The Student Room Group

So my course is in Clearing...

Just checked on the clearing section University of Sheffield and my course is on there for clearing at ABB.

I applied there but they offered me a place if I obtain AAB. If I get ABB does that mean i'm in right? They surely can't reject me and then have clearance places for my course at ABB? Can they? lol
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If they're looking for people with ABB in clearing then yes they'll also very likely have accepted anyone for that course as firm with ABB too.
Reply 2
It's fine, a lot of universities have their clearing lists up, it doesn't affect you. But if you don't achieve what was asked of you in their offer, they can reject you and accept a better student through clearing.
Original post by Andy.Williams
Just checked on the clearing section University of Sheffield and my course is on there for clearing at ABB.

I applied there but they offered me a place if I obtain AAB. If I get ABB does that mean i'm in right? They surely can't reject me and then have clearance places for my course at ABB? Can they? lol

Well, they can, but given the amount of drumming up of business they have been doing on TSR, it wouldn't seem likely. Enjoy Sheffield. It's my home town.

Somewhere on here we did get clarification about what on earth Sheffield are doing re: Clearing and what grades you need. Give me 5 minutes and I'll find it for you :smile:
Reply 5
My sheffield as my insurance is ABB offer anyway. Where is their clearing list ?
Reply 6
Ah thanks for the replies. Well I put it as insurance... I just thought it was a done deal if I have ABB but turns out its not. Really hope they don't reject me and take someone else with the same grades through clearing. Seems pretty harsh to reject someone who applied to the university for someone who didn't but has the same grades :s-smilie:.
Reply 7
Original post by .snowflake.
Somewhere on here we did get clarification about what on earth Sheffield are doing re: Clearing and what grades you need. Give me 5 minutes and I'll find it for you :smile:

Cheers man. Appreciated!
Original post by ladynova
My sheffield as my insurance is ABB offer anyway. Where is their clearing list ?

links to clearing lists are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43916154#post43916154
Reply 9
Yeah, my course for Chemistry at Warwick is on their clearing list as well at grades BBB and my offer is AAB!

Don't worry, universities will prefer to choose you, someone who applied to their university in the first place and incedently, someone they chose and liked from the interview than some random person who chose it as backup/last plan.
Reply 10

there is sheffield hallam but not sheffield
Reply 11
Original post by Naami
Yeah, my course for Chemistry at Warwick is on their clearing list as well at grades BBB and my offer is AAB!

Don't worry, universities will prefer to choose you, someone who applied to their university in the first place and incedently, someone they chose and liked from the interview than some random person who chose it as backup/last plan.

Best of luck :smile:. My scenario is I only need to get a high D in one paper for ABB or two A's in two papers to get AAB lol. Hence why I would be so much happier knowing i only need ABB lol.
Reply 12
Original post by Naami

I'm in the same position as you, same uni, same course, but I applied through Extra, so do you think if I got BBB or even ABB, I could still be accepted? I didn't have an interview.
Ah thanks for the replies. Well I put it as insurance... I just thought it was a done deal if I have ABB but turns out its not. Really hope they don't reject me and take someone else with the same grades through clearing. Seems pretty harsh to reject someone who applied to the university for someone who didn't but has the same grades :s-smilie:.

RE: what on earth is going on with Clearing this year. I do not blame any of you who are holding conditional offers at Sheffield for being confused. I'm there and I'm confused! I assume, anyone who meets/ exceeds their offer, are in. They'll then look at those who missed their offer. <ABB =/= REJECT, well, for my course last year it wasn't. If you get ABB, they'll still take you (if there's room), because putting them as your insurance choice tells them you like the place and want to be there, so you're less likely to drop out because you hate the place, compared to those coming via clearing because they've missed both their firm and insurance.

Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi all,

I just thought I'd edit this post to avoid any confusion.

All students who have already applied to the University will be our priority when we receive A level results. If a student does not achieve what we've asked for in their offer, we will then consider whether we can still offer a place if the student achieves ABB. As noted on our Clearing web pages, if we then have any more places available for ABB+ students, these will be advertised through Clearing

Hope that helps!
The Uni of Manchester has my course (PPE) in their clearing lists but only available to international students, can that change to home and international students or will it stay as only international?

https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/

(click on sheffield.ac.uk, click on the big "CLEARING" picture on the front page, click on "Apply" to see the vacancies)
Reply 16
Cheers @.snowflake - Clears it up a bit. Its just makes sense that you would take someone who has the same grade but has actually applied to the University over someone who hasn't.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing

Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Zeegie
I'm in the same position as you, same uni, same course, but I applied through Extra, so do you think if I got BBB or even ABB, I could still be accepted? I didn't have an interview.

*high five*! Tbh we didn't have an interview, just an applicant visit day where we saw the facilities and campus etc. so its not like any of the professors/lecturers knew us. I don't know how it'll be tomorrow -- though I'm guessing they won't treat people who applied through Extra any differently to those who applied before but rather give the place to someone who missed the grade narrowly (ABB) to someone who might've missed it by a bit more (BBB). I knew someone last year who saw his track was successful and got into Imperial for chemistry (his offer was A*AA) then got to school to see he actually missed his offer (AAA). It was a narrow miss which is why I think he got on.
Reply 19
the offer on clearing for sheffield is exactly the same as my offer so I guess they will not be leniant for me! Oh but the difference is that they don't mind a B in the subject instead of an A like they asked for.

Fingers crossed for tomo. Best case scenario I don't even end up at Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending