The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got the rest of my school supplies today wooo. Now just need results to confirm I'm into sixth form so I can get my butt over there and start working again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunshine20710
I find myself not even minding anymore.. as long as I get enough to return to sixth form, I'll be happy :smile: I hate putting too much pressure on myself to get certain grades, so I've decided to just be okay with whatever I end up getting, provided it gets me back into school :smile:

Maths is starting to worry me slightly though, since I want to do it for a level and I have a feeling it's gone really badly for me :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you can, somehow, still remember any of your answers, you could check them against Mr. M's mark schemes. :smile:
Original post by Glitch96
I was in set 4 at one point, the teacher hated the class so much she said she was going to quit :redface: in set 3 the students told the teacher to go back to her old job, and in set 2 the teacher was showing everyone photos of her grandchild. I never made it to the top :colondollar: The math department head also said I wasn't as good as I thought I was when I insisted moving up classes, although I did end up getting (after retakes :/) an A* and 3 ums off an A*, the latter because my teacher wasted time on pointless topics, so needless to say I didn't have a chance to even consider additional math which I heard of from a friend, as it is English suffered greatly, I may not even get a B in it :bawling:. Onward to A levels and not leaving your education in the hands of others.

I disagree with someone being forced to do the additional GCSE, especially when you're clueless on the subject but at least you'll get good core math results! So what are you taking for A levels?

I completely disagree with you in my school and a lot of other schools, 2 English GCSEs are compulsory for top sets (language and Lit), 2 Science GCSEs with the option of 3 but not 2 Maths GCSEs-it seems to be discrimination against the subject.
@Tsjmcgrath (sorry I can't work out how to quote on the app version haha) ahh I wish I could, I compared answers with others after the exam, so I know I got a few right. but the last question of one of the papers threw me completely, and I couldn't answer it :s-smilie:

I just wish results day would hurry up and get here already :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All this talk on results and especially the fact that the A-Level results are coming out tomorrow (so 7 days left tomorrow) is making me SOOOOOO NERVOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hate waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by sophie238
Never had OCR before but I've heard they're horrible, good to know they're not all bad for everyone! Two of my subjects next year are with them:s-smilie:

I think it depends on the subject, AQA look to be the best for Maths with a lot of low grade boundaries for Unit 1 and 2 but Unit 3 grade boundaries aren't too good but Edexcel are definetley the best for English Language(only 35% Writing compared to 40% for the other boards), considering I'm terrible at writing this was great for me and I probably wouldn't have got an A* otherwise.However, the grade boundaries are pretty bad for Edexcel in general compared to AQA.
Talking about English, can anyone help me figure out my grade? I asked this a few weeks ago but nobody could answer me, sorry for the repetition.
I got 106 ums (108 being an a*) for my English language exam, full marks in all writing controlled assessments but only an A in the speaking and listening controlled assessments. Will I get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheesePuffff
Talking about English, can anyone help me figure out my grade? I asked this a few weeks ago but nobody could answer me, sorry for the repetition.
I got 106 ums (108 being an a*) for my English language exam, full marks in all writing controlled assessments but only an A in the speaking and listening controlled assessments. Will I get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably, the speaking and listening are worth a lower percentage of the results I believe
Original post by Darnell LD97
Dont worry you will be fine OCR are not bad as everyone thinks. What subjects are you taking next year?

English Literature, Chemistry, French and History, the first two being with OCR. How about you?
Is anyone doing French AQA? I did two writing assessments which I got a*'s in, and two speaking which I got an a* and a B... Is that an a, a b or an a* overall for the coursework??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, I meant controlled assessments not coursework..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
I completely disagree with you in my school and a lot of other schools, 2 English GCSEs are compulsory for top sets (language and Lit), 2 Science GCSEs with the option of 3 but not 2 Maths GCSEs-it seems to be discrimination against the subject.

I see what you mean and at my school everyone has to do the 2 English and 2 Science GCSE's no matter what set you're in so why not do it for Math as well? Further Math seems to be kept quiet and very few people did it at my school. Here the 6th mandatory subject is RE, and any further Math lessons take place outside of school so it seems like RE is taking higher priority. If it was a time constraint then they could have put things together better rather than pushing everyone to do 2 English and 2 Science, they could do what your school did and make each further GCSE for the higher sets. Now that I think about it yes further Math should be mandatory, at least for the higher sets.
Original post by sunshine20710
@Tsjmcgrath (sorry I can't work out how to quote on the app version haha) ahh I wish I could, I compared answers with others after the exam, so I know I got a few right. but the last question of one of the papers threw me completely, and I couldn't answer it :s-smilie:

I just wish results day would hurry up and get here already :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you just have to resort to using the code version, so that would be:
[ QUOTE ] Blah blah blah. [ / QUOTE ] (Remove the spaces)
Never really tried it myself.

Oh, the last ones almost always throw me, they're often the toughest (sometimes it's the penultimate one though, they like to confuse you) questions. I often say, "This time I'm going to start at the end and work backwards!" I never do. I'm always too scared.

EDIT: You can tell I'd never tried that because the first time I did it it didn't work. Clever me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NinjaPandaa
probably, the speaking and listening are worth a lower percentage of the results I believe

Okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else having the nerves step up a notch with the A-Level results being out tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
Anyone else having the nerves step up a notch with the A-Level results being out tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, I gotta friend who's expecting As results tomorrow, and she's so nervous, it's making me nervous for her, me and for everyone else on the 22nd :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely! It's a bit like when you're queuing up for something scary and you see the person in front of you go and then you're stood there thinking "oh god it's me next what do I do" but then you think "it's fine it's fine, if they can do it so can I" :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3237
Im not to worried as im only in Year 10 and im finding out my Maths results but im still excited

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel excited to watch the news and stuff tomorrow for the A-Level results but after that's done I'm going to be so much more nervous for our own results!
Original post by CheesePuffff
Definitely! It's a bit like when you're queuing up for something scary and you see the person in front of you go and then you're stood there thinking "oh god it's me next what do I do" but then you think "it's fine it's fine, if they can do it so can I" :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

love this ahah

Latest