The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Airfairy
And are you applying for PGCE history then? I guess people pick things up. Did you do GCSE/A-Level history?

That PS help link you posted is ace btw, thank you!
I am applying for PGCE Secondary History. I did GCSE History but not a-level. I think what I am saying is that I am not sure "I have studied things on the curriculum myself" is that important. I mean, I did my GCSEs in 1999! I think the key thing is having a passion for history and getting the actual experience of teaching in that environment. I think the best saying is "You don't have to have been a horse to be a great jockey"....
Original post by MissRebReb
Hi,

I'm applying for 2014 intake as I was unsuccessful, and had a thought. *Uh ohh*

I'm not sure about this, and I haven't (as of yet) found any information to support it butttttt... Is it possible to apply for Teach First and GTTR???? For example, Teach First have all SCITT options and GTTR have all PGCE?

This might be a question already answered, but I'm struggling to find a definitive yes or no on the subject. :confused:

Apply for teach first in the summer before pgce applications open. Pgce/scitt applications are done through the ucas website and teh same application portal, teach first is not a scitt. Its a completely different programme, where you are essentially given a 6 week crashcours in teaching and then placed in the countries most challenging schools to teach right away. You can't apply for pgce/Scott/schools direct if you hold an offer from teach first and vica versa. So apply for teach first when applications open (which should be now) and you'll know if you're on before the applications for the other teacher training routes open.
I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know how the Master's works? Do you get it from the same university you completed your PGCE from? Can you do it straight after completing your PGCE or must you teach and do it part-time? Also what are the costs, I understand it is offered at a reduced cost? Do you attend lecturers or is it all theory? What is the qualification you get at the end of it?
Sorry for all the questions guys! :smile: But I think it's important to always think ahead!
There's a school who seems like they want to have me in for classroom experience come September. The teacher asked if I have a CRB, which I don't (well I have one that was done in 2007 but is that even recent enough?) and he said I should get one. To my knowledge you can't just go get a CRB since it has to be applied for through an organization that would need them. I always assumed you just had to do it through the school you were going to be at. Help?
Original post by StandardUsername
There's a school who seems like they want to have me in for classroom experience come September. The teacher asked if I have a CRB, which I don't (well I have one that was done in 2007 but is that even recent enough?) and he said I should get one. To my knowledge you can't just go get a CRB since it has to be applied for through an organization that would need them. I always assumed you just had to do it through the school you were going to be at. Help?

CRB checks expire after three years, you will have to do a new one through the school.
Original post by Feartheunknown
I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know how the Master's works? Do you get it from the same university you completed your PGCE from? Can you do it straight after completing your PGCE or must you teach and do it part-time? Also what are the costs, I understand it is offered at a reduced cost? Do you attend lecturers or is it all theory? What is the qualification you get at the end of it?
Sorry for all the questions guys! :smile: But I think it's important to always think ahead!

It depends on each PGCE. If you can get another uni to accept your existing masters credits then you'll be able to do it at another uni, its just guarenteed that your uni will accept them. You'd be better off doing your NQT year straight after your PGCE year, to ensure you're fully qualified. You can do your masters during your NQT year part-time though. I'm not sure about reduced cost, although I assume it will be cheaper as you'll already have some of the credits for the masters. The qualification will vary according to which PGCE you do and what masters credits you get from it. I would assume it will be like a normal masters, where you attend some lectures but a lot of it will be independant and research work.
I'm planning on applying for a Secondary History PGCE in October (anyone know of a specific date?). Have so far done 10 days in a low-rated Ofsted Secondary, 24 days in a Primary, 8 full weeks in a 'good with excellent qualities' Secondary and another 7 weeks in a 'excellent' Secondary. With both of the long term school experiences, I have done extracurricular trips (including a week long trip with 70 year 8 students to Amsterdam), taught and planned lessons, made my own resources (which I have used to create a portfolio for the PGCE interview), ran extra support lessons for C/D borderline students etc. Some of my resources, including two GCSE revision guides, are now being used in other schools in the area.
One of the schools has asked me to return for the next summer term in order to cover 3 year 8 classes for the full 12 weeks, with me taking over the planning of their lessons, their marking and reports.
Im debating on how to make the most of this in my application? Obviously I am attempting to make the most of it in my personal statement and I have the portfolio, but someone has suggested that you can contact the place you are applying to provide extra info (eg. My extra letters of reference from these placements), does anyone know if this is true?
Quite a few people I know have been unsuccessful in their applications in the last few years, so I am hoping to do everything possible to strengthen my application, does anyone have any suggestions to anything I may be missing?
Original post by Charbear92
I'm planning on applying for a Secondary History PGCE in October (anyone know of a specific date?). Have so far done 10 days in a low-rated Ofsted Secondary, 24 days in a Primary, 8 full weeks in a 'good with excellent qualities' Secondary and another 7 weeks in a 'excellent' Secondary. With both of the long term school experiences, I have done extracurricular trips (including a week long trip with 70 year 8 students to Amsterdam), taught and planned lessons, made my own resources (which I have used to create a portfolio for the PGCE interview), ran extra support lessons for C/D borderline students etc. Some of my resources, including two GCSE revision guides, are now being used in other schools in the area.
One of the schools has asked me to return for the next summer term in order to cover 3 year 8 classes for the full 12 weeks, with me taking over the planning of their lessons, their marking and reports.
Im debating on how to make the most of this in my application? Obviously I am attempting to make the most of it in my personal statement and I have the portfolio, but someone has suggested that you can contact the place you are applying to provide extra info (eg. My extra letters of reference from these placements), does anyone know if this is true?
Quite a few people I know have been unsuccessful in their applications in the last few years, so I am hoping to do everything possible to strengthen my application, does anyone have any suggestions to anything I may be missing?

Your experience is excellent, you do need to make sure it translates well into your personal statement though. Make it all about what you've learnt, how it reinforces your desire to teach etc.
Get letters of recommendation from your placements and give them to your interviewer. It goes down very well.
Reply 288
Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a PGCE in Secondary English and have narraowed down a few choices.

I don't have any in-school experience yet, but do run 2 craft club sessions weekly on a Wednesday, where my colleague and I work with children of all ages and abilities, teaching them arts and crafts, which is challenging but really rewarding.

I also have experience lined up to run craft sessions in a high school as part of an internship. It isn't related to my subject, but it is school experience, so I hope it counts and shows my flexibility. (I'd love to teach textiles as well as english!)

As well as school experience and craft sessions, I'm going to be volunteering with a local community group in their education for young adults sessions, doing things with CVs, employability and language skills, etc! I just hope I get enough in time!

I am hoping to get observation in 3 local high schools, but I know fine well I will have to work my butt off to get a place in time!

Good luck to you all!
Original post by Shelly_x
Your experience is excellent, you do need to make sure it translates well into your personal statement though. Make it all about what you've learnt, how it reinforces your desire to teach etc.
Get letters of recommendation from your placements and give them to your interviewer. It goes down very well.

I have all my letters of reference, with copies all ready. I am a little confused about whether you can send on any extra letters in advance of an interview, when you know a certain university has got your application, or whether you just bring them to your actual interview? They are all included within the portfolio I have of my resources, and I was planning on taking that to the interview anyway?
I have all my letters of reference, with copies all ready. I am a little confused about whether you can send on any extra letters in advance of an interview, when you know a certain university has got your application, or whether you just bring them to your actual interview? They are all included within the portfolio I have of my resources, and I was planning on taking that to the interview anyway?

You could if you wanted to, nothing is stopping you. You'd just email it through to them.
Original post by LaurieLee
Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a PGCE in Secondary English and have narraowed down a few choices.

I don't have any in-school experience yet, but do run 2 craft club sessions weekly on a Wednesday, where my colleague and I work with children of all ages and abilities, teaching them arts and crafts, which is challenging but really rewarding.

I also have experience lined up to run craft sessions in a high school as part of an internship. It isn't related to my subject, but it is school experience, so I hope it counts and shows my flexibility. (I'd love to teach textiles as well as english!)

As well as school experience and craft sessions, I'm going to be volunteering with a local community group in their education for young adults sessions, doing things with CVs, employability and language skills, etc! I just hope I get enough in time!

I am hoping to get observation in 3 local high schools, but I know fine well I will have to work my butt off to get a place in time!

Good luck to you all!

Contact schools as soon as they open, and make sure you have a CRB/DBS certificate so you're ready to start experience asap. You will need to apply as soon as applications open for Secondary English, most places were filling up by december/january this year, so you'll need to have started gaining your classroom experience before you apply. You don't necessarily need to have it all done, but you should really have started it.

Your experience is amazing! I'm pretty sure you can send in your references simply by emailing the university... I'm pretty sure of this because CVs can be attached in your application if want to send additional information so why not letters of recommendation?! PS Do we need to create a portfolio, I assumed the personal statement was somewhat of a standardised portfolio?
Original post by Feartheunknown
Your experience is amazing! I'm pretty sure you can send in your references simply by emailing the university... I'm pretty sure of this because CVs can be attached in your application if want to send additional information so why not letters of recommendation?! PS Do we need to create a portfolio, I assumed the personal statement was somewhat of a standardised portfolio?

I didn't get told to do the portfolio or anything, but I had reached a point where I had made so many resources that I was really quite proud of and I figured that I may as well put them into a portfolio and use them to aid my application and help in the interview.

as far as I know, you don't have to make one at all. When I started putting mine together, I was advised to either have one I could fill completely with really good examples of my work or not to do one at all as its only really worth doing it if its all good.

thanks for letting me know about sending the references in!
Reply 294
Original post by Shelly_x
Contact schools as soon as they open, and make sure you have a CRB/DBS certificate so you're ready to start experience asap. You will need to apply as soon as applications open for Secondary English, most places were filling up by december/january this year, so you'll need to have started gaining your classroom experience before you apply. You don't necessarily need to have it all done, but you should really have started it.

Thanks for the advice.

how do I get a CRB/DBS before I start? I was informed each different place had to have their own certificate... Also, as long as I am supervised, legally I don't need cover, here is the relevant information about visitors to schools:

Volunteers Checks are required only for those who have regular and unsupervised access to children and young people. Under the terms of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 where a volunteer is being adequately supervised, they are not considered to be working in regulated activity however often they do this, and the school does not need to request a DBS check. The Department for Education will shortly be publishing guidance to help schools decide what level of supervision would be considered adequate.

I will be starting experience in classrooms from September, it is just my subject specific experience I might not yet have started, depending on other schools. I hope to apply as soon as the course opens, as I have all my qualifications and will hopefully have a solid amount of experience by then!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LaurieLee
Thanks for the advice.

how do I get a CRB/DBS before I start? I was informed each different place had to have their own certificate... Also, as long as I am supervised, legally I don't need cover, here is the relevant information about visitors to schools:

Volunteers Checks are required only for those who have regular and unsupervised access to children and young people. Under the terms of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 where a volunteer is being adequately supervised, they are not considered to be working in regulated activity however often they do this, and the school does not need to request a DBS check. The Department for Education will shortly be publishing guidance to help schools decide what level of supervision would be considered adequate.

I will be starting experience in classrooms from September, it is just my subject specific experience I might not yet have started, depending on other schools. I hope to apply as soon as the course opens, as I have all my qualifications and will hopefully have a solid amount of experience by then!

If you've already set up your experience then they should have informed you if you need a Crb check anyway. I know you legally don't need one unless you're unsupervised, however many schools still insist upon you getting one. You can use one that has been done recently if the school you're volunteering in will accept it, so you should clarify whether they'd accept this or if they'd want an individual one with them.
Your subject specific classroom experience is the most important, so you'll definitely need to have done it before you have an interview, which is likely to be December or January but could be earlier depending on the provider.
Does the date for 2014 applications get announced in advance of October? Some sources say its early October and others say mid October.
Reply 297
Hi, I'm a recent graduate of Criminology and I'm really interested in doing a PGCE in Primary education. During my years doing Criminology, my modules and most of my elective courses have been youth oriented and it's peaked my interest into becoming a teacher. I'm hoping to apply next year as I want to gain experience in a school before applying.

However, I'm finding it difficult to gain experience in a primary school and was hoping for some advice and pointers as to how I should go about doing this. I do have the necessary GCSE requirments for doing a PGCE but I don't have a degree in a National Curriculum subject, so I believe there may be a hesitation as to what I can bring to the school.

I have experience with children as I've been a Student Ambassador for my uni and have tutored my younger sister for her 11+ exams and during her time at primary school.

Any advice that you can give me on how to gain experience and even the application would be brilliant. Thank you in advance! :smile:
Does the date for 2014 applications get announced in advance of October? Some sources say its early October and others say mid October.

Applications open November 1st according to the UCASteacher training website.
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training
Original post by AnuNaj
Hi, I'm a recent graduate of Criminology and I'm really interested in doing a PGCE in Primary education. During my years doing Criminology, my modules and most of my elective courses have been youth oriented and it's peaked my interest into becoming a teacher. I'm hoping to apply next year as I want to gain experience in a school before applying.

However, I'm finding it difficult to gain experience in a primary school and was hoping for some advice and pointers as to how I should go about doing this. I do have the necessary GCSE requirments for doing a PGCE but I don't have a degree in a National Curriculum subject, so I believe there may be a hesitation as to what I can bring to the school.

I have experience with children as I've been a Student Ambassador for my uni and have tutored my younger sister for her 11+ exams and during her time at primary school.

Any advice that you can give me on how to gain experience and even the application would be brilliant. Thank you in advance! :smile:

Schools will be unlikely to agree to take you on at the end of term time, probably why you're experiencing difficulty. Try in September and make sure you big up your previous experiences with children and also any other specific skills you have,such as art,sports etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending