The Student Room Group

Photoelectric emission question

In a demonstration, ultraviolet light is incident on a zing plate and electrons are emitted.
The intensity of the ultraviolet light is increased.
Explain the following observations:
- the number of electrons emitted per second increases
- the maximum kinetic energy of an electron does not change
My answer so far:
Because more photons are being emitted per second, thus higher probability of energy of the photon being transferred to a single electron.
How do I prove that the maximum energy of an electron does not change?
I know I have to use hf=Φ+12mv2hf = \Phi+\frac{1}{2}mv^2 and Φ\Phi is a constant which is specific to the metal and the electrons mass doesn't change.
Reply 1
Constant frequency, constant max.K.E energy.
The first answer is correct.
Reply 2
Original post by Dynamo123
Constant frequency, constant max.K.E energy.
The first answer is correct.

Does that mean that 12mv2\frac{1}{2}mv^2 remains constant for any given work function (Φ\Phi). Φ\Phi is the only thing that can change in that equation, right? Along with vv?
Reply 3
The energy is affected by the work function (which is constant for a given piece of metal), but, more importantly, the frequency of the light. (hf and all that). If you're calculating the KE, you don't need to worry about the velocity of the particles...(as it's directly proportional to the KE you've just found).
Reply 4
Original post by halpme
Does that mean that 12mv2\frac{1}{2}mv^2 remains constant for any given work function (Φ\Phi). Φ\Phi is the only thing that can change in that equation, right? Along with vv?

Φ\Phi depends on the material, so zinc has certain work function while another material would have a different work function, but it's constant as only zinc's used.

This is what I'd say

One photon releases one electron.
Increasing intensity only increases the number of electrons emitted per second, not the light frequency.
By hf=Φ+12mv2hf=\Phi + \frac{1}{2} mv^2
Frequency affects the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons, but intensity doesn't.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest