The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Two languages simultaneously?

I am taking up International relations with Politics in September and I was wondering if it would be possible to take up French and German language as well. Do I have to pay any extra fees and would that be a smart idea in general? Will I even be able to keep up with all the learning?
Hi there. We offer language modules at our language school at Jessop West, including French and German. It would depend on how many free module credits you have with your course.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/politics/prospectiveug/courses/relations

I have checked and at level 1, you have 20 spare credits. You could fill these with French and German modules (10 credits each) free of charge but you will be examined as it would be part of your degree. If you would like to just study the languages separately to the course, you can do so but you pay for the 12 week course.

Does this help? Please feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Original post by pe6o32
I am taking up International relations with Politics in September and I was wondering if it would be possible to take up French and German language as well. Do I have to pay any extra fees and would that be a smart idea in general? Will I even be able to keep up with all the learning?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thank you, that was indeed helpful. 150 pounds per year for a language course isn't that much anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. But I need to know if it would be very smart to take up these languages. I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with my degree as well as the two languages at the same time, since I am not familiar with the volume and general difficulty of IR+Politics. This is my biggest concern.
Reply 3
It depends on how you want to spend your free time - do you want to commit it all to 2 languages or would you perhaps like to join some societies or get a job or something? My advice would be to do both languages in your first year and see how you get on. If you find it too difficult to manage your time appropriately, then perhaps you could carry on with the one? Time management and planning is something you will learn when you get here. For example, I used to find managing my studies with a p-t job 4 hours a week difficult at first in my first year. By the start of my third year I was managing 2 p-t jobs, my degree, gym, society stuff, long distance boyfriend etc. It all comes with practice :smile: Sorry I can't tell you about IR and politics, I studied biology!

Does this help?

Original post by pe6o32
Thank you, that was indeed helpful. 150 pounds per year for a language course isn't that much anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. But I need to know if it would be very smart to take up these languages. I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with my degree as well as the two languages at the same time, since I am not familiar with the volume and general difficulty of IR+Politics. This is my biggest concern.
Reply 4
Original post by Rosie@Sheff
It depends on how you want to spend your free time - do you want to commit it all to 2 languages or would you perhaps like to join some societies or get a job or something? My advice would be to do both languages in your first year and see how you get on. If you find it too difficult to manage your time appropriately, then perhaps you could carry on with the one? Time management and planning is something you will learn when you get here. For example, I used to find managing my studies with a p-t job 4 hours a week difficult at first in my first year. By the start of my third year I was managing 2 p-t jobs, my degree, gym, society stuff, long distance boyfriend etc. It all comes with practice :smile: Sorry I can't tell you about IR and politics, I studied biology!

Does this help?

Thank you, it most certainly does help!
I have reasons to believe that biology is harder than my degree so i think that i should be fine. I will not be working a part time the first year so i'll take up 2 languages as my free credits and see how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending