The Student Room Group

"Second" class Universities

Hi guys :smile: I'm from Greece and I will be entering last year of senior high school this year. I want to study abroad and specifically in Scotland. I've done my research about the universities in Scotland and I've realised that most of the people are vilifying unis like Stirling,Heriot watt,Edinburgh Napier. Why are the doing that? Is there any reason? Personally I want to study Biology.I want to hear your opinions on that unis or other suggestions. All opinions are welcome :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by georgexD
Hi guys :smile: I'm from Greece and I will be entering last year of senior high school this year. I want to study abroad and specifically in Scotland. I've done my research about the universities in Scotland and I've realised that most of the people are vilifying unis like Stirling,Heriot watt,Edinburgh Napier. Why are the doing that? Is there any reason? Personally I want to study Biology.I want to hear your opinions on that unis or other suggestions. All opinions are welcome :smile:

I'd imagine it's because they are newer universities which haven't been established as long as more traditional unis like Edinburgh & Aberdeen.
My boyfriend is going to Heriot Watt and I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh Napier this year, I personally disagree with the stigma that new universities are somehow inferior. I think some universities are definitely better renowned for some courses than others. I have a friend who is studying Biology at Edinburgh this year & she was really impressed with their facilities but equally liked what was offered at HW & Napier. Edinburgh is a great city and I think you'd enjoy studying at any of the unis, old or new! :smile:
They aren't intrinsically inferior - the insinuation that they are is because most are ex-polytechnics, very new, or offer more vocational courses, and this is sufficient for some people to trust them less than the older universities. They also tend to have lower entry requirements because of this.

It would be disingenuous to tell you that they are regarded in the same way. However unfair it is, if you want to go into an area like academia (and to a lesser extent general research), people will judge you on the name of your university, and a Russel group or equivalent university could make the difference between getting a job or not. I'll probably get negged for this, but with Biology I have to advise you to try to go for the highest regarded university you can, because to do anything else would be unfair.

Please understand I have nothing against these newer universities - my Dad lectures at one, and he does a good job, and he loves it. However, the harsh reality is that the name matters.
Reply 3
I feel exactly the same way...everyone is intimidating them but the subjects are the same and the courses equal just because they are new :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral
They aren't intrinsically inferior - the insinuation that they are is because most are ex-polytechnics, very new, or offer more vocational courses, and this is sufficient for some people to trust them less than the older universities. They also tend to have lower entry requirements because of this.

It would be disingenuous to tell you that they are regarded in the same way. However unfair it is, if you want to go into an area like academia (and to a lesser extent general research), people will judge you on the name of your university, and a Russel group or equivalent university could make the difference between getting a job or not. I'll probably get negged for this, but with Biology I have to advise you to try to go for the highest regarded university you can, because to do anything else would be unfair.

Please understand I have nothing against these newer universities - my Dad lectures at one, and he does a good job, and he loves it. However, the harsh reality is that the name matters.

As u said this is the harsh reality..unfortunately :/
Reply 5
I feel exactly the same way...everyone is intimidating them but the subjects are the same and the courses equal just because they are new :smile:

Just out of interest, are you coming to study in Scotland this year or for 2014? :smile:
Reply 6
I'm planning for next year (i have to finish my school first) xD
Reply 7
I'm planning for next year (i have to finish my school first) xD

That's cool! :smile: have you been to Scotland before?
Reply 8
Unfortunately nope..but i love scoltand :biggrin:
Reply 9
Unfortunately nope..but i love scoltand :biggrin:

The weather isn't brilliant here but it's a great place asides from that! :lol: are you coming with friends/family or moving independently?
Reply 10
Haha definitely the weather in Scotland is totally diffrent from here xD..I'm planning to come there with 2 friends of mine..but firstly we have to decide the university that we'll study !
Reply 11
Haha definitely the weather in Scotland is totally diffrent from here xD..I'm planning to come there with 2 friends of mine..but firstly we have to decide the university that we'll study !

Sounds like a blast! Well good luck, I'm sure you'll love it regardless of which uni you choose. :smile:
Reply 12
Thanx..!Good luck too :smile:
Reply 13
Whats wrong with Heriot watt?:angry: have people seen the entrence requirements for alot of the courses AAAB compare to edinburgh, glasgow AAAA. also heriot watt has been in higher education for over a hundred years est.1821.

Stirling is another good uni its grades are lower in part due to its location small city.
Reply 14
Original post by WeeGuy
Whats wrong with Heriot watt?:angry: have people seen the entrence requirements for alot of the courses AAAB compare to edinburgh, glasgow AAAA. also heriot watt has been in higher education for over a hundred years est.1821.

Stirling is another good uni its grades are lower in part due to its location small city.

Heriot Watt is awesome! :biggrin: wooo
Reply 15
also the idea that lower unis are all ex polys is false. Warwick was created in 1960s
Reply 16
Original post by hollysarah
Heriot Watt is awesome! :biggrin: wooo

yes it is:biggrin:

ps what will your bf be studying? i you dont mind
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Actuallly i don't have any specific problem with HW,but i'm reading a lot of ~annoying~ comments about the quality of study..Well stirling is another choice,but as u said the city is too small and maybe not so suitable for an 18 yo student(I suppose)because this plays a significant role too i think! :tongue:
Reply 18
also if youre going to do a masters/phd it matters less so imo. also some business like how the newer unis also apply the subject to the real world rather as a concept.
Reply 19
Original post by WeeGuy
yes it is:biggrin:

ps what will your bf be studying? i you dont mind

He's studying Engineering Physics and going straight to second year. I love HW's website and how quickly they respond to emails & calls, very friendly! What are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest