The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheesePuffff
Definitely! It's a bit like when you're queuing up for something scary and you see the person in front of you go and then you're stood there thinking "oh god it's me next what do I do" but then you think "it's fine it's fine, if they can do it so can I" :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice way of putting it! +1 :smile:
Sometimes being the second child is fairly annoying... I know this sounds selfish, but my parents are so much more concerned with my sister getting her A level results than they are with me getting my GCSE results. I know that obviously A levels are more important, but it's just that I seem to remember that my parents were a lot more worried/nervous/excited/fussy about my sister's GCSE results a few years ago than they are about mine... I just feel as if since my sister's already done her GCSEs (and did fairly well in them), my parents don't see that me receiving mine is a big deal. And I know that when it's my turn to receive my A level results in the future my parents will feel the same way as they'll have already seen one child get them so the second time it's 'old news'. :frown:

I realise this is incredibly selfish but I would have just thought that my parents would've given me a bit more attention about it.... I dunno, i just needed to vent a bit haha :tongue:

And even when she receives her results tomorrow, my parents will be busy sorting university things out for her and I'm worried that my GCSE results day will sort of get overlooked and disregarded.. Hmmmm

EDIT: I've just re-read this and omg I'm being such an attention-seeking teenager lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sunshine20710
yeah, I gotta friend who's expecting As results tomorrow, and she's so nervous, it's making me nervous for her, me and for everyone else on the 22nd :/

Yeah, my boyfriend is getting his AS results tomorrow, I asked him about it earlier and he just said 'I don't want to talk about it!' and I was like 'Oh God...'

Original post by Jatz07
Yes, I'm going to watch the news tomorrow and see what happens with A-level results... the scary thing is that our results are literally next week and after tomorrow the countdown is just getting closer and closer!

Jatz

Yeah, same, and read everything that comes out in the news! Especially in the subjects I'm looking at taking.

Original post by CheesePuffff
Definitely! It's a bit like when you're queuing up for something scary and you see the person in front of you go and then you're stood there thinking "oh god it's me next what do I do" but then you think "it's fine it's fine, if they can do it so can I" :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES! :lol: it's exactly like that! I've always had the buffer 'it's alright, A-Levels come first' but not anymore! :erm:

Original post by wakemeup
I feel excited to watch the news and stuff tomorrow for the A-Level results but after that's done I'm going to be so much more nervous for our own results!

Same here :s
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Sometimes being the second child is fairly annoying... I know this sounds selfish, but my parents are so much more concerned with my sister getting her A level results than they are with me getting my GCSE results. I know that obviously A levels are more important, but it's just that I seem to remember that my parents were a lot more worried/nervous/excited/fussy about my sister's GCSE results a few years ago than they are about mine... I just feel as if since my sister's already done her GCSEs (and did fairly well in them), my parents don't see that me receiving mine is a big deal. And I know that when it's my turn to receive my A level results in the future my parents will feel the same way as they'll have already seen one child get them so the second time it's 'old news'. :frown:

I realise this is incredibly selfish but I would have just thought that my parents would've given me a bit more attention about it.... I dunno, i just needed to vent a bit haha :tongue:

And even when she receives her results tomorrow, my parents will be busy sorting university things out for her and I'm worried that my GCSE results day will sort of get overlooked and disregarded.. Hmmmm

Awww, that sucks :console:

Just keep mentioning it...how you're nervous or something, plus you still have an extra week so maybe by Monday when all the A-Level stuff has calmed down they'll be more concerned with you? A-Levels are important as they'll essentially decide your sister's future, but your GCSEs have the same importance for you at the moment, maybe your parents need a little reminder of that :smile:

EDIT: I've just re-read this and omg I'm being such an attention-seeking teenager lol

Haha, I get what you mean, I have the same sort of problem and I know others who have it too! It's a bit annoying but I'm a bit of an introvert really, especially when it comes to awards and qualifications, so I'm not too fussed that they aren't questioning me about it. As for any rewards, monetary or whatever, I'm not too fussed although it would be nice to get something. I'm not sure what my brother got though, so if he didn't get anything it makes sense that I shouldn't too.

Recently my mum and dad asked me, "So what marks do you need to get your grades?" and I talked them through every subject and every single detail of the coursework and exams... Yeah, safe to say they looked a little bored by the end of it. :wink: I tend to rant or rave a bit when I start talking about GCSEs so that may be why I don't get asked questions that much.
Original post by Molly_xox
Awww, that sucks :console:

Just keep mentioning it...how you're nervous or something, plus you still have an extra week so maybe by Monday when all the A-Level stuff has calmed down they'll be more concerned with you? A-Levels are important as they'll essentially decide your sister's future, but your GCSEs have the same importance for you at the moment, maybe your parents need a little reminder of that :smile:

Hmm yeah I suppose you're right. I also keep telling myself that it's because my sister doesn't revise as much as me and isn't (quite) as intelligent as me etc, and that therefore my parents actually have more of a need to worry about her rather than about me lol :wink:.
Yeah maybe I just should give it time :smile:
Hi! I'm so tense about it next week...
I'm so excited to get my results at the moment, but I might fail English which is going to be the thing I'm most nervous about. -__-
Reply 3248
Hmm yeah I suppose you're right. I also keep telling myself that it's because my sister doesn't revise as much as me and isn't (quite) as intelligent as me etc, and that therefore my parents actually have more of a need to worry about her rather than about me lol :wink:.
They'll come around,dw my parents did! Originaly my parents thought results day was last thursday:bricks:. But yeh im the opposite, my (twin) sister is probably going to beat me on results day, my parents are going to be positively horrified :ashamed2:
Lol I hope my sob story made you feel better:tongue:

That's the way to do it, your parents aren't worried because they have enough faith in you not to need to worry about you :wink:

See, I'm a first born and my younger sister always gets my parents' attention...case of grass is always greener I guess :lol:
Reply 3250
Original post by fightingduck
I'm so excited to get my results at the moment, but I might fail English which is going to be the thing I'm most nervous about. -__-

I'm in exactly the same boat as you haha, English is definitely my weakest subject.
Original post by tsjmcgrath
Haha, I get what you mean, I have the same sort of problem and I know others who have it too! It's a bit annoying but I'm a bit of an introvert really, especially when it comes to awards and qualifications, so I'm not too fussed that they aren't questioning me about it. As for any rewards, monetary or whatever, I'm not too fussed although it would be nice to get something. I'm not sure what my brother got though, so if he didn't get anything it makes sense that I shouldn't too.

Recently my mum and dad asked me, "So what marks do you need to get your grades?" and I talked them through every subject and every single detail of the coursework and exams... Yeah, safe to say they looked a little bored by the end of it. :wink: I tend to rant or rave a bit when I start talking about GCSEs so that may be why I don't get asked questions that much.

I also totally start ranting when I discuss my education with my parents too! ...they now actually usually make a deliberate effort to change the subject whenever I bring it up, but I suppose that's my fault really :tongue:
Neither my sister nor I get 'rewards' such as money for our grades, but we normally go out for a celebratory/consolatory family meal. I suppose this way it's fair since no matter how well/badly we do, our efforts are always acknowledged. But I wouldn't mind if my parents sat down and talked to me a little more about my GCSEs and what I actually had to do etc. :smile:
I didn't even read the two texts for my English Literature exam, should be good fun getting the results for that.
Original post by Molly_xox
That's the way to do it, your parents aren't worried because they have enough faith in you not to need to worry about you :wink:

See, I'm a first born and my younger sister always gets my parents' attention...case of grass is always greener I guess :lol:

Haha, yeaaah! You've really helped me feel better - I would give you some rep but I've given out too much already :frown: ...I'll give you a +1 tomorrow, promise! :biggrin:
Reply 3254
Original post by WesterosWildling
Is anyone doing the following by the way? AQA English Language, AQA English Literature, OCR 21st Century Science Biology/Chemistry/Physics, Level 2 Further Mathematics, Edexcel History, Edexcel RE, AQA Geography, AQA Graphics. I've already completed Edexcel French (B), AQA Maths (A) and AQA Food Technology(A*).

I did Edexcel history A. I did in depth study of Russia post WW1, sources on the USA , Northern Ireland controlled assessment and modules 4,5,6 for unit 1, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
They'll come around,dw my parents did! Originaly my parents thought results day was last thursday:bricks:. But yeh im the opposite, my (twin) sister is probably going to beat me on results day, my parents are going to be positively horrified :ashamed2:
Lol I hope my sob story made you feel better:tongue:

Haha, well I'm sure you'll do better than you think you will - good luck :smile:
Haha, yeaaah! You've really helped me feel better - I would give you some rep but I've given out too much already :frown: ...I'll give you a +1 tomorrow, promise! :biggrin:

Aww really? Anytime :smile: thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by radhikagulati
x

Wow! For English I did TKAM too and I thought the passage was rubbish! There was literally nothing you could analyse! I'm sure you did great in Maths and Philosophy&Ethics though. As long as you put a personal viewpoint (for P&E), then paragraphs shouldn't really matter.

Good Luck to you too :smile: xx
Reply 3258
Haha, well I'm sure you'll do better than you think you will - good luck :smile:
Aw thanks! You to (you probably don't need it tbh:tongue:) What sort of grades are you anticipating? :smile:
I think I'm more nervous about the fact that we can't do anything to change our results as opposed to being nervous about what I actually got...

Latest