The Student Room Group

Think I messed up bigtime...

First post here, hi.

So year 12 (AS year) has just been a horrible blur for me.
I got okay GCSEs but didn't quite get as well as I hoped, which I thought would motivate me to work, but all the freedom of Sixth form left me lazy, and I hardly did any work all year.
I think I messed up with my AS's big time and am not expecting good results.
I go to a private school, if you do poorly in AS they kick you out. I think that might apply to me.
What should I do and how would I look for new places to study? should I continue A2 year elsewhere or start again from AS?
I feel I have the brain to do okay, but I've just been so lazy, it wasnt until looking at unis AFTER I did my exams that I started to realise wow this is amazing and I want to work.
If only I had done so before :frown:
Reply 1
If you fail loads of the exams and not one or two it's worth your while restarting Year 12, and somewhere else for a completely fresh start. If its one or two modules and you think you could cope retaking those next summer on top of your A2's then you won't have to retake the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound exactly like me! I did no work last year for the same reasons, and I didn't do as well as I'd like to in my AS exams, but it was okay. I did a couple of retakes to get my grades up to something decent and that gave me confidence to get on will A2. You've probably done better than you expect :smile:

See what happens tomorrow, speak to your teachers about it and I'm sure they will let you stay :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by eliza.middleton
You sound exactly like me! I did no work last year for the same reasons, and I didn't do as well as I'd like to in my AS exams, but it was okay. I did a couple of retakes to get my grades up to something decent and that gave me confidence to get on will A2. You've probably done better than you expect :smile:

See what happens tomorrow, speak to your teachers about it and I'm sure they will let you stay :smile: Good luck!

Sure hope so, heard rumours that you have to do 'interviews' and things in order to stay... :/ I take it you did your retakes in January?
I did, I did one in each subject just to boost them all up by one grade :smile:

You have interviews at your school? That's quite a good idea, that way you could show them that you really want to try harder this year :biggrin:

What are you planning on studying or don't you know?
this is what kinda happened to me, except the fact that i wasnt lazy but focused on other things in life and not education
Reply 6
I did, I did one in each subject just to boost them all up by one grade :smile:

You have interviews at your school? That's quite a good idea, that way you could show them that you really want to try harder this year :biggrin:

What are you planning on studying or don't you know?

Well that's the other thing... Law... which you need pretty good grades to be considered into the 'top' uni's so I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment. Been feeling so down about it all summer I haven't even started preparing for my applicaiotn incase I don't get accepted :/
The great thing about Law is there are so many ways to get into it, most unis prefer it if you don do an A level in it. I'm doing Philosophy at uni and I can get into Law by doing a foundation degree in it as a post-grad study so maybe you should look into different ways of getting there. Like I said earlier, if you're worried, talk to your teachers, they're kind of useful sometimes :P They will be able to help you with this and set you on the right path :smile:
Reply 8
The great thing about Law is there are so many ways to get into it, most unis prefer it if you don do an A level in it. I'm doing Philosophy at uni and I can get into Law by doing a foundation degree in it as a post-grad study so maybe you should look into different ways of getting there. Like I said earlier, if you're worried, talk to your teachers, they're kind of useful sometimes :P They will be able to help you with this and set you on the right path :smile:

Thanks, kinda embarrased about them knowing how bad the grades will be!
Don't worry about it! I had to apply to uni before I did my retakes so they saw my awful grades (BCDDU (the U was General so it doesn't count xD)) and I still got 4 out of 5 offers :smile: (Reading rejected me but I'm not bitter about that xD)

If you work really hard on your personal statement and really show who you are through it, you'll shine :biggrin:
Reply 10
Don't worry about it! I had to apply to uni before I did my retakes so they saw my awful grades (BCDDU (the U was General so it doesn't count xD)) and I still got 4 out of 5 offers :smile: (Reading rejected me but I'm not bitter about that xD)

If you work really hard on your personal statement and really show who you are through it, you'll shine :biggrin:

Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 11
Also really appreciate if anyone else has some advice to give!
Well if you can do retakes, what's the problem? I don't think I'll do good in the slightest, but then again, it was really hard for me to go onto AS when I breezed so easily through GCSE.
And this year, well, I can see it as a test run!
At the end of the day, retaking the year = MUCH less stressful, allows more time to think about the future etc.

Even if you do get good grades (good luck by the way) you can just retake the few modules you wanna' do better in.

It's not the end of the world ;D

And to be honest, maybe it's not the worst thing ever if they kick you out. You'll become much more independent, hence, ace A levels B)

You'll be fine, don't worry bud :smile:
Reply 13
Right well got BCCU.... Was actually expecting worse. Where should I go from here?
Reply 14
Original post by GreenNinja
Right well got BCCU.... Was actually expecting worse. Where should I go from here?

First question is, what grades do you want/need for the unis you're interested in? And was the U in a subject you want to continue? If it isn't you could drop it and focus on the other three!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Paralove
First question is, what grades do you want/need for the unis you're interested in? And was the U in a subject you want to continue? If it isn't you could drop it and focus on the other three!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, my school said they won't let me continue a U grade subject, but I would have dropped it. Ideally I would need AAB with the other three. Ive just been looking now and I was only 4 UMS of an C in one of my history modules which could have potentailly bumped up my grade.
Original post by GreenNinja
Thanks, my school said they won't let me continue a U grade subject, but I would have dropped it. Ideally I would need AAB with the other three. Ive just been looking now and I was only 4 UMS of an C in one of my history modules which could have potentailly bumped up my grade.

If I were you I'd get that paper remarked, it won't affect your grade if you go down but it could go up a few marks and bump your whole grade up :smile:
Reply 17
If I were you I'd get that paper remarked, it won't affect your grade if you go down but it could go up a few marks and bump your whole grade up :smile:

Thanks decided I'm definietly going to get it done!

Quick Reply

Latest