The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Those are good GCSEs, but I think Imperial is one of the universities which use GCSEs more when making decisions. Provided you have the predicted A level grades, it is obviously worth applying, but if lots of people apply with better GCSEs than you, then you may lose out. Imperial is the sort of university where they will get hundreds of applicants with AAA predictions, and excellent personal statements, so they have to diferentiate between applicants somehow.

You will just need to work hard at AS, so you get good A2 predictions and write a really good personal statement to maximise your chances of getting an offer.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Well, I applied for electronic engineering at imperial and got an interview and offer despite having gcse grades of simply 5 A's and 5 B's.

I don't know how much of an influence my personal statement and As grades were though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious544d
Well, I applied for electronic engineering at imperial and got an interview and offer despite having gcse grades of simply 5 A's and 5 B's.

I don't know how much of an influence my personal statement and As grades were though.

What were your predicted grades and did you do DOE, sports or community service for school?
I didn't do any 'extra stuff' and was predicted AAA from AS results of ABBB.

I was also surprised that I got an interview as imperial was my wildcard choice. I was even more surprised when they actually gave me an offer after what i thought was a terrible interview.

Anyways, good luck when applying. Imperial looks like an amazing university and hopefully I'll get the place tomorrow :tongue:
Reply 5
Hii so I got my GCSE results yesterday and got 3A*'s 6A's and 2B's are these results good enough to get an offer from imperial provided I got the a levels needed? Oh and I want to study either maths or engineering and i got an A* in maths, an A in further maths, and A's in physics and chemistry which is what I am taking for A level, and the B's are in french and english language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I got two A*s and six A's, is this good enough for engineering or physics provided I get all a's at as and a good personal statement etc.? Thanks
Depends on where but for the most part no

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by monica555
Hii so I got my GCSE results yesterday and got 3A*'s 6A's and 2B's are these results good enough to get an offer from imperial provided I got the a levels needed? Oh and I want to study either maths or engineering and i got an A* in maths, an A in further maths, and A's in physics and chemistry which is what I am taking for A level, and the B's are in french and english language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Claudia_gx
I got two A*s and six A's, is this good enough for engineering or physics provided I get all a's at as and a good personal statement etc.? Thanks

I got 4 A* 2 A's and 4 B's at GCSE and I got in this year for engineering if that helps you.
Reply 9
7 a*s (biology, chemistry, physics, maths, r.s, economics, english language)
3 as (geography, english literature, welsh)

Do I have a good chance of Medicine in Imperial?
Reply 11
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ZOOLOGY
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Zoology preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!
Reply 12
Yes you have good GCSEs.
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ZOOLOGY
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Zoology preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!

Your results are fine as they are.
Reply 14
Original post by sazzabazza
Depends on where but for the most part no

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :frown: thanks

Don't let that comment deter you, people have gotten in with worse GCSE's than yours.
You have straight A's or above, they are good results and it is worth applying.

Sorry, I was answering the title question, I meant to say they don't take GCSEs that seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by sazzabazza
Sorry, I was answering the title question, I meant to say they don't take GCSEs that seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, that's good to know.
Reply 18
A*-maths
A*(extra language, im bilingual)
A*-drama
A-physics
A-chemistry
A-biology
A-business studies
A-further maths
A-english lit
B-english language
B-french
Is this good enough, considering I achieve the Alevels needed? Btw I am taking maths(mechanics), further maths, chemistry and physics for A level, probs engineering(not sure).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by theamaze
What were your predicted grades and did you do DOE, sports or community service for school?

What did your personal statement include if you don't mind me asking?

Latest

Trending

Trending