The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SyedaK
should've made a bet on it

:wink:
Anyone do AQA English Literature B? What do you think of the grade boundaries?
Original post by annemariemoore
Mine's Ancient History and Archaeology, but there's a lot of different courses with similar lower offers here. :biggrin:

Oh okay, well that's good
There's hope yet I guess :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm scared. :s-smilie:
Original post by kidomo
And to be able to use those words in an intelligent way.

Yes of course. Any idiot can recite a dense piece of text.
Reply 8345
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

I did! AS or A2? I done AS.
Original post by ElChapo
No they don't? Take an intelligent mathematician for example. Vocabulary isn't a measure of intelligence. It can be an indicator however

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can't communicate your subject, you aren't intelligent enough in my opinion. You may be clever, but not intelligent.

:wavey:

They are alright I think, English boundaries don't tend to move around that much.

(I know that is horrible grammar but w/e I'm nervous :tongue:)
Original post by MeganRok
I'm scared. :s-smilie:

Me too! Which results are you waiting on?
Anyone else thinking of hitchhiking to their university to camp outside 'till they open, then beg plead, cry throw a tantrum and anything else you can think of to get accepted to any course if you miss your offer.
Original post by Collierja

Anecdotes may be prone to mis-generalisations but at least they offer rich data. As long as you have more than an acceptable number of anecdotes, you should be justified in believing that there's a trend.

Anyone can provide any number of anecdotes of dubious reliability.

But all too often it's the case that they work harder because they are pushed or because they are instilled with a good work ethic. The latter is not a bad thing, nor necessarily is the former, provided your parents don't place unrealistic expectations which get in the way of you enjoying your youth. Yes, the person who sits the exams is you, but at a young age, you are very impressionable, and if your parents are bad role models, you're more likely to imitate their indifference...

I agree that parental attitude has an important effect, but this is no reason to hate private school pupils - it sounds more like an issue with your own parents if any.

Maybe not, but smaller class sizes and more individual attention from teachers, as well as longer school days (and in some cases, 6 school days a week) definitely pays off. Not to mention being able to learn at a place with a zero-bullying tolerance that's actually taken very seriously, and the luxury of not having to be taught in the same room as those 1 or 2 destined-to-be-criminals, which, believe me, you'll find in almost every state school class, while less 'with-it' kids dread every lesson and spend most of their time wondering how they'll be victimised or humiliated next, which is a huge distraction to their learning. This might sound daft to people who have never been to a state secondary school, but the chavs and the scum are usually at the top of the social hierarchy. Sometimes you have to side with the powerful and join in with the bullying in order to survive!

Firstly, I don't need lecturing on what state schools are like; I have been in one all my life as a FSM pupil. Your description is reasonably accurate but vastly over-exaggerated and the idea of "joining in bullying in order to survive" is a ridiculous one. If you did this then you should be ashamed.

Whenever school inspectors come into classrooms for their yearly duties, pupils are threatened by their teachers beforehand to act on their best behaviour. All these conclusions that state schools are satisfactory is based on evidence that doesn't quite reflect what actually goes on behind closed doors. Bullying is far worse at state schools than it is at private schools. Even kids who aren't bullied go through a lot of fear. It's this uncomfortable environment that drags state school kids down. I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about serious emotional bullying that can really scar you.

All schools put on a show for Ofsted, not just state schools. I also do not believe that private schools are free from bullying, nor that state schools are incubators for bullies. It sounds like you have just had a particularly bad personal experience as whilst there were definitely them at mine they were the normal kind everyone experiences.

Sure, when you reach GCSE/6th form, bullying occurs less, but those feelings of ostracisation and lovesickness become your next problem when that girl you're obsessed with gets a boyfriend, leaving you feeling suicidal, as she hangs out in her elite little clique that only welcomes those who survived Years 7 - 9 unscathed. Then, as soon as she turns 16, rumours flood the playground that she's having sex with this joke of a person, while you lie on your bed alone, crying and masterbating...

Over-exaggeration of the century.
Reading aren't appearing in clearing yet ****ing hell.
Reply 8352
I fear that may sleep though results day and if i stay awake then I will look like a druggie
For AS results, what do they give you? Do they give you the overall AS grade, or just the module grade? They have the coursework grades too, right?
Reply 8354

whats is for an A?
Original post by Gilgamesh
For AS results, what do they give you? Do they give you the overall AS grade, or just the module grade? They have the coursework grades too, right?

They should give you the UMS marks of every module. I think they might give you overall Grade/UMS too.
I have an AS result coming tomorrow as well? Will it all be on one paper?
Original post by DJMayes

Sure, when you reach GCSE/6th form, bullying occurs less, but those feelings of ostracisation and lovesickness become your next problem when that girl you're obsessed with gets a boyfriend, leaving you feeling suicidal, as she hangs out in her elite little clique that only welcomes those who survived Years 7 - 9 unscathed. Then, as soon as she turns 16, rumours flood the playground that she's having sex with this joke of a person, while you lie on your bed alone, crying and masterbating...

Over-exaggeration of the century.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that happened to no one at my sixth form, everyone is happier.

Someone is being really dramatic. Most people have normally functioning brains and are happy human beings
Original post by Gilgamesh

Think what they do is, they give you all modules done grade and then an overall grade for each individual subject :smile:. )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by im so academic
If you can't communicate your subject, you aren't intelligent enough in my opinion. You may be clever, but not intelligent.

You guys do realise that ISA is trolling this A-level results thread.

(She/he) did (her/his) A-Levels a couple of years ago if you look at (her/his) previous TSR posts from 2008 onwards.

Don't think that ISA is one of us, because (he/she) ain't.