The Student Room Group

Should I be worried that most of the courses are in clearing?

Leicester has courses in clearing and are asking for BBB when originally they asked for AAA. Even Sheffield,Warwick and almost all of Loughborough courses are in clearing
I don't see why that would worry you... :confused:
Original post by vanessap
Leicester has courses in clearing and are asking for BBB when originally they asked for AAA. Even Sheffield,Warwick and almost all of Loughborough courses are in clearing

Worried? Why? It's starting to look like the sale of the century. Universities seem to be taking advantage of the lifting of the cap on ABB+ students to expand numbers. On a personal level, if you had an offer for AAA and they've dropped to BBB in clearing, you've not got much to worry about unless you had a serious ​meltdown in the exams.
Reply 3
The number of applicants is lower than it use to be so more spaces are available. University like a course to be full so they can make their money out of it, thus lowering entry requirements for clearing. Simple as that.
Reply 4
Original post by Swanbow
The number of applicants is lower than it use to be so more spaces are available. University like a course to be full so they can make their money out of it, thus lowering entry requirements for clearing. Simple as that.

why?
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Worried? Why? It's starting to look like the sale of the century. Universities seem to be taking advantage of the lifting of the cap on ABB+ students to expand numbers. On a personal level, if you had an offer for AAA and they've dropped to BBB in clearing, you've not got much to worry about unless you had a serious ​meltdown in the exams.

Lool I guess you are right.
Original post by JPL9457
why?

Well, it's a comparative thing really. Two years ago there was an artificial surge of people trying to beat the fee increase, which resulted in a fall the following year. The economic climate is putting people off. All sorts of factors.

I'm sure there's an aspect of that, but last year was also a pretty good year for Clearing because of the clamp down on grade-flation. A lot more people didn't meet their offer than in previous years last year, and a lot more people were accepted despite that even if they were capped. Early indications are that trend might be continuing this year?

Moral of the story if you're waiting on offers - missing your grades is not always a guaranteed rejection as it used to be. Iif ofqual does clamp down, then its effect on applicants' university places is minimal because universities have to adjust by reducing their offers and being more lenient.

Of course... I'm only hypothesizing here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by F1 fanatic
I'm sure there's an aspect of that, but last year was also a pretty good year for Clearing because of the clamp down on grade-flation. A lot more people didn't meet their offer than in previous years last year, and a lot more people were accepted despite that even if they were capped. Early indications are that trend might be continuing this year?

Moral of the story if you're waiting on offers - missing your grades is not always a guaranteed rejection as it used to be. Iif ofqual does clamp down, then its effect on applicants' university places is minimal because universities have to adjust by reducing their offers and being more lenient.

Of course... I'm only hypothesizing here.

I'm sure you're right. It's seemed to be a better environment for those who miss their offers than it used to be. It makes advising kids on where to apply in the first place a bit more difficult than it used to be, though.
I'm sure you're right. It's seemed to be a better environment for those who miss their offers than it used to be. It makes advising kids on where to apply in the first place a bit more difficult than it used to be, though.

Indeed, it only really works if the universities reduce their entry requirements to reflect the falling grades, but I guess that wouldn't go down well in the marketing department!
Indeed, it only really works if the universities reduce their entry requirements to reflect the falling grades, but I guess that wouldn't go down well in the marketing department!

No. In the old days, you knew where you were - which were the courses that wouldn't budge and were out of a kid's reach. Now it's almost worth saying to a kid with BBB predictions that it's worth having a shot at anything. I wouldn't, but it makes it a difficult job.
No. In the old days, you knew where you were - which were the courses that wouldn't budge and were out of a kid's reach. Now it's almost worth saying to a kid with BBB predictions that it's worth having a shot at anything. I wouldn't, but it makes it a difficult job.

I guess the advice is take a punt on 1 or 2, place 2-3 based on entry requirements then stick in a safe bet.
I guess the advice is take a punt on 1 or 2, place 2-3 based on entry requirements then stick in a safe bet.

That's pretty much always been the advice. Two safe bets if the kid's a bit iffy.
I wouldn't be worried just really annoyed. People work really hard to meet their AAA or AAB conditional offers!
Reply 16
Original post by JPL9457
why?

Its a general trend across the whole board, mainly due to the rise in tuition fees. There are around 40,000 fewer applicants this year compared to 2011.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending