The Student Room Group

Applying for clearing without any previous application?

Hi guys.

I'm 21 and have been in full time employment for most of the time since I left college.

I have been thinking about going to Uni to study Computer Science and think that I have good enough grades/qualifications to get in.

I did start a UCAS application, but never got round to finishing it. Not expecting any sympathy there, I just didn't want to rush into a decision.

Anyway... I was thinking of applying through clearing. Do I need to do anything on UCAS? Can I just call them up and go from there? I'm seeing some conflicting information so I would really appreciate some help. Thanks
Reply 1
I'm not an expert on the matter at all, but from what I have read you need to have a UCAS ID and a clearing number to speak to a university about entering through clearing, both of which I imagine you would only have if having gone through the whole application process. Again, I am not totally sure about this, so I hope someone who is can help you more!
Original post by *Sierra*
I'm not an expert on the matter at all, but from what I have read you need to have a UCAS ID and a clearing number to speak to a university about entering through clearing, both of which I imagine you would only have if having gone through the whole application process. Again, I am not totally sure about this, so I hope someone who is can help you more!

Accurate to a tee. :smile:

There is Record of Prior Acceptance, which is a direct application to a university, but you'd need to contact the university and ask them about that as an option.
Reply 3
Alright thanks guys.

I don't know how much luck I'll have with a Record of Prior Acceptance, but thanks for the information I do appreciate it.

If that is not going to work, is it even still possible to apply through UCAS? I mean.. just so that they have an ID and clearing number?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LuxWFC
Alright thanks guys.

I don't know how much luck I'll have with a Record of Prior Acceptance, but thanks for the information I do appreciate it.

If that is not going to work, is it even still possible to apply through UCAS? I mean.. just so that they have an ID and clearing number?

Yes. At this stage you'd probably have to go without a reference (unless you can get someone to write you one very quickly, so you can submit the application as soon as possible) so you'd need to contact the universities you're interested in to make sure they're ok with this ... but yes, you can still submit a UCAS application.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
Yes. At this stage you'd probably have to go without a reference (unless you can get someone to write you one very quickly, so you can submit the application as soon as possible) so you'd need to contact the universities you're interested in to make sure they're ok with this ... but yes, you can still submit a UCAS application.

Luckily when I did start applying earlier, I got a reference sorted out first thing.

I guess I'll be up for a while drafting a personal statement haha!

Anyway, thank you very much I appreciate your insight. Otherwise I would've called up uni's tomorrow morning without the foggiest.
Original post by LuxWFC
Luckily when I did start applying earlier, I got a reference sorted out first thing.

I guess I'll be up for a while drafting a personal statement haha!

Anyway, thank you very much I appreciate your insight. Otherwise I would've called up uni's tomorrow morning without the foggiest.

That is fortuitous.

You're welcome. Good luck with your PS writing, and Clearing tomorrow. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending