The Student Room Group

Name that element - Chemistry game

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PythianLegume
It's a noble gas, but you think it should be a halogen? :lolwut:

Oh, I understand your confusion now. The statement "it is a noble gas" by myself referred to the answer of the member ks1994. I wanted to say the member who gave that answer that neon is a noble gas. I'm sorry that my answer was not clear enough.

Original post by deedee123
???? :confused:

The same applies to your comment. The element which should be guessed is still a halogen, that is to say it is in the seventh main group of PSE. I hope that I was able to eliminate the confusion.

Original post by SpiggyTopes
Helium then?

No, Helium is not the element.
Does anyone wanna guess what element has the highest density (metal), without referring to Google? :wink:
Original post by James A
Does anyone wanna guess what element has the highest density (metal), without referring to Google? :wink:

Tungsten, I believe?
Original post by BooAlphie
Group 7, but he said it's a Noble Gas not a Halogen?

A noble gas that counts as a halogen!
Reply 24
Original post by Kallisto
Oh, I understand your confusion now. The statement "it is a noble gas" by myself referred to the answer of the member ks1994. I wanted to say the member who gave that answer that neon is a noble gas

Got it! I understand now
Reply 25
A noble gas that counts as a halogen!

It's not a Noble gas ^^^
Get it now
Original post by bellatrixb
Tungsten, I believe?

:nah:
Original post by James A

I say Osmium, but I think that might be second.

Looks like we have a winnerrrrrr

Taken from Wiki.

Osmium is a chemical element with the symbol Os and atomic number 76. It is a hard, brittle, bluish-white transition metal in the platinum family and is the densest naturally occurring element, with a density of 22.59 g/cm3.

I think I read somewhere it's either osmium or iridium, depending on who you believe.

It's either osmium or iridium. Can't remember.
Well, Kallisto's element could be any of the first four halogens. But I'll go with Fluorine.
Original post by James A
Looks like we have a winnerrrrrr

Taken from Wiki.

I knew those online questions from the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge would help me one day.
Original post by James A

Original post by illusionz
It's either osmium or iridium. Can't remember.

Whichever you like really, they're so close that it cannot be said with any real certainty. The latest data keeps switching the rosette between the two.
Well, Kallisto's element could be any of the first four halogens. But I'll go with Fluorine.

You have guessed the element! it is Fluorine indeed! its your turn to think out a new element. Have fun!
Fluorine?- it's a halogen and pretty sure it's not radioactive
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Ooh ooh guess my element! It's a transition metal and it's also an actinide! :rolleyes:

Actinium? Only one I can think of as I think the later actinides only have the s and f shell occupied.

But seriously, is this a real thing or just something you/ a friend/ your teacher came up with.....
Reply 37
This is more one for the engineers/materials scientists.

Which element has a HCP structure at low temperature, a BCC structure at high temperatures (>1100 K), and will creep at room temperature?
Original post by BigBangTheory1
Fluorine?- it's a halogen and pretty sure it's not radioactive

You are too late. PythianLegume gave the right answer before.
Original post by Kallisto
You have guessed the element! it is Fluorine indeed! its your turn to think out a new element. Have fun!

A slightly more specific question....

Which element undergoes a phase transition from a malleable metallic phase to a non-metallic brittle phase at ~10 degrees centigrade.

Quick Reply

Latest