The Student Room Group

i got really bad as results help is needed :((

Scroll to see replies

Original post by booklover96
so start as year again at another college perhaps? don't unis look down on people who retake a year? :frown:

Why would they look down on someone who got a result they weren't pleased with and then re-took, worked hard and gained the result they really wanted?

Nobody would look down on you for giving it a second shot.

You won't always do everything 100% the first time round and that's life.

Stick at it, work for what you want and then this time next year this could be an entirely different thread!

Good luck.
Reply 21
so start as year again at another college perhaps? don't unis look down on people who retake a year? :frown:

I resat a year and it didn't turn out completely okay for me. Just spent the last two years bumping my grades up to a decent standard - So I've affectively gone back three years but it hasn't stopped me getting a uni place today! ^_^

Some universities will admire your perseverance.
Reply 22
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
You could easily do that. Or pursue open uni degrees for a first degree since you don't need particular A levels to do them or good grades. Either way there will be plenty of opportunities for you out there :smile:.

I'll look in to that as well. I only need to retake two exams to bump my one f my c and d grades into As as in both of the subjects it was one exam which let me down. I'll research more and thanks so much btw. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Vikki1805
Why would they look down on someone who got a result they weren't pleased with and then re-took, worked hard and gained the result they really wanted?

Nobody would look down on you for giving it a second shot.

You won't always do everything 100% the first time round and that's life.

Stick at it, work for what you want and then this time next year this could be an entirely different thread!

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I'll think about it
Reply 24
Original post by Deyesy
I resat a year and it didn't turn out completely okay for me. Just spent the last two years bumping my grades up to a decent standard - So I've affectively gone back three years but it hasn't stopped me getting a uni place today! ^_^

Some universities will admire your perseverance.

Congrats on the uni place! And thank you so much I think I'll restart at another college and work hard from day one.
Reply 25
Hi I got exactly the same as results as you after being predicted a's and b's. I chose to carry on and instead retake pretty much all of my as' whilst doing my a2's and ended up with abc. I then took a gap year, working at an engineering company and am now off to study mechanical engineering at cardiff this September- don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've known people to do that too. It's highly possible if you put the work in.

But what about Uni applications?
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

Hey!
First of all, I got a few C's in my AS levels too and now I ended up getting A*'s so there is nothing like if you don't do well in your AS, you won't do well in your A2.
You can't give up! You should consider re-taking those units to boost your A2 grades. Granted you'll need to spare an extra year but one year is a short time for the life ahead of you. You had rather re-take the modules, boost your AS results, do your A2s and get into a great university.
Best of luck :smile:
Reply 28

I effectively did an extra year and got more offers from better unis on my second application! Now im going to Lancaster but also had an unconditional from York.

Success isnt defined by the victory, its the struggle to get there that is important...

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Retake the year/change subjects. In my first year I got ADDU, so I changed the DDU subjects to ones I thought I'd be better at (form sciences to humanities) and I'm doing pretty good now
Reply 30
Original post by 3DDY
I effectively did an extra year and got more offers from better unis on my second application! Now im going to Lancaster but also had an unconditional from York.

Success isnt defined by the victory, its the struggle to get there that is important...

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! I have decided I am going to retake year 12 again and get good AS grades and move on to A2s as this way ensures I will get into the degree I want to do and I don't have to compromise it. I want to do biochem and with an E in chem that looks unlikely so restarting the year is the best option for me right now. Thanks and I'll keep y'all posted.
Reply 31
Original post by glendale123
Retake the year/change subjects. In my first year I got ADDU, so I changed the DDU subjects to ones I thought I'd be better at (form sciences to humanities) and I'm doing pretty good now

I'm going to try again I honestly believe it was due to lack of revision and exam technique. I'll restart the year and put work in. I know what to expect and I believe it was due to time management error and me focusing on my other exams.
if you don't mind me asking what did you do? was the workload a lot?

I started out doing chemistry, biology, French, psychology and general studies at AS but took only the first three at A2. The workload isn't bad as long as you keep on top of everything
Reply 33
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

Don't drop out. Don't worry about it. Honestly, I just got my A2 results and I can honestly say things can change so much in one year. Last year, I got BCDD, with my lowest grades being Biology and Chemistry. I want to be a Biochemist. What a joke! It sounded like a joke to all my teachers, and universities alike, but I knew what I wanted to do, and how to get there. And this year is my year of celebration. I now have an A in Biology. From a D grade, and only one retake, and a B in Chemistry, from 2 retakes. So you can do it.

AS is really only half the story, don't lose hope. AS doesn't always give an accurate representation of your strengths; it's hard work adjusting from GCSE level into AS. That's madness! I struggled with it, but once you get focused and ready for A2 as soon as possible, the more likely it'll be that you improve massively! It can be done.
A good way to see your mistakes would be to request copies of your exam papers and go over them with you teachers, that why you can see what you've done wrong and hopefully avoid similar mistakes in the future.

Also try not to be too disheartened, you can come back for this and you can improve, you just need to work hard and most importantly believe in yourself. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Mollymod
Don't drop out. Don't worry about it. Honestly, I just got my A2 results and I can honestly say things can change so much in one year. Last year, I got BCDD, with my lowest grades being Biology and Chemistry. I want to be a Biochemist. What a joke! It sounded like a joke to all my teachers, and universities alike, but I knew what I wanted to do, and how to get there. And this year is my year of celebration. I now have an A in Biology. From a D grade, and only one retake, and a B in Chemistry, from 2 retakes. So you can do it.

AS is really only half the story, don't lose hope. AS doesn't always give an accurate representation of your strengths; it's hard work adjusting from GCSE level into AS. That's madness! I struggled with it, but once you get focused and ready for A2 as soon as possible, the more likely it'll be that you improve massively! It can be done.

I want to do biochemistry as well! I am thinking of resitting the year and securing good grades as with an E in chem I honestly dont think i can bump it up in a year- it's too risky for my liking.
Reply 36
I'll look in to that as well. I only need to retake two exams to bump my one f my c and d grades into As as in both of the subjects it was one exam which let me down. I'll research more and thanks so much btw. :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Original post by sliceofthepi
But what about Uni applications?

I have no idea I'm not applying this year.
Reply 37

Really, bad exam results aren't the absolute end of the world. I got exactly the same as you at AS a few years ago and was devastated especially as I'd also be predicted high grades.

All I'd ever wanted to do at university was History. I got a D at AS.

I retook and got an A in history. I can't actually remember what I got for the others (which shows how important in the long run they actually are). When it came to A Levels a year later I got AABC with an A in history.

That D in the one subject that I'd loved since I was a little girl at the time seemed the conclusive proof that I was actually rubbish at it and could never study it at university. It wasn't at all- I'm currently sat in the library of Nottingham University writing my MA History dissertation.

Really, retake a couple of AS Levels and you'll be fine. Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Good luck :smile:

I have no idea I'm not applying this year.

Thanks I've decided to resit the year and bump up my AS grades before moving to A2. As I believe resitting will ensure I get into the degree I want and I see it as the more sensible option (seeing as all exams are in junes and with the retakes and my actual exams I don't see myself getting good under that pressure). Thanks:smile:
Reply 39
Original post by QI Elf
Really, bad exam results aren't the absolute end of the world. I got exactly the same as you at AS a few years ago and was devastated especially as I'd also be predicted high grades.

All I'd ever wanted to do at university was History. I got a D at AS.

I retook and got an A in history. I can't actually remember what I got for the others (which shows how important in the long run they actually are). When it came to A Levels a year later I got AABC with an A in history.

That D in the one subject that I'd loved since I was a little girl at the time seemed the conclusive proof that I was actually rubbish at it and could never study it at university. It wasn't at all- I'm currently sat in the library of Nottingham University writing my MA History dissertation.

Really, retake a couple of AS Levels and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Thank you so much!!! I will resit the year and retake my AS subjects and work hard this year. I am glad to see that everything worked out for you. Thank you so much and good luck on your dissertation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest