The Student Room Group

Is it too late to tell your insurance that you want them as first/firm choice?

I'm not even sure if I got into my firm or insurance, or whether I missed out on both. But yeah, is there any point in phoning my insurance choice now, or should I just wait until tomorrow?

I'm thinking that if I let them know before I get my results, that I want to go to them instead, they'll look upon me more favourably in case I miss out on the grades, so they may be more lenient in letting me in? They did make a point in their open day of saying that those who put them as first choice would be treated more leniently if they only just miss out by a grade.
Original post by fuzzybear
I'm not even sure if I got into my firm or insurance, or whether I missed out on both. But yeah, is there any point in phoning my insurance choice now, or should I just wait until tomorrow?

I'm thinking that if I let them know before I get my results, that I want to go to them instead, they'll look upon me more favourably in case I miss out on the grades, so they may be more lenient in letting me in? They did make a point in their open day of saying that those who put them as first choice would be treated more leniently if they only just miss out by a grade.

Hi,

At this stage you're locked into your 'firm' and 'insurance' choices. I wouldn't worry about your insurance looking favourably or unfavourably upon you - universities would not put firm, insurance and clearing applicants into a hierarchy. You'll be judged on your own merits. And if an insurance has accepted you conditionally, that means that they will have a space for you on the course.

If you think you may miss your grades for both courses, it may be worth calling your firm and insurance choices today to talk through options. They can take details for Clearing today which would save you time tomorrow.

Hopefully that helps,

Emma
University for the Creative Arts
If you want to go to your insurance place, not your firm, then you need to get your firm to release you from your offer. They may not wish to do that at this stage, and ask you to wait until tomorrow, as it may be difficult for them to discuss this with you, already knowing your grades. Usually this only takes a few hours, but it can take up to a few days if they are very busy. There is no harm in asking your insurance if they still have space to accept you, but they cannot make you a formal offer until you have a clearing number, which you will not get until your firm releases you.

Realistically, this is a risky strategy, as if your firm take a long time to release you, your insurance could fill all their spaces before they can make you an offer. Are you 100% sure you would not want to go to your firm if you got in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending