The Student Room Group

Changing Course

I have a Unconditional offer (firmly accepted). (I did this ages ago)
My course has come up at another uni through clearing, can I apply to this one?
Have you got higher grades than the course requirement? You could try Adjustment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rockrunride
Have you got higher grades than the course requirement? You could try Adjustment.

Well, I already have my results (gap year) and accepted the uni earlier this year. My results match the uni.
Original post by jilebinator

Was it an unconditional offer in the first place or has it updated today? If the former, you can't use Adjustment, so you'd have to be released from your place to use Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Was it an unconditional offer in the first place or has it updated today? If the former, you can't use Adjustment, so you'd have to be released from your place to use Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unconditonal in the first place.

So i can still go into clearing?
Reply 5

If you haven't exceed your offer then you are not eligible for Adjustment.

Therefore you would have to go through Clearing. This means you need to ask your firm to release you into Clearing. Unfortunately this can take some time and you lose you place. There's a risk you won't get a place in Clearing as well.
Unconditonal in the first place.

So i can still go into clearing?

Yes, but as Zottula said, its risky. You could end up with no place anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I already have my results (gap year) and accepted the uni earlier this year. My results match the uni.

So you can't use adjustment as you need to exceed your offer (ie if your offer's BBC and you get BBB), but you can indeed use clearing. You'll obviously need to ring up and get yourself released. Do so quickly though as places go quickly.

Good luck mate :biggrin:
Reply 8
Could I just phone up some unis and apply and when I get an offer then reject my UC.
Reply 9
Could I just phone up some unis and apply and when I get an offer then reject my UC.

They should not talk to you without a clearing number
Reply 10

You need to be released into Clearing first so that you can get your Clearing number. You need this to be able to call universities about Clearing places. Unfortunately being released can take a while, sometimes as much as a few days,

You can contact them informally without a clearing number, but the university won't be able to confirm anything,
(edited 10 years ago)
I had an unconditional for my firm on results day, but decided I wanted to go somewhere else and do a different course. What I'd do first is call up the uni where you want to go, and ask if they'll accept you. If they say yes, then you call up your firmed uni, and ask them to release you. This could take some time or it could be done quickly, but if you can get it done, once you're released you put the clearing uni in as your clearing choice and just wait for them to accept you :smile:
Original post by Zottula
You need to be released into Clearing first so that you can get your Clearing number. You need this to be able to call universities about Clearing places. Unfortunately being released can take a while, sometimes as much as a few days,

I called the uni I wanted to change to first :dontknow: they didn't ask me for a clearing number, I just wasn't sure who to call first. I called my clearing uni and they told me they had space for me and that I just had to be released and make a clearing choice. Might vary from uni to uni though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by madders94
I called the uni I wanted to change to first :dontknow: they didn't ask me for a clearing number, I just wasn't sure who to call first. I called my clearing uni and they told me they had space for me and that I just had to be released and make a clearing choice. Might vary from uni to uni though.

Yes you can approach universities informally this way, but they won't be able to confirm anything without the number as they need this to view the application.
Original post by Zottula
Yes you can approach universities informally this way, but they won't be able to confirm anything without the number as they need this to view the application.

Ahh, for me they just asked me about my results over the phone :smile: probably best to get released first then OP! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending