The Student Room Group

Harry potter and the methods of rationality - by less wrong/eliezer yudkowsky

One of my teachers at school recommended this book to me after i told him i am a total fanatic of JK rowling's books and i've watched all the films.

This new version of harry potter so happens to be much longer than all of JK rowling's books put together.

Has anyone been reading this book?
Where are you upto?
What do you think of it so far?

Would you say it is worth reading the whole book? Considering that we have 96 chapters to read?

If you have no clue what i am talking about, try this... hpmor.com
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've read it. If you're familiar with Harry potter fanfiction (especially the FanFiction.Net community which is the best site to read this one and others) it's definitely in the Top 3 in terms of quality of story and writing.

It's essentially the idea that Petunia marries a scientist rather than Dursley, and Harry becomes somewhat of a child genius. This allows him (and the reader) to look at the Harry Potter universe in a far more critical, philosophical and scientific light.

More logic is used and there's a slightly darker tone, with more detail put into things. Harry is a far more complex character and the faults in the wizarding world and science of magic are explored, it's really interesting.

It's unlikely to be finished any time soon though, it's been over a year or two realtime by now since it was posted (i think) and we're up to near the end of the first year and 96 chapters, just FYI if it may bother you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
I've read it. If you're familiar with Harry potter fanfiction (especially the FanFiction.Net community which is the best site to read this one and others) it's definitely in the Top 3 in terms of quality of story and writing.

It's essentially the idea that Petunia marries a scientist rather than Dursley, and Harry becomes somewhat of a child genius. This allows him (and the reader) to look at the Harry Potter universe in a far more critical, philosophical and scientific light.

More logic is used and there's a slightly darker tone, with more detail put into things. Harry is a far more complex character and the faults in the wizarding world and science of magic are explored, it's really interesting.

It's unlikely to be finished any time soon though, it's been over a year or two realtime by now since it was posted (i think) and we're up to near the end of the first year and 96 chapters, just FYI if it may bother you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I will definitely read it then!

I was just wondering, how much did you read everyday?
I dont think i will have enough time in 1 day to read 1 full chapter, especially from september onwards.
Original post by Infinity_4652
Thanks! I will definitely read it then!

I was just wondering, how much did you read everyday?
I dont think i will have enough time in 1 day to read 1 full chapter, especially from september onwards.

I read it all in one day back when there were c.80 chapters, so I'm not really any use, but just read as much as you want. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
I read it all in one day back when there were c.80 chapters, so I'm not really any use, but just read as much as you want. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! You read the whole 80 chapters in one day??!! :eek:

Thanks for your help though!
Reply 5
I've seen this on fanfiction.net but I haven't read it because I was unsure of the premise, I'll give it a go now though :biggrin:

On another note, if anyone enjoys The Walking Dead fanfiction, I highly recommend 'Graveyard Dirt and Salt' by SpyVsTailor. Excellent read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! You read the whole 80 chapters in one day??!! :eek:

Thanks for your help though!

I'm a fast reader and I tend to ignore everything else whilst I'm reading a good book. :tongue: .I started it when I was eating breakfast and only put it down to have a shower and make a sandwich for lunch till I finished quite late at night. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A THREAD ABOUT HARRY POTTER FANFICTION, PRAISE.

...sorry, I tend to get carried away :blush:
Anyway, I have read up to Chapter 10 or so, but I stopped reading it because of the amount of rants I've read about it. People say it was really good for the beginning chapters, and then proceeds to totally derail and that they had to force themselves to read the end. I'm not sure if I'll read it in the future too, actually, if it's not completed.
I'd never heard if it until now, so I just went to have a loot, got about 3 chapters in, and... I hate it. I absolutely loathe it. I think it's one of the worst fanfics I have ever read. :frown:
Original post by snowyowl
I'd never heard if it until now, so I just went to have a loot, got about 3 chapters in, and... I hate it. I absolutely loathe it. I think it's one of the worst fanfics I have ever read. :frown:

:eek:
I'm guessing you've never spent more than 5 minutes browsing FanFiction.Net then. :tongue: Or read the first part of My Immortal. :shudders:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
:eek:
I'm guessing you've never spent more than 5 minutes browsing FanFiction.Net then. :tongue: Or read the first part of My Immortal. :shudders:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to spend several hours a night on there when I was younger, but I haven't read My Immortal, that's true.
Reply 12

What don't you like about it? I don't know if I should read it ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read about 45 chapters, then kind of lost interest. It has a few good moments.
Original post by Sheldor
I'm a fast reader and I tend to ignore everything else whilst I'm reading a good book. :tongue: .I started it when I was eating breakfast and only put it down to have a shower and make a sandwich for lunch till I finished quite late at night. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theres a book for it? Did you get it from amazon?
I thought there was only the hpmor.com website to read this new version.

Are you a fanatic of harry potter? If so, how much?

No, I read it on my phone via FanFiction.Net. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
No, I read it on my phone via FanFiction.Net. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you also read the casual vacancy?
Original post by JodieW
What don't you like about it? I don't know if I should read it ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't put it into words really. I just hated it. I found the whole premise so... I don't know, it just lacked the magic of Harry Potter and it was so dull and dreary and just... It was anti-imaginative, in my opinion. It was like the authors were taking everything that made the HP series so special and putting a huge "NO" stamp on it.

Hugely :biggrin: I lived and breathed it as a child. I'm still a huge fan now. I used to be a very regular poster in the Harry Potter subforums when they existed on here.
Have you also read the casual vacancy?

Yeah, I wasn't that into it. I found it a bit too slow, but that that was probably because I read it while I was sick, should probably give it another go. :smile: Have you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hugely :biggrin: I lived and breathed it as a child. I'm still a huge fan now. I used to be a very regular poster in the Harry Potter subforums when they existed on here.

Oh yh, why have the harry potter threads died out?
Will you make a new one for us? :biggrin:

Original post by Sheldor
Yeah, I wasn't that into it. I found it a bit too slow, but that that was probably because I read it while I was sick, should probably give it another go. :smile: Have you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, i havent read it. I read the blurb at the back and it didnt interest me so much.
I really do wonder though what JK rowling's next book will be though? Maybe casual vacancy 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending