The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Grade boundaries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulbasaur
Yeah I did, what unit did you do? I did cold environments.

Don't you think the boundaries are a bit high this time? :s-smilie:

Oh that's a tough unit! I did cultural diversity- a really weird question I felt :/

They're the highest yet! 57/70 for an A seems really, really high. I'm sure I've dropped more than 13 marks, and I need an A for this exam, so yeah, I'm really worried now. I was even going for the A*, but 62/70? No way is that possible now :frown:
Original post by yarshad
Any Edexcel A2 Biologists here?

Yup! What do you think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by applicant20
But this doesn't have june 2013?

sorry to scrape but I had this problem too! my computer wouldn't show me the june 2013 section on any of the exam board sites. try looking on another device? I tried a different computer and it seemed to show up on there?
Reply 1083
Original post by Char321
Failed english then

What eng did you do, lit and lang?
Original post by abzy1234
Oh that's a tough unit! I did cultural diversity- a really weird question I felt :/

They're the highest yet! 57/70 for an A seems really, really high. I'm sure I've dropped more than 13 marks, and I need an A for this exam, so yeah, I'm really worried now. I was even going for the A*, but 62/70? No way is that possible now :frown:

The unit is quite interesting, the question was quite bizarre though. I guess we've both experienced that this time around :tongue:

Thing is though, grade boundaries are always determined by a bell-curve. Meaning that the same number of people will get As and A*s. And given that this is just one single 70 mark question, I think it's much harder to judge how we've all performed. I'm glad that the boundaries are higher there rather than unit 3 though, which would have a worse impact I think. Don't worry about it - chances are you haven't lost much from them being high - in fact, it might just be a reflection of people like you performing particularly well this time around :smile: Maybe they were generous as a result of the confusing questions? I was going for an A* too and I think I may have got it in unit 3 but like you, I'm not that confident about this unit. I'm actually resitting it (got a low B last time, that was me completely missing the point of the question), which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I guess there's not long left, we'll find out soon enough :smile:
Reply 1085
Original post by needtosucceed=)
think its cost me my firm choice :frown: you?

Very distressing.
History unit 3 (option a) is much higher this year :frown:
Reply 1087
Could someone help me out, i'm looking at the grade boundaries for Maths on Edexcel, and there are two sets of results for each paper, Paper 01 and paper 01R, what is the difference between the two? cheers
The unit is quite interesting, the question was quite bizarre though. I guess we've both experienced that this time around :tongue:

Thing is though, grade boundaries are always determined by a bell-curve. Meaning that the same number of people will get As and A*s. And given that this is just one single 70 mark question, I think it's much harder to judge how we've all performed. I'm glad that the boundaries are higher there rather than unit 3 though, which would have a worse impact I think. Don't worry about it - chances are you haven't lost much from them being high - in fact, it might just be a reflection of people like you performing particularly well this time around :smile: Maybe they were generous as a result of the confusing questions? I was going for an A* too and I think I may have got it in unit 3 but like you, I'm not that confident about this unit. I'm actually resitting it (got a low B last time, that was me completely missing the point of the question), which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I guess there's not long left, we'll find out soon enough :smile:

I found this unit rather bizarre to be frank! Especially because I chose the human topic, I found it really weird to find any real theories to relate to, as well as very weird fieldwork (asking random people about their views on "culture", gosh that was so painful!). And then in the exam we have to produce a "report", I mean this required memorisation of quotes and references, which really fits more in the style of a coursework imo. Found the timing really hard as well :/

Cheers for that reassurance, really gives me some hope! I somehow managed to get 108 for unit 3 in January, so that motivated me to seek that A*... But unit 4... It's just weird!

I'm sure you'll do well in both units dude; we will indeed find out tomorrow. Just dreading that moment we find out! :smile:
Original post by lisa96
Does anyone else do OCR economics? F581 boundaries are extremely low, not too sure whether thats good or not :/

afternoon ! :smile:

aye 44/60 , looks good but who knows... im not suprised to be honest , it was a hard paper and the question about income elasticities and the second to last question were really difficult haha - i loved the essay though , although loads of people found that hard.

what do you think to the F582 boundaries ? 49/60 is the highest ive ever seen for an A , so annoyed by that !
Edexcel economics has risen for A levels by a mark I guess. From 70 to 71 for an A in ECON4 but I guess that's not a lot :L . Really hoping for an A in economics but tbh I think this results day il be getting ABB/BBB/BBC :/
Original post by Jackoo08
Could someone help me out, i'm looking at the grade boundaries for Maths on Edexcel, and there are two sets of results for each paper, Paper 01 and paper 01R, what is the difference between the two? cheers

Paper 01R is the international paper , ignore that :smile:

That link doesn't seem to be working for some reason, do you have another one? Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abzy1234
I found this unit rather bizarre to be frank! Especially because I chose the human topic, I found it really weird to find any real theories to relate to, as well as very weird fieldwork (asking random people about their views on "culture", gosh that was so painful!). And then in the exam we have to produce a "report", I mean this required memorisation of quotes and references, which really fits more in the style of a coursework imo. Found the timing really hard as well :/

Cheers for that reassurance, really gives me some hope! I somehow managed to get 108 for unit 3 in January, so that motivated me to seek that A*... But unit 4... It's just weird!

I'm sure you'll do well in both units dude; we will indeed find out tomorrow. Just dreading that moment we find out! :smile:

Yeah I've said many times to my teacher that this unit is a load of bull**** - if the student thinks that I wonder what the teacher does. It's even worse than unit 2 when we all made up fieldwork. It's basically a memorisation and regurgitation exercise. Completely pointless. Timing is an issue - that's why I always find I have to strip my argument to the bare bones sometimes, which of course causes me to drop research marks -_- It's such a pointless exam.

Wow well done - hopefully you'll manage the A* this time too.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Mathushaaa
That link doesn't seem to be working for some reason, do you have another one? Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here you go :smile:.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/GCE%20Composite%201306%20v2.pdf
Yeah I've said many times to my teacher that this unit is a load of bull**** - if the student thinks that I wonder what the teacher does. It's even worse than unit 2 when we all made up fieldwork. It's basically a memorisation and regurgitation exercise. Completely pointless. Timing is an issue - that's why I always find I have to strip my argument to the bare bones sometimes, which of course causes me to drop research marks -_- It's such a pointless exam.

Wow well done - hopefully you'll manage the A* this time too.

Good luck :smile:

So true, such a pointless and ridiculous unit. You can almost imagine Edexcel going up to Ofqual and begging for this unit to be a coursework one, but finding a firm no due to political correctness! Whatever Edexcel are trying to achieve through this exam is good- preparation for university style projects- but the exam utterly, utterly destroys that.

Thank you! I just don't think I can only drop 8 marks. I had to rush over so many arguments like you said, and make such a weird conclusion as there was hardly any time left. Gosh, it's so sad that we can moan and complain about exams all day, which ruins the whole intended purpose of A-Levels. We need to reform our style of examination, with a mixture of assessment, but never gonna happen tbh.

Good luck to ya as well, I'm sure you'll do well! :biggrin:
Original post by Jackoo08

Paper 01 was the original paper but a box of papers went missing in the Netherlands and therefore they had to do a replacement paper Paper01R, but there were a few centres that did not get the replacement paper and they sat the original Paper 01- guess that is why they have given boundaries for both papers. Hope this helps not sure how you tell which paper you sat, your school/college should know (most will have sat 01R)
For c2 on edexcel there are two paper one says: c2 (01) the other c2(01R). I did edexcel c2 in the uk? Which ones my paper. Hoping for 01, since the A boundary is lower! Thanks
can someone post edexcel grade boundaries please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1099
Does anybody know where the AEA grade boundaries are?

Quick Reply

Latest