The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel sorry for you GCSE guys having to wait another week
Original post by elixirs
Ah, now that makes a lot more sense:tongue:

Aw hopefully so fingers crossed!!:console: and how lucky of you! After reading the spec over and picking up on topics, I pretty much went into that exam naked of stats knowledge (we had literally 2 weeks in class to prepare:mad:)

:ahee:

We didn't finish the content... She gave me a scheme of work for if I wanted to learn the rest :tongue:
Original post by Glitch96
To everyone who did GCSE additional math... how did you go about doing it? For me all the students with a good record got sent a letter.... when GCSE was almost over, and we had a few days to decide to do it :angry:

We did the easiest stuff in Year 10 and the beginning of Year 11. It felt just a little bit harder than GCSE at the time, nothing that I couldn't manage. We did our first set of GCSE Maths mocks in December which they used to decide who should do Add. Maths. Those who they thought were capable (only the people in the top set) were given a letter in February and asked whether they wanted to enrol officially. I did so, assuming it wouldn't be too bad... About a week later we had our first Add. Maths lesson and it was incredibly tough work! I didn't understand it at all. And they had to hold many of the sessions after school as we didn't have free periods, but I couldn't go to them as I was either at Systems or Product Design which had really tight deadlines, so I missed out on about half of it. :mad: I didn't really get much revision done because I was focusing on my other subjects, so I'm not expecting a grade, certainly after seeing the boundaries today! Our school went about it awfully - we could easily have managed to do GCSE Maths in Year 10, then spend all of Year 11 working on the FSMQ or, if people didn't get the grade they wanted in Year 10, they could work on resitting it. Yet no, that's not what they decided to do because my school seems to hate logic.
Original post by Ben6597
Dear TSR GCSE Students, imagine you just opened your results and you did rather well, you're proud of yourself and you're happy. Now your friend asks you what you got and you tell them, you then return the question and it turns out they did better than you. Now what proportion of happy to jealous are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probably be about 10% happy and 90% jealous. I know it sounds horrible. Everyone thinks I'm so nice, but secretly, I'm really quite ruthless and competitive. :mad::angry:
Reply 3164
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:ahee:

We didn't finish the content... She gave me a scheme of work for if I wanted to learn the rest :tongue:

Ah, statistics is unloved by teachers:colone:
Poor stats:sigh:
Original post by elixirs
Ah, statistics is unloved by teachers:colone:
Poor stats:sigh:

It's nicer at higher levels:yep:

GCSE was BORING
Reply 3166

GCSE was BORING

I second that:colone::colone:
I assume you're doing it A level then?
Original post by elixirs
I second that:colone::colone:
I assume you're doing it A level then?

Doing what now?:tongue:
Reply 3168
Doing what now?:tongue:

Statistics silly:biggrin:
Reply 3169

GCSE was BORING

I hope it's better, statistics made me fall asleep
Original post by elixirs
Statistics silly:biggrin:

Original post by Tibbz2
I hope it's better, statistics made me fall asleep

Oh right I've done S1 (hopefully 100 UMS)

S2/3 I've learnt, but not sat
To everyone who did GCSE additional math... how did you go about doing it? For me all the students with a good record got sent a letter.... when GCSE was almost over, and we had a few days to decide to do it :angry:

If we were in the parallel top sets we had to do it unless we were resitting any modules, in which case we got a choice. I didn't get a choice, and I have almost certainly got a U - I didn't want to sit the exam as I didn't understand any of the content, but neither miss nor my parents would let me drop it. I can see why it might be useful if you're doing maths A-level, but seeing as I'm not, and never intended to, it was a complete and utter waste of time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tsjmcgrath
We did the easiest stuff in Year 10 and the beginning of Year 11. It felt just a little bit harder than GCSE at the time, nothing that I couldn't manage. We did our first set of GCSE Maths mocks in December which they used to decide who should do Add. Maths. Those who they thought were capable (only the people in the top set) were given a letter in February and asked whether they wanted to enrol officially. I did so, assuming it wouldn't be too bad... About a week later we had our first Add. Maths lesson and it was incredibly tough work! I didn't understand it at all. And they had to hold many of the sessions after school as we didn't have free periods, but I couldn't go to them as I was either at Systems or Product Design which had really tight deadlines, so I missed out on about half of it. :mad: I didn't really get much revision done because I was focusing on my other subjects, so I'm not expecting a grade, certainly after seeing the boundaries today! Our school went about it awfully - we could easily have managed to do GCSE Maths in Year 10, then spend all of Year 11 working on the FSMQ or, if people didn't get the grade they wanted in Year 10, they could work on resitting it. Yet no, that's not what they decided to do because my school seems to hate logic.

I was in set 4 at one point, the teacher hated the class so much she said she was going to quit :redface: in set 3 the students told the teacher to go back to her old job, and in set 2 the teacher was showing everyone photos of her grandchild. I never made it to the top :colondollar: The math department head also said I wasn't as good as I thought I was when I insisted moving up classes, although I did end up getting (after retakes :/) an A* and 3 ums off an A*, the latter because my teacher wasted time on pointless topics, so needless to say I didn't have a chance to even consider additional math which I heard of from a friend, as it is English suffered greatly, I may not even get a B in it :bawling:. Onward to A levels and not leaving your education in the hands of others.

Original post by tess_rach
If we were in the parallel top sets we had to do it unless we were resitting any modules, in which case we got a choice. I didn't get a choice, and I have almost certainly got a U - I didn't want to sit the exam as I didn't understand any of the content, but neither miss nor my parents would let me drop it. I can see why it might be useful if you're doing maths A-level, but seeing as I'm not, and never intended to, it was a complete and utter waste of time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with someone being forced to do the additional GCSE, especially when you're clueless on the subject but at least you'll get good core math results! So what are you taking for A levels?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3173
Oh right I've done S1 (hopefully 100 UMS)

S2/3 I've learnt, but not sat

Ooh I see!
Well good luck with the results and the other two:smile:
Original post by elixirs
Ooh I see!
Well good luck with the results and the other two:smile:

Get maths tomorrow, want the A* badly
Reply 3175

Get maths tomorrow, want the A* badly

Ooh you do, good luck (make sure you let us know how you did)! I'm sure you'll be fine:biggrin:

Also, it seems like you've had a lot on your plate in terms of exams! I'm curious and I hope you don't mind me asking but are you a GCSE student taking A level early or an A level student taking GCSEs?:innocent:

I disagree with someone being forced to do the additional GCSE, especially when you're clueless on the subject but at least you'll get good core math results! So what are you taking for A levels?

Spanish, French, English language, history and dance - nothing remotely mathsy at all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone take my GCSE exams?

WJEC English Literature Unit 2
OCR Gateway B456, C456 and P456
WJEC Welsh Second Language Unit 2
AQA RS Units 3+4
Edexcel Statistics
WJEC Geography Unit 2
WJEC French Listening and Reading
WJEC Business Studies Linear

I did geography and literature! About the lit coursework: what even was it that we had to do? ...I did so much English coursework that I don't remember which was for language and which was for literature! :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elixirs
Ooh you do, good luck (make sure you let us know how you did)! I'm sure you'll be fine:biggrin:

Also, it seems like you've had a lot on your plate in terms of exams! I'm curious and I hope you don't mind me asking but are you a GCSE student taking A level early or an A level student taking GCSEs?:innocent:

I'll be sure to post them :smile:

:sadnod:

Why would an A Level student take 11 GCSEs (and already have sat 5) in a year?:tongue:

I'm in Year 11, sat Maths A2 and History AS early :smile:
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I did geography and literature! About the lit coursework: what even was it that we had to do? ...I did so much English coursework that I don't remember which was for language and which was for literature! :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coursework, 40 marks. On a theme, compare a Shakespeare with poems for me...

Geography! How did you find it? Spec A/B? My three topics were... Coasts, Urban and Retail Change and Tourism.

Latest