The Student Room Group

Opinions on tax?

Do you think the system we have here in the UK is good / bad, fair / unfair? Which country do you think has it best? What would your ideal system be?

I recently found out that Russia have a flat rate of 13% and am now half-seriously considering moving.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tax goes up, yet the quality of the services at both a local and national level goes down. I don't mind paying tax, but at the moment it feels like I'm not getting what I've paid for.
Reply 2
I have absolutely no issues at all with paying back what I've taken out in education, healthcare, social care, welfare etc growing up, and what I'll use going forward and when I'm old... Standard if living in Russia is far lower... However, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like the fact that we're put at a further remove from the use of our money, and we have no means of objection to the bill.

In a lot of areas I think it would be better to privatise and for the Government to instigate a coupon system whereby it issues each citizen with a coupon for use on education, healthcare etc. That way, we increase competition and keep our public services expenditure down without trampling all over the less well-off.
Reply 4
Original post by euphful
However, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Well, that was uncalled for.
Reply 5
Original post by AT06
Tax goes up, yet the quality of the services at both a local and national level goes down. I don't mind paying tax, but at the moment it feels like I'm not getting what I've paid for.

My thoughts exactly.
Taxation is morally no different to theft, in my view.
Reply 7
What tax in particular? Corporation Tax, VAT, Income Tax, National Insurance, Road Tax, etc?

Some taxes are fairer than others.
Reply 8
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
What tax in particular? Corporation Tax, VAT, Income Tax, National Insurance, Road Tax, etc?

Income tax, sorry should have specified.
Reply 9
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Taxation is morally no different to theft, in my view.

You are my soulmate.
Reply 10
I think our current tax system should be rated between average and good (6/10).

There are still far too many taxes and many in need of reform but it could be far worse, We do however spend far too much and further spending cuts should and could be made in certain areas.

Personally i have 5 ideal states that i we should learn the lessons from...

1) Norway - Massive sovereign wealth fund, large fiscal surplus and generally prudent investments

2) California - Cutting edge of research and innovation

3) New York - Finance

4) Netherlands - Massive export focus (something like 70% GDP - 3 times smaller economy yet exports more than the UK)

5) Hong Kong/Singapore - World class private provision with extremely low tax rates
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
x

Is that Benedict Cumberbatch in your picture?!

Marry me.
Reply 12
Hate tax, how can you tax someone 50% of their earning when they earn over a 100k or something.

Hopefully I can get a top job in Monaco one day :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by yaboy
Hate tax, how can you tax someone 50% of their earning when they earn over a 100k or something.

Hopefully I can get a top job in Monaco one day :biggrin:

Yes, getting by on a measly £50k a year after tax is just inconceivable...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by BarackObama
Do you think the system we have here in the UK is good / bad, fair / unfair? Which country do you think has it best? What would your ideal system be?

I recently found out that Russia have a flat rate of 13% and am now half-seriously considering moving.

Russia's businesses are heavily taxed, so the actual salary an employee receives is around 46% lower than the base the business actually pays out.
Reply 15
Original post by euphful
Yes, getting by on a measly £50k a year after tax is just inconceivable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you imagine earning £50million and then having £25mill ripped away from you???
Original post by CEKTOP
Russia's businesses are heavily taxed, so the actual salary an employee receives is around 46% lower than the base the business actually pays out.

Incorrect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe
Original post by CEKTOP

Incorrect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe
Reply 18

Almost correct. My rates are a bit outdated. Most businesses pay the maximum threshold.
Reply 19
tax, we need taxation to pay for roads and stuuf

do you kno what i meN??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending