The Student Room Group

The "I want rent" bombshell

Good evening folks!

I have just gotten home from working abroad and am due to start uni next month. I'm attending Plymouth and as it's only 20 mins down the road I figured staying at home would be the wiser decision. I sent off my application for student finance stating I would be living with my mum, which obviously reduced the maintenance grant significantly (understandably).

Now I won't be working through out term time, and in the past I've paid £200 a month to my mother when working full time. Am I right to think it's unreasonable for her suddenly to ask for this same amount from me when I'm studying? Especially since the grant has been reduced on the basis (I assume) that student finance believe I'm living rent free?

If this is the case, what's my next move? (No pun intended!) Will living in student accommodation be more beneficial if she won't budge on the rent?

Many thanks!

X

p.s. hope everyone got the results they were hoping for! :smile:
Reply 1
Yes, she's your mother haha she shouldn't be charging you when she knows you're not earning!!! :confused:
Reply 2
Walk her through your finances and then ask how you are supposed to pay rent.
Reply 3
Not unreasonable no. My brother also pays £200 pm from living at home whilst studying. Of course that's because his reduced grant and loan still allowed it otherwise she wouldn't have asked. Are you expecting to earn more than £2400 per year through it? You have to remember all the concessions she used to get from having a child under 18 are now gone.
Reply 4
Original post by coley90210
Good evening folks!

I have just gotten home from working abroad and am due to start uni next month. I'm attending Plymouth and as it's only 20 mins down the road I figured staying at home would be the wiser decision. I sent off my application for student finance stating I would be living with my mum, which obviously reduced the maintenance grant significantly (understandably).

Now I won't be working through out term time, and in the past I've paid £200 a month to my mother when working full time. Am I right to think it's unreasonable for her suddenly to ask for this same amount from me when I'm studying? Especially since the grant has been reduced on the basis (I assume) that student finance believe I'm living rent free?

If this is the case, what's my next move? (No pun intended!) Will living in student accommodation be more beneficial if she won't budge on the rent?

Many thanks!

X

When you calculate it you'll probably still be better off.

The maximum maintenance loan is reduced (from living at home) by £1125/year, i.e. £93.75 a month.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants

Your rent is £200 a month, so, by the above, to be better off living away your private rent would have to be £293.75 a month (i.e. £73 a week) or less. Plus I'm presuming that rent to your mum will include all food and bills; it might even include other support, such as giving you lifts places or buying you the occasional treat - obviously that depends on your mum though!

Really, you should check with your mum that she is happy for you to live rent free before applying for it all. Having said that I can very much sympathise with you in making that assumption. Plus your income may be much less next year, so any rent you pay needs to be realistic considering other costs you have.

If you think you will really struggle to afford rent (or at least that much rent) then sit down with your mum and have a chat. Explain that you get less because you're at home because the government (right or not) expects you to get a lot of parental support. And maybe show your mum a budget for a typical month worked out, to prove to her that you are considering how your money will be used and how to use it sensibly.

xxx
Reply 5
Good evening folks!

How long have you been working full-time? I ask because if it is for 3 years or more then you can asked to be assessed as an independent student which would then not take into account any income that isn't your own (the lower limit for each prior year to your course being around 7000 to 8000). Even though you are living with parents, student finance would assess it as if you were living away from parental home. Not sure if it applies to your situation but thought I would mention it just in case.
Reply 6
Good evening folks!

Many thanks!

X

Personally I think it is ridiculous as you wont cost her £200 a month to have you. Bills won't be significantly more with one extra person around so the only significant cost would be food for you and that wouldn't be £200.
Reply 7

Now I won't be working through out term time, and in the past I've paid £200 a month to my mother when working full time.

Is she feeding you - if so of course you should be paying

How much does a catered hall cost
WHat do you lose in finance by living at home

Subtract one from the other and give it to your Mum
Original post by TenOfThem
Is she feeding you - if so of course you should be paying

How much does a catered hall cost
WHat do you lose in finance by living at home

Subtract one from the other and give it to your Mum

O_o my parents personally wouldn't charge me rent to live at home in a situation like that... no way. I can understand if she couldn't afford it otherwise then fair enough but otherwise it seems pretty harsh :/ .
Reply 9
Original post by extermin8or
O_o my parents personally wouldn't charge me rent to live at home in a situation like that... no way. I can understand if she couldn't afford it otherwise then fair enough but otherwise it seems pretty harsh :/ .

And I would not charge my children - in fact with my kids at uni it is quite the opposite

But I can afford to do so

We do not know his Mum's circumstances - I think £50 a week is a lot - too much - but she may need some money to feed the op
Original post by TenOfThem
And I would not charge my children - in fact with my kids at uni it is quite the opposite

But I can afford to do so

We do not know his Mum's circumstances - I think £50 a week is a lot - too much - but she may need some money to feed the op

I said if its because she cant afford yo not charge then fair enough but if she's just charging... I dontnknow out of principle or something then its abit harsh ofc only OP can really tell us why. Although the fact she's made a forum thread about it and hopes her mother will budge implies she could not charge and still be ok? Doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
She can do whatever she wants.

I would suggest talking to her about it. If she still wants the rent & you can't afford it, your only option is to move out.
Reply 12
Good evening folks!

Many thanks!

X

I would say that was unreasonable. To charge rent when your kid isn't earning - causing them to have to take out loans to pay you is not good parenting.

The only reason I think it's sensible is if you're kid clearly is just leeching off you and won't get a job - enjoying a rent-free lifestyle.

Going to uni does NOT fall anywhere near this category, so yeah... she's a parent, most parents expect to have to support their kids through uni.

Add on to the fact that you have a reduced grant/load because of her not charging you rent, that's even more stupid. I would use this as a main argument against her - basically say "Well, I made the sensible assumption that you would at least vaguely support my education (maybe less aggressive) as does the government, so I have less grant. If you wish me to pay rent, I will re-consider my loan application. Please do not charge me until I can arange them to pay me the full loan."

At which point, I'd move out anyway. What's the point in paying your parents £200, when you could live in your own house for similar? It's not worth it at all.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending