

What really stood out was in Macro, there was no AD/AS diagram question. So how the grade boundaries are so high, I don't know because usually those diagram questions are free marks.

The joke is, that I got the diagram question wrong in micro though. Should have shifted both Demand and Supply but I just shifted one. :frown:

i reckon , they might be marking that essay really really nicely. because apart from Q1B , there was nothing in that first section that should have really tripped you up unless you made a silly mistake or something.

where a significant amount of marks wouldve been lost , would have been on the essay. those marks lost + the marks that people lose in section A ( and majority lose atleast 2-4 ) wouldve made for a low-ish grade boundary , but by marking that essay very nicely it's caused the boundary to go higher if you see what i mean ?
Reply 924
Original post by Ellie_May :)
The only subject I feel confident with is AQA Geography.
AQA Env Studies could be the reason I don't get into uni. Envs3 was the hardest exam I have ever sat and yet the boundaries have increased :frown:
And as for Edexcel English Lit, looks like I have to wait even longer before I find out how screwed I am!

AQA Geography boundaries aren't too bad I don't think, although an A* is now out of the question I think. What do you think?
Reply 925
does anyone know if WJEC grade boundaries are out?
Reply 926
hi guys

are the OCR grade boundaries released?

if yes, can you please post a link

many thanks
Reply 927
OCR biology grade boundaries seem low.. but the chemistry on is so bloody high ffs I didn't even get to finish the paper..**** life.
Original post by Robbie242
Yeah definitely, a bit dissapointed at the effect S1 has on my FM average but its not that bad, econ is the one that stands out but who needs a-level economics for a maths degree :ninja:. It's only 1 out of 5 at the end of the day, I'd happily go to Warwick nearly as much as Cambridge.

I noticed this also, though there were quite a few nice questions on inflation which were really easy to answer, I liked also that protectionism as I recall was only really a theme in the essay? and other then that the question that threw me off was the comment on macroeconomic objective one.

Ah well whats done is done

Same S1 is worrying me, Cambridge look heavily on that for Econ according to the Corpus Admissions tutor.

I think there was a question on protectionism early one. Like 1b, I may be wrong though. The macro economics objective one was a bit ok, definitely harder than the other questions but yeah, what's done is done.
Reply 929
Where do you find the ocr grade boundaries?
LITB1 boundaries are really low as usual. That means absolutely nothing when AQA and English are involved :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 932
Original post by NedStark
Same S1 is worrying me, Cambridge look heavily on that for Econ according to the Corpus Admissions tutor.

I think there was a question on protectionism early one. Like 1b, I may be wrong though. The macro economics objective one was a bit ok, definitely harder than the other questions but yeah, what's done is done.

True but I wouldn't place full emphasis on it. University stats is vastly different to a-level stats. My S2 luckily mitigates the poor stats performance but I can see why if you only have S1 that it could be bad.

1b was to do with ciricular flow of income I believe
Original post by Fas
i reckon , they might be marking that essay really really nicely. because apart from Q1B , there was nothing in that first section that should have really tripped you up unless you made a silly mistake or something.

where a significant amount of marks wouldve been lost , would have been on the essay. those marks lost + the marks that people lose in section A ( and majority lose atleast 2-4 ) wouldve made for a low-ish grade boundary , but by marking that essay very nicely it's caused the boundary to go higher if you see what i mean ?

But that's the thing, mark schemes for the 18 marker is so vague. They say, don't really say how it works so the marks could vary a hell of a lot. If may have been marked nicely but then you could be the odd one who got a harsh marker.

I mean doing mock 18 markers in school, one teacher would give 18/18 and she marks OCR Econ papers but the other would give 12/18 and both could justify why so they were both right if you see what I mean.
Edexcel having a holiday :smile: :evilbanana:
Original post by Sausage1
does anyone know if WJEC grade boundaries are out?

Nope, Tomorrow (:eek:) Morning 8am and onwards I'd say
Original post by Robbie242
True but I wouldn't place full emphasis on it. University stats is vastly different to a-level stats. My S2 luckily mitigates the poor stats performance but I can see why if you only have S1 that it could be bad.

1b was to do with ciricular flow of income I believe

Oh right it was circular flow of income now I think about it. :colondollar:

I'm sure I did well on S1 but you know how maths is. One accuracy error in 1c could cost you accuracy marks in every question up to 1e since it's not always follow through.
Reply 937
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Nope, Tomorrow (:eek:) Morning 8am and onwards I'd say

NOOOooOO why so late
Original post by joereed
AQA Geography boundaries aren't too bad I don't think, although an A* is now out of the question I think. What do you think?

I think they are quite good. I'm glad they decreased the boundary after the shocking questions they asked in unit 3! Seeing as I got an A overall at AS I think I might be able to get it again at A2. Fingers crossed. Although I would love the A* I doubt I will get it.
Original post by Sausage1
NOOOooOO why so late

Because they have the tables done for every single mark :redface:

And every single exam, without PDFs!

Quick Reply

Latest