The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

London as a city?

Is it good? in terms of the relationship between companies and universities?
(edited 10 years ago)
They all recruit from UCL, investment banking and such have careers fairs at the start of each year where you can talk to firms and hear about opportunities. UCL also has various societies such as investment, and economics and finances which all run events which could help to bolster any application or simply understanding. Almost all the firms require a 2:1, however a 1st or significant activities with societies would certainly aid in getting a foot in the door. I know people from economics, physics, history to fine art who all have positions at such firms. The same will be true of most of the other top rated unis.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by fatits
Ahh thank you so much for your reply! I see so UCL does frequently recieve visits from these reputable companies. However, Do you by any chance know how many people actually get job offers after they graduate? Like a ratio, percentage?

Thank you so much for your time!
You can quote people if you want a response.

I don't know about ratios, I'm not sure you could find accurate information, as not everyone applies and not everyone who get rejected reports it. That said a lot of people already hold job offers before they graduate from internships during their degree where others get offers a year afterwards. You might be better off looking in the investment banking forum of TSR or the accountancy thread for more accurate information. The degree isn't going to hold you back put it that way, if you get rejected by all of them with a UCL degree, you most likely would have got the same result with any other university. The degree will simply get you in the door, then you need to perform in the assessment centres and interviews.
Original post by fatits
Hahaha thanks! :biggrin:

Thanks for the insightful response! I guess it is true that what the university simply does is offer an opportunity. Do you know if it is common for graduates to enter these firms? Or is it like a rare occurrence which carries a sort of like 'wow thats rare/hard/etc' factor?
Its not that rare, of my friend group 70% either work for City firms, or had offers and chose otherwise. The rest are either still in education or have chosen a different route such as consultancy, start ups or law conversions or their degree lead them towards something different like medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending