The Student Room Group

A level choice regrets

Im starting college soon and as you got your results or will do tomorrow any regteys you have on you options or the fact you changed your option and wish you hadn't my initial choice was biology physics chemistry and law I now want to do biology physics psychology and sociology. I basically want to know of anyone who has done this regretted their choice and why

Scroll to see replies

I did Biology A-Level and regretted every minute of it. I got an A at GCSE so thought 'yeah, I can do this' but it really wasn't my thing :/ The majority of it was plants so it was super boring, but yours might be different! I did OCR, do you know what exam board you will do?

I also did chemistry and found it really interesting, just a shame I sucked at it! :P
Reply 2
Picked Chemistry in September, dropped it by October. I just didn't click with it.
As for English Lang at AS... my god
Really regret not dropping English Literature after AS. Results day tomorrow :frown:
Reply 4
I did Biology (OCR), and although it's hard, I don't regret taking it. I just wish someone had told me how much chemistry was involved. I would have much preferred it if there was less plant Biology and more human, but that's just my preference :smile:

You said you now wanted to take Psychology. I took it (AQA) and hated every minute of it. I've never come across a more boring subject. Every topic is so repetitive and you're expected to remember details about dozens of studies. When I say details, I mean research method, number of participants, dates, exact percentages for results, etc. It was just horrific and I'm not expecting a decent result from it tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I slightly regret dropping further maths after 2 weeks. A friend of mine was certainly partially to blame as he was adamant that I shouldn't sign up to the exact same subjects as him (he pretty much deemed me as unworthy/incapable of doing further maths, admittedly I was quite lazy in the year 11 maths class I had with him compared to his, and the other further mathematicians-to-be efforts, but I did the job and got the required A). I was foolish enough to listen to him. I overestimated the difficulty, and overreacted to the quite bad timetabling of further maths in our first year.

I picked up biology and did rather well (stupidly dropped it after AS). I wish I did further maths as it would've made my core maths (especially A2 where it started to get hard) easier and it would've prepared me a tad better for my upcoming chemistry degree

*edit* The biggest confirmation that I was up to the task of further maths AS was that (once I had invested enough effort into it) I could manage the majority of A2 Maths, which is arguably slightly harder than AS further maths. I made the mistake of interpreting "further" as "harder" rather than "extra stuff"
(edited 10 years ago)
I did Maths AS with Edexcel and regretted every minute of it. I got an A* for GCSE but I wasn't ready for the jump to AS. Worried about results tomorrow because I know I did badly and I wasted time revising loads for Maths when I could have been revising for other subjects!
i regret doing further maths really badly, it was way tooooo challenging for me and defo affected my other subjects performances....
Original post by KC003
I did Biology (OCR), and although it's hard, I don't regret taking it. I just wish someone had told me how much chemistry was involved. I would have much preferred it if there was less plant Biology and more human, but that's just my preference :smile:

You said you now wanted to take Psychology. I took it (AQA) and hated every minute of it. I've never come across a more boring subject. Every topic is so repetitive and you're expected to remember details about dozens of studies. When I say details, I mean research method, number of participants, dates, exact percentages for results, etc. It was just horrific and I'm not expecting a decent result from it tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few of my friends did AQA Pshych and they found it impossible! Some are retaking the first AS for the fourth time!

I guess if you have to knack for it it'll be okay. The chemistry side of bio was the only thing I liked about it. We had to do the ecology topic as a self study and it was awful. Spent most of the time counting clovers on the school field -_-
I regret taking Sociology at AS. I took it because it fitted in well with my options, and I had heard nothing but praise of the subject from GCSE students. Personally, I do not find it nearly as exciting as OCR Biology, which is much more challenging. Chemistry will be much more helpful to you if you want to go into a scientific field. Also, some traditional universities regard Sociology as a "soft" option, so that may be something to consider.
Reply 10
I took chemistry, biology, maths and psychology - loved psychology, hated the rest.
and when I hate something, I get crap results in it, so basically those 3 subjects ruined my life.
Reply 11
Original post by eliza.middleton
I did Biology A-Level and regretted every minute of it. I got an A at GCSE so thought 'yeah, I can do this' but it really wasn't my thing :/ The majority of it was plants so it was super boring, but yours might be different! I did OCR

Exactly what happened with me, but with Chemistry as well :frown:
I regret taking biology A level it is disgusting
Reply 13
my sixth form allowed people to change their a level choice within one month. But physics I regret it so much.
http://samworldofview.wordpress.com/ check out a results day
blog
one thing i will say is that i picked some of the harder a levels (maths, physics, history, economics) in the mistaken belief that unis would judge the difficulty of the course..

this really isn't the case, and i wish i'd done easier ones to get higher grades. still, it's not the be all and end all if you make a mistake like this at a level- there are 2nd and 3rd chances, and in terms of career ambitions i'm still on the same track as if i'd gotten AAA.
Reply 16
Do Design and Technology, they said, it'll be easy, they said -_-. At least I'm dropping it for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did geography, biology, physics and english lit and regretted physics and english lit haha, they're so bad
If it helps I do Law (WJEC) and it's brilliant. I also have friends who do Biology, Physics, generally they love Biology but hate Physics, I can't really give much more advice on those two other than that as I don't do them myself. If there's someone at the college you can speak to about your options when you have your GCSE results I'd recommend that :smile:.
Reply 19
I regret doing physics. I did well in GCSE and I thought that as I was taking maths, chem and bio there'd be a significant overlap between the subjects. All too soon I found this to be untrue, and any overlap served to confuse me more than anything else, e.g. in physics calculations we have to write answers in standard form, which if I did in chemistry would lose me marks. I still had to endure physics teachers expecting that every topic should have been "already covered" in maths and chemistry when that wasn't the case. Every exam board has its own examination style and answers have to be very precise so we can't use information learnt from other subjects. In addition, the Physics, Chemistry and Biology module exams were all within a day of each other.

Quick Reply

Latest