The Student Room Group

i got really bad as results help is needed :((

hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Retake the year? You don't need to quit college!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start the year again, work at it. You'll thank yourself in the end when you have a science related job. I'm going for Pharmacy, I would retake the whole year if I had to.
Original post by booklover96
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

Hi :smile:

You can retake your exams and bump your grades up. I know a couple of people who've gone from C's and D's to A's after retaking so it's certainly possible!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheCircuitWizard
Start the year again, work at it. You'll thank yourself in the end when you have a science related job. I'm going for Pharmacy, I would retake the whole year if I had to.

so start as year again at another college perhaps? don't unis look down on people who retake a year? :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Blackshadow

You can retake your exams and bump your grades up. I know a couple of people who've gone from C's and D's to A's after retaking so it's certainly possible!

thank you. the e in chemistry really disappointed me as most science based degrees want an A2 in chem
I got the exact same results last year and I resat two AS papers during A2, you'll be fine!
Reply 7
Original post by rawrr_charlotte
I got the exact same results last year and I resat two AS papers during A2, you'll be fine!

if you don't mind me asking what did you do? was the workload a lot?
Reply 8

I've known people to do that too. It's highly possible if you put the work in.
Reply 9
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I've known people to do that too. It's highly possible if you put the work in.

it's the E that i'm disheartened about as i have always wanted to do a science based degree so i honestly don't know what to do with chemistry.
thank you. the e in chemistry really disappointed me as most science based degrees want an A2 in chem

Make sure you put in that extra effort since you'll be managing your A2's (which are harder) along with your AS revision. Good luck!
Reply 11
Make sure you put in that extra effort since you'll be managing your A2's (which are harder) along with your AS revision. Good luck!

do you advice i drop chemistry and focus on my the subjects I got CCD in and bump them up? I noticed it was individual exams that brought my grade down significantly. Thanks I feel better.
I've gone from a C to an A after resitting in the A2 year so just think about it sensibly before doing anything drastic.
Reply 13
it's the E that i'm disheartened about as i have always wanted to do a science based degree so i honestly don't know what to do with chemistry.

My friend got an E in her January exams. She re-took and hopefully she did better this time. But you can resit and try really hard to bump up your grades. It is possible. There was a person in my year who was a re-take. He got Ds in Chemistry the previous year and so far has got straight As this year. You can do it. :smile:
Reply 14

I feel your pain. I had to repeat two times in school. But there is no shame in repeating the year, there really isn't! There are countless people on TSR who have got bad AS grades, repeated AS then finally finished with really good A-levels.
Take a deep breath, eat some sugar and repeat the year. There's no reason you can't repeat and still get into any university you like! :smile:
It's always really disappointing to not get the results you wanted, but there are several things I tell myself. (Trust me, I get bad results a lot :L).

1) They are, at the end of the day, only results for education. We're told from a very young age that education is the only way to success, but that's a lie! :biggrin:. My sisters boyfriend for example, is currently doing an apprenticeship for an engineering company. That's always something to think about.

2) You can re-take the year. It sounds ****ty because you'll be a year above everyone, but that might make you focus more. I'm not saying you didn't focus, but the jump up from GCSE to A level is a huge shock for 90% of people. You can't really **** around, so being a year above people could actually work out to be a positive thing (just think how good it will be next year, if you do this, to open your results and see all A's/A*s :biggrin:)

3) There are worse things in life. I'm about to go get my A2 results, knowing full well that I've completely failed. But I just keep telling myself that worst things can happen! It puts the whole A level thing into perspective.

I hope you're feeling better, and please do remember that A levels/education in general are not the only way to achieve success. I have another friend, for example, who finished last year with AAAB in her AS's but dropped out at A2. She now has an apprenticeship with a solicitors firm, earns 10k a year at 18 and after 4 years, she will be qualified for a job that will earn around 30k or 40k a year! So please don't stress too much about education! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
My friend got an E in her January exams. She re-took and hopefully she did better this time. But you can resit and try really hard to bump up your grades. It is possible. There was a person in my year who was a re-take. He got Ds in Chemistry the previous year and so far has got straight As this year. You can do it. :smile:

im thinking of retaking a couple of exams and dropping chem as i got an e in it and look at foundation courses for science degrees. i need to think about it but thanks im feeling better
Reply 17
Original post by MichaelB6
It's always really disappointing to not get the results you wanted, but there are several things I tell myself. (Trust me, I get bad results a lot :L).

1) They are, at the end of the day, only results for education. We're told from a very young age that education is the only way to success, but that's a lie! :biggrin:. My sisters boyfriend for example, is currently doing an apprenticeship for an engineering company. That's always something to think about.

2) You can re-take the year. It sounds ****ty because you'll be a year above everyone, but that might make you focus more. I'm not saying you didn't focus, but the jump up from GCSE to A level is a huge shock for 90% of people. You can't really **** around, so being a year above people could actually work out to be a positive thing (just think how good it will be next year, if you do this, to open your results and see all A's/A*s :biggrin:)

3) There are worse things in life. I'm about to go get my A2 results, knowing full well that I've completely failed. But I just keep telling myself that worst things can happen! It puts the whole A level thing into perspective.

I hope you're feeling better, and please do remember that A levels/education in general are not the only way to achieve success. I have another friend, for example, who finished last year with AAAB in her AS's but dropped out at A2. She now has an apprenticeship with a solicitors firm, earns 10k a year at 18 and after 4 years, she will be qualified for a job that will earn around 30k or 40k a year! So please don't stress too much about education! :smile:

thank you so much for the lengthy reply. i really hope you get good a level results and thanks! I'll look at further options. Good luck!:smile:
Reply 18
im thinking of retaking a couple of exams and dropping chem as i got an e in it and look at foundation courses for science degrees. i need to think about it but thanks im feeling better

You could easily do that. Or pursue open uni degrees for a first degree since you don't need particular A levels to do them or good grades. Either way there will be plenty of opportunities for you out there :smile:.
Reply 19
Original post by taintedCH
I feel your pain. I had to repeat two times in school. But there is no shame in repeating the year, there really isn't! There are countless people on TSR who have got bad AS grades, repeated AS then finally finished with really good A-levels.
Take a deep breath, eat some sugar and repeat the year. There's no reason you can't repeat and still get into any university you like! :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile: I hope everything worked out for you in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest