The Student Room Group

Will universities know I redid a year?

Yeah so basically I was supposed to finish my IB diploma in 2012 but I only finished it this year. The reason to this is that in January 2012 I was forced to drop out due to illness four months prior to my IB exams and hence I did not take the examinations in 2012 but only completed them this year.
I have good grades and know I want to apply to Med school for 2014 Entry and I was wondering if universities in the UK will know if I've redone a year (half a year technically) because that would surely disadvantage my application to Med School?

Thanks in Advance :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lalo334
Yeah so basically I was supposed to finish my IB diploma in 2012 but I only finished it this year. The reason to this is that in January 2012 I was forced to drop out due to illness four months prior to my IB exams and hence I did not take the examinations in 2012 but only completed them this year.
I have good grades and know I want to apply to Med school for 2014 Entry and I was wondering if universities in the UK will know if I've redone a year (half a year technically) because that would surely disadvantage my application to Med School?

Thanks in Advance :biggrin:

You will have to enter all exams and dates onto the form so they will know. Resitting due to illness wouldn't be viewed in the same way as resitting due to failure, though, and the reasons would be put in your reference.
I would assume you would have to put that down on your application. But if you did need to delay for medical purposes, then the universities should understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You will have to enter all exams and dates onto the form so they will know. Resitting due to illness wouldn't be viewed in the same way as resitting due to failure, though, and the reasons would be put in your reference.

But I only did exams in 2013 and not in 2012. How would they know I'm not just an ordinary student completing his exams in 2013.
In the IB we don't have any As, only final exams at the end of our third year.
Original post by lalo334
But I only did exams in 2013 and not in 2012. How would they know I'm not just an ordinary student completing his exams in 2013.

Because your reference will explain your circumstances.
Reply 5
If it was for medical reasons, why on earth do you want to try and hide it?
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Because your reference will explain your circumstances.

Aha okay. But are you forced to do this, because I could just ask my reference teacher to not mention it.
I don't want to do anything illegal!
Original post by lalo334

You also put your GCSE results down, so they'd see you did your GCSE's in 2010 (or whenever you sat them), but finished your IB in 2013. They'd basically see that you've got more years between getting your GCSEs and your IB than you usually would have.

Definitely get your referee to mention that you were ill, and hence didnt do your exams last year. Otherwise the universities may assume you've resat a year because you failed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
If it was for medical reasons, why on earth do you want to try and hide it?

Because many universities don't accept extenuating circumstances for Medicine, including my top choice --- UCL.
If they find out you have lied on any part of your application, they can withdraw the offer. Honesty is probably a quality universities like in Med Students. They won't look down on resits due to illness, so it shouldn't cause problems for your application.
Original post by lalo334
Aha okay. But are you forced to do this, because I could just ask my reference teacher to not mention it.
I don't want to do anything illegal!

Hiding the facts is going to be more detrimental than explaining. If you were ill, you were ill. Why try to deceive?
Reply 11
Original post by .snowflake.
You also put your GCSE results down, so they'd see you did your GCSE's in 2010 (or whenever you sat them), but finished your IB in 2013. They'd basically see that you've got more years between getting your GCSEs and your IB than you usually would have.

I don't have GCSE's. I live in Denmark.
Reply 12
Original post by lalo334
Because many universities don't accept extenuating circumstances for Medicine, including my top choice --- UCL.

Where does it say that? It doesn't even make sense, they want the best applicants, not just those who were lucky enough to not have medical problems.
Reply 13
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If they find out you have lied on any part of your application, they can withdraw the offer. Honesty is probably a quality universities like in Med Students. They won't look down on resits due to illness, so it shouldn't cause problems for your application.

They will. Many universities don't accept extenuating circumstances for Medicine, including my top choice --- UCL.
Reply 14
Original post by lalo334

Well no, since you did the exams in 2013 and you didn't have any retakes. Your referee doesn't have to mention the whole illness thing.

They may notice the difference in age, if that applies to you, but even if so, its not a big deal, especially since it was due to illness and you have proof.
Original post by lalo334
I don't have GCSE's. I live in Denmark.

Well, you'd then enter the results of the exam you sit when you're 16, whatever they may be.
Reply 16
Original post by Noble.
Where does it say that? It doesn't even make sense, they want the best applicants, not just those who were lucky enough to not have medical problems.

UCL says this:
"Students who need to resit exams in Years 12 and 13 in order to achieve the required grades may struggle subsequently on our programme. Resits of January exams the following June are permitted, but we would suggest that candidates who need to resit examinations in order to achieve the required grades may not be well-prepared for our programme."

I think it's really unfair though as I have a good reason :frown:
Original post by lalo334
They will. Many universities don't accept extenuating circumstances for Medicine, including my top choice --- UCL.

Well, it's not my area of expertise, since I mainly process arts applications, but that sounds very much like discrimination to me. I suggest you post in the medicine forum. You will need to account for the extra year somehow.
Reply 18
Original post by lalo334
UCL says this:
"Students who need to resit exams in Years 12 and 13 in order to achieve the required grades may struggle subsequently on our programme. Resits of January exams the following June are permitted, but we would suggest that candidates who need to resit examinations in order to achieve the required grades may not be well-prepared for our programme."

Erm, where does it say anything there about extenuating circumstances? It doesn't. That's aimed at people who don't have a good reason but failed and needed to repeat.
Original post by lalo334
UCL says this:

You have misunderstood. They are talking about resitting exams to improve grades. You haven't resat any exams and you aren't trying to improve on grades, because you don't have any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending