The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boumavilla
You think those were good?! Have you seen this rocket he scored in midweek in the Champions League? :woo:
This is all from this 17 year old that even I hadn't heard about until this season...

[video="youtube;K5TSWk0daOo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5TSWk0daOo[/video]

I want him at Liverpool. Right now. £10m cash. Deal?
bloody Belgians
Original post by Straight up G
I want him at Liverpool. Right now. £10m cash. Deal?

Says it all about money in the Premier League right now! :tongue:
Throwing money about! :lol:

Give him a few seasons at the very least before you sign him, you don't want another Assaidi do you? He only had one really good season...
Reply 583
Any avid followers of Dutch football here? Care to give your thoughts on who's the most likely to win the Eredivisie League this year in your opinion and why? Thanks
Original post by DH1'
Any avid followers of Dutch football here? Care to give your thoughts on who's the most likely to win the Eredivisie League this year in your opinion and why? Thanks

Yeah my mums side of the family are all big Ajax fans so I watch it every week and normally attend a few as well.

Ajax will win it this year again, dodgy start though. Outstanding coaching with DeBoer/Bergkamp and a stable squad with enough quality to also maybe have a CL run as well. Great that they kept Eriksen and I think Sigþórsson will have a 20+ goal season. PSV would have had a real go at it but theyve sold almost their entire attack, lost Strootman/Van Bommel etc. Twente always overachieve though so they might actually nick 2nd. Feyenoord are nowhere, few decent youngsters though.
Siem De Jong has suffered a 'klaplong' which is some kind of lung condition apparently, not sure of the exact translation but will be out for weeks. Big blow especially for De Klassieker
Reply 586
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Yeah, both have passable ties. I'm made up for Estoril as it gives them a great chance to be able to play a few more matches in Europe. Their fans were great in the first leg so i would like to see a bit more of that and them in their European games. As for Paços it was always going to be tough no matter who they had out of the few teams they could have been given. It does mean Hulk returns to the Dragão (if he doesn't leave between now and then) as Paços will be playing at our ground so i imagine a few Portistas might pop along to that.

The apology has come pretty late from Cardozo but why apologise now and then leave? I seem to think he's going nowhere now.

We shall see by this time next week! It's back! :biggrin:

First trophy of the season for Porto. No problems in this game at all. First half we completely dominated whereas the second was a lot less exciting. Helton was hardly tested. Licá was great and worked very well with Lucho. Cracking atmosphere though, it's a shame Portuguese football isn't like that every week with a full house etc. Guimarães fans were still noisy despite being 3-0 down. I'm never normally too fussed with the Supertaça, it's nice to win it but that's normally it but this one felt a bit different to the other ones for some unclear reason. I like Paulo Fonseca and i love our current squad and how strong we look. You watch, one of the first times i feel confident about a Porto squad we'll win nothing else this season! :tongue:

Heard about Quaresma? His downward spiral of a career continues. Terminated his contract with Al Alhi and Jorge Mendes. Where next for him?

Oh yeah, had forgotten Pacos will be playing at the Dragao. I wonder what would happen if Pacos managed to get into the group stages.. would they still play at the Dragao? Anyway, Zenit will be too strong.. it'll be cool to see Hulk and Witsel back in Portugal (one would be applauded, the other would be booed :rolleyes:)

True.. nothing has happened with Cardozo yet.. it should have been sorted a long time ago.

Yeh, I was watching the Supercup. Gave up at half time though because it was too depressing to watch. Porto are as strong as ever >_<
You're right to be confident this time around... Benfica don't look anywhere near as good as what Porto showed me in those 45 minutes.

I hadn't heard about Quaresma leaving... it's a shame how far he's fallen.. but he can probably get a move back to Europe pretty easily. I think I saw some reports saying some turkish teams were interested. IMO he should just take a pay cut and go back to Portugal, maybe back to Sporting or something. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who would accept that.

Looking forward to Portugal v Holland tomorrow.. should be an interesting test without Moutinho and Nani.
Original post by DH1'

:teeth:

Ajax should be clear winners this season after they've kept their best players in Eriksen, Alderweireld and De Jong, they've also added Bojan Krkic who used to play for Barcelona. The coaching at the club is so stable and by keeping their best players they're progressing at Ajax into their best years, something that rarely happens in Dutch football as a lot of young hopefuls always go abroad for the money at a young age and always come crawling back to Dutch football once they have flopped.

PSV have turned over their squad but look a little bit raw with so many young players, but you shouldn't rule them out for a close call title run in.

Feyenoord have kept there big players over the summer so you'd have thought they'd have a go at the title this season but they've lost their opening 2 games and played poorly in the process.

Then there's AZ who have picked themselves up from the disappointment of last season to sign some good players over the summer, but I think they're happy enough just to finish in the European places again after last season.

Other teams such as Twente and Vitesse have lost far too many players to even be considered this season, they're simply not strong enough.

Original post by Zürich
Yeah my mums side of the family are all big Ajax fans so I watch it every week and normally attend a few as well.

Ajax will win it this year again, dodgy start though. Outstanding coaching with DeBoer/Bergkamp and a stable squad with enough quality to also maybe have a CL run as well. Great that they kept Eriksen and I think Sigþórsson will have a 20+ goal season. PSV would have had a real go at it but theyve sold almost their entire attack, lost Strootman/Van Bommel etc. Twente always overachieve though so they might actually nick 2nd. Feyenoord are nowhere, few decent youngsters though.

Twente won't finish second, they've lost too many big players!
They'll be lucky to finish in the European places as far as I'm concerned. :noway:

Original post by Zürich
Siem De Jong has suffered a 'klaplong' which is some kind of lung condition apparently, not sure of the exact translation but will be out for weeks. Big blow especially for De Klassieker

It means collapsed lung. :wink:
Reply 588
Original post by Zürich

Original post by boumavilla
:teeth:

Ajax should be clear winners this season after they've kept their best players in Eriksen, Alderweireld and De Jong, they've also added Bojan Krkic who used to play for Barcelona. The coaching at the club is so stable and by keeping their best players they're progressing at Ajax into their best years, something that rarely happens in Dutch football as a lot of young hopefuls always go abroad for the money at a young age and always come crawling back to Dutch football once they have flopped.

PSV have turned over their squad but look a little bit raw with so many young players, but you shouldn't rule them out for a close call title run in.

Feyenoord have kept there big players over the summer so you'd have thought they'd have a go at the title this season but they've lost their opening 2 games and played poorly in the process.

Then there's AZ who have picked themselves up from the disappointment of last season to sign some good players over the summer, but I think they're happy enough just to finish in the European places again after last season.

Other teams such as Twente and Vitesse have lost far too many players to even be considered this season, they're simply not strong enough.

Thanks alot guys. Thinking of doing a season long accumulator, and they're decent odds @ 6/5 to win the league. Good to hear that they are keeping their young players. Always liked Ajax, and they obviously used to be european heavyweights, hope they can get back to that level again.
Original post by DH1'
Thanks alot guys. Thinking of doing a season long accumulator, and they're decent odds @ 6/5 to win the league. Good to hear that they are keeping their young players. Always liked Ajax, and they obviously used to be european heavyweights, hope they can get back to that level again.

Ajax would be where the smart money is. :yep:
If you can, bet PSV to be second too.

I hope they can too, it would be good for the league because it's a knock on effect once teams can keep their best players. :yes:
If they can remain in the Champions League they can inject themselves with more finance.
Ajax 2 Fejinoord 1, Kolbeinn Sigthorsson with 2 goals...needed that :tongue:
Original post by Zürich
Ajax 2 Fejinoord 1, Kolbeinn Sigthorsson with 2 goals...needed that :tongue:

I didn't get to watch the whole match so I just watched it on 90 minutes without knowing the score. :mmm:
It wasn't an open game by the sounds of it, but Ajax still deserved the win, they created more chances. I also thought the penalty decision was harsh, it was barely a touch from Vormer to give it away. :noway:

So Feyenoord are bottom of the table now? :lol: Their season has not started well, but I think they'll pull it together ahead of their Europa League tie. :yep:

Did you see how NEC did? :eek3: Destroyed again, this time by PEC! Thank goodness Alex Pastoor has been sacked!
Original post by aa22
x

I’m pretty sure you won’t be agreeing with me with saying it was a great opening to the 2013/14 season.

Very surprised with Benfica, I didn’t think they would drop all three points in Madeira. I know it can be a difficult place to visit but I was going for a draw seeing your opening day record isn’t great. I really didn’t think all three points would be dropped so early on, especially because it wasn’t until round 29 for you to lose last season. You can argue Sami was marginally offside but it was one of them that was difficult for the officials to see. But even with the wrong referee decisions aside, I feel Benfica were quite poor in terms of creating decent chances. They reminded me a bit of Porto in a few games last season, lots of possession but not enough chances created from it. Some credit should be given to Maritimo too.

As for Porto, we started just like that. Looked good but nothing from it and then Setúbal get a goal out of it. Kieszek getting sent off was pure stupidity which made it difficult for Setúbal to have to defend with 10 men, a different keeper and having just lost the lead. Quintero, Quintero, Quintero... Not even a minute into his debut and he scores a goal like that! I’m very excited to see him grow even more in a Porto kit.

Quintero wasn’t the only Colombian to get off to a blinder this weekend. Fredy Montero could prove to be a very important signing for Sporting this season. With RvW gone they really needed to find someone who could score goals seeing as they got very few from elsewhere on the pitch last season. So a hat-trick on his debut is just the start he and Sporting really needed. Even if he did mess up the finish, his third goal was great.

I could see that Paços loss to Braga happening on Friday night. I think we both knew that Paços would probably struggle more this season with the changes they have gone through in the summer and I think appointing a manager like Costinha wasn’t a smart move by the club. I just hope tomorrow they play with an extra something in them with it being the Champions League otherwise it may be a completely embarrassing defeat for the club.

I was hoping Belenenses return to the Liga would have gone better too. Still, a whole lot of games to go for them though.

Like I said though, I certainly enjoyed the opening round of games. A much better start by us compared to our 0-0 against Gil Vicente last season. Still feeling positive, for now!
Reply 593
Original post by ra-ra-ra
I’m pretty sure you won’t be agreeing with me with saying it was a great opening to the 2013/14 season.

Very surprised with Benfica, I didn’t think they would drop all three points in Madeira. I know it can be a difficult place to visit but I was going for a draw seeing your opening day record isn’t great. I really didn’t think all three points would be dropped so early on, especially because it wasn’t until round 29 for you to lose last season. You can argue Sami was marginally offside but it was one of them that was difficult for the officials to see. But even with the wrong referee decisions aside, I feel Benfica were quite poor in terms of creating decent chances. They reminded me a bit of Porto in a few games last season, lots of possession but not enough chances created from it. Some credit should be given to Maritimo too.

As for Porto, we started just like that. Looked good but nothing from it and then Setúbal get a goal out of it. Kieszek getting sent off was pure stupidity which made it difficult for Setúbal to have to defend with 10 men, a different keeper and having just lost the lead. Quintero, Quintero, Quintero... Not even a minute into his debut and he scores a goal like that! I’m very excited to see him grow even more in a Porto kit.

Quintero wasn’t the only Colombian to get off to a blinder this weekend. Fredy Montero could prove to be a very important signing for Sporting this season. With RvW gone they really needed to find someone who could score goals seeing as they got very few from elsewhere on the pitch last season. So a hat-trick on his debut is just the start he and Sporting really needed. Even if he did mess up the finish, his third goal was great.

I could see that Paços loss to Braga happening on Friday night. I think we both knew that Paços would probably struggle more this season with the changes they have gone through in the summer and I think appointing a manager like Costinha wasn’t a smart move by the club. I just hope tomorrow they play with an extra something in them with it being the Champions League otherwise it may be a completely embarrassing defeat for the club.

I was hoping Belenenses return to the Liga would have gone better too. Still, a whole lot of games to go for them though.

Like I said though, I certainly enjoyed the opening round of games. A much better start by us compared to our 0-0 against Gil Vicente last season. Still feeling positive, for now!

Lol, if the results had gone the other way round, I'd have said the same thing!

To be honest I was not too surprised with how we played against Maritimo. Before the match, I was already not feeling too confident about this match, especially since how bad we've been in the pre-season.

I missed the first 20 minutes of the match, but as soon as I turned it on, I could tell we were playing badly and we were going to have a tough time.

There is just no creativity at all, and the players all look like they don't care. Everyone is waiting for someone to do something. We're also really missing Cardozo because we have no aerial threat whatsoever and because of that, we rarely even cross the ball anymore... Lima isn't good enough to be playing on his own all the time, unless he has someone else making some runs (like how Rodrigo did in our goal).

We've signed Funes Mori, I hope he is better than what I've heard about him... I don't think he's the answer to our problems.

Salvio is also another big miss... he usually created things out of nowhere and he always helped out in defence.

Cortez isn't good enough, and Maxi has been quite poor as well... I'd rather like to see Silvio instead of Maxi, but that's not gonna happen because Maxi can't be dropped.

I don't think we quite deserved to lose, and I'm not gonna complain about any referee decisions (like how JJ did) because we really didn't do enough to deserve a win either. Maritimo played well, and their passing and movement was a million times better than ours. Very disappointed so far, and it looks like my presentiment about a bad season looks like will be right, unless something drastically changes. And we haven't even made a big sale yet... if we were to lose someone important now..... :/

Anyway.

Porto. I saw that Quintero goal.. it seems like James has already been replaced. Quintero looks like an awesome player. Setubal made things easier for Porto, but I think Porto are already set up really well for a great season, so they'd have probably ended up winning the match anyway.

I haven't watched the highlights for Sporting's match yet, but yeh... Montero looks like the answer to Sporting's prayers. A hat-trick on his official debut. Jardim is a competent manager and a 5-1 win (even if it is against Arouca) shows Sporting will be back in the title race this season. Unfortunately I can't see Benfica putting up a good challenge... I'm actually not looking forward to our match against Sporting on the 30th (or 31?) at all now.

Yeh, Pacos will have a hard time in the CL. I wonder how they'll cope with midweek matches right at the start of the season. If they put out a strong team, they'll be tired for the more important league matches, and if they don't they will be embarrassed by Zenit... even their strongest team would have a very hard time.

As for Belenenses.. I think staying up should be their priority this season. Hopefully Miguel Rosa can help them out with that..
(edited 10 years ago)
Good god did anyone catch Ochoa's performance against PSG... :adore:

[video="youtube;6S2TCPEuz_M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2TCPEuz_M[/video]
Celtic are getting spanked 2-0 by Shakhter Karagandy. This is what happens when you remove the competition from the domestic league, the team doesn't improve. I really hope they don't qualify
Reply 596
Original post by sevchenko
Celtic are getting spanked 2-0 by Shakhter Karagandy. This is what happens when you remove the competition from the domestic league, the team doesn't improve. I really hope they don't qualify

We will be sat with you guys in the Europa league then :smile:
But yeah We did get to the last 16 last year and it is only 1 game (and on a plastic pitch at that)
Also "spanked" = exaggeration.
I don't think it's a bad thing if Celtic fall into the Europa League. There's still money to be won, and it's a competition they can have a realistic chance of getting further in too.

PSV v AC Milan tonight. :sogood:
Original post by scotttb
We will be sat with you guys in the Europa league then :smile:
But yeah We did get to the last 16 last year and it is only 1 game (and on a plastic pitch at that)
Also "spanked" = exaggeration.

Please, ever since UEFA changed the rules on Qualifying Celtic only play easy teams to make the group stages, they don't deserve to be in the CL whilst better teams like AC Milan or Lyon could go out. They wouldn't even qualify for the group stages if they had to play 8 out of 10 teams in the league route.

It was a spanking, a team like Celtic really should be beating a third rate Kazakhstani side.

I wonder how long Celtic fans will keep boosting the fact that they got into the last 16 last season. It was a one off mate get over it.
Original post by Malevolent
Good god did anyone catch Ochoa's performance against PSG... :adore:
(...)

Without a doubt, great saves! the match ended 1-1, right? Ajaccio get a point in Paris and the team has to give thanks to the goal keeper for that.

Quick Reply

Latest