The Student Room Group

Not meeting required grades but still asking for a place?

Say you miss your offer by like a couple of marks, it can't hurt to call and ask if you will still be taken right? But who do you call and what exactly are you supposed to say :s-smilie: ? "I missed my offer but erm, could I have a place please? :L " ?
Reply 1
I missed my conditions for course at one uni and I called their clearing line and they took my details so they got an overview of all my grades/personal statement and told me there and then. Just phone up and tell them your situation and they will take it from there.
universities don't just automatically reject everyone who misses their offers. They look at each set of results individually and then decide whether or not you should get a place despite missing your offer. If you miss your offer and get rejected by your university of choice then the university admission staff have already decided that you do not warrant a place. Calling and begging isn't going to do anything.

By calling all you're doing is blocking the line for people who really need it (i.e. people in clearing)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm wondering this too :/
Reply 4
It's impossible for me to get onto other courses which are in clearing because they require same points as my conditional :frown:
Original post by michaelhaych
universities don't just automatically reject everyone who misses their offers. They look at each set of results individually and then decide whether or not you should get a place despite missing your offer. If you miss your offer and get rejected by your university of choice then the university admission staff have already decided that you do not warrant a place. Calling and begging isn't going to do anything.

By calling all you're doing is blocking the line for people who really need it (i.e. people in clearing)

This is the case.
Reply 6
Original post by h4mza
It's impossible for me to get onto other courses which are in clearing because they require same points as my conditional :frown:

There will be a greater variety of courses available tomorrow, just keep checking and try to be flexible. I applied to Psychology but missed my conditions but I have been short listed for an interview for Nursing! Just try and keep your options open.
Reply 7
Original post by michaelhaych

So you're saying universities know individual exam marks? So they will reject people knowing they missed their offer by a couple of marks?...I have read stories before here on TSR where people have called and gotten in...
Reply 8
Original post by TheGuy117
So you're saying universities know individual exam marks? So they will reject people knowing they missed their offer by a couple of marks?...I have read stories before here on TSR where people have called and gotten in...

where the university has still been undecided on results day yes. quite often though they have already decided and updated track to unsuccessful or unconditional depending on how many places they have.

No, they don't get individual marks. People who have called and got in will have had conditional still on their Track, which means that the university is still undecided. Calling at that point with high exam marks may swing it for you. If it already says unsuccessful, it means they've already given you the benefit of all the doubt they can and have decided not to take you, so it's game over at that point.
Reply 10
If my course is in clearing does that give me a good sign? they have also lowered their requirement from ABB to 300ucas points which is BBB

this is to study accounting and finance at kent

If you miss your offer by one grade, it is very likely the university will accept you anyway, or else leave the offer as conditional/undecided on track. If the course is full, or you missed an ABB grade, it may be they cannot accept any more students and simply have no places for you. In this case, they will reject, knowing you may have missed by a couple of marks. It's not personal. In these situations it is usually a question of facing a fine or a logistical problem with too many students.

The only reason to ring them if the offer says unsuccessful is if you are going to get a priority remark on your paper.

Original post by lexia_15
If my course is in clearing does that give me a good sign? they have also lowered their requirement from ABB to 300ucas points which is BBB

this is to study accounting and finance at kent

It doesn't mean anything. It might mean they will let you in if you missed your offer by a small amount. It might mean lots of people have missed their offers by a large amount and been rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending