The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by Marii101
What the...? You mean there's the possibility of starting AS maths in Year 10??? You must be smart if you were thinking about doing that. :eek:
I don't even know when I'm doing the Maths GCSE, my teacher is so laid back that even when we asked him, he didn't know. :biggrin:

Oh and thanks! :biggrin:

Shhhh...I would have to slef teach it and do it a sixth form as my school only goes up to GCSE but im seriously considering it. Pop onto the yr 9 thread soon as well :P
Ahah, is this pidgin english I see? :wink:

Something like that :wink:
I take it yo mommy n daddy dey come from Lagos? :tongue:

:grin: Tootoo
Reply 5982
Original post by thatitootoo
Don't be! The fact that you can ALREADY communicate in Germam is fantastisch!

Oh thats good then :smile:

Once I start lessons it should pick up a bit also
Something like that :wink:
I take it yo mommy n daddy dey come from Lagos? :tongue:

Nope, I'm from Edo State (specifically Ekpoma and Ubiaja) So I'm Esan (Seems to be one of the less widely known ones) But all of my family live in Benin or Lagos now so I'm practically from Benin. What about you? Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa? Or just picked up pidgin somewhere?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gilo98
Shhhh...I would have to slef teach it and do it a sixth form as my school only goes up to GCSE but im seriously considering it. Pop onto the yr 9 thread soon as well :P

Oh, I would never have the motivation to self-teach it, even though I'm good at Maths. I'll take a look at the Yr9 thread later, as I have to go now.

Bonne nuit!
Reply 5985
Oh, I would never have the motivation to self-teach it, even though I'm good at Maths. I'll take a look at the Yr9 thread later, as I have to go now.

Bonne nuit!

Okedokey et toi!!
Nope, I'm from Edo State (specifically Ekpoma and Ubiaja) So I'm Esan (Seems to be one of the less widely known ones) But all of my family live in Benin or Lagos now so I'm practically from Benin. What about you? Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa? Or just picked up pidgin somewhere?

O'viedo éé mehí. Edo but not Esan! Benin City...so I only understand pure Edo.
I have spoken to several other Edo people in the "African thread" btw :smile: (It used to be active but it has kinda died lately) :L

(edited 10 years ago)
O'viedo éé mehí. Edo but not Esan! Benin City...so I only understand pure Edo.
I have spoken to several other Edo people in the "African thread" btw :smile: (It used to be active but it has kinda died lately) :L

:eek:

You're from Edo state too?
I can only speak a bit of Esan though, as in greetings and the random words here and there. How different is Esan from Edo language???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5988
Original post by aasvogel
French :smile:

Oh sorry can't help you then... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5989
P.S. 还是 means 'Or', right? If so, when is it appropriate to use it? Why should I use 或者 instead?
I didn't see this question being answered, so I suggest you read this: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Comparing_%22haishi%22_and_%22huozhe%22

In short: use 还是 for questions; use 或者 for declarations.
French :smile:

I thought it was the same as English without I/Je being capitalised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:eek:

You're from Edo state too?
I can only speak a bit of Esan though, as in greetings and the random words here and there. How different is Esan from Edo language???

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've heard, the edo state languages are mostly unintelligible. Common phrases like: "Koyo, Vboo yee he?" & "ob'ovie" (good morning) might have slipped into the Esan language though. Sista "Ebuwa" on here might know some Esan :wink:

(edited 10 years ago)
Oui, j'habite à Londres. :rolleyes: (Sorry, but it just seems weird to have someone ask me that. :tongue: It seems that you looked at my profile or something?) Je suis née à Londres mais mes parents sont nigérian (donc ma origine ethnique est Nigérian mais ma nationalité est britannique).

Uh, I'm dreading next year because it'll be 10x more stress than I had in Year 9 when I started my GCSEs. Plus nearly all of my exams will be at the end of the school year. :frown: I predict the end of the world will be in June 2014 thanks to the new government. :mad:
Je suis vieille. We used to do all our exams in year 11. People did survive, honest!

Mind you, in those days, I understand that lesson time in years 10 through 11 was used for teaching, not for conducting endless controlled assessments!
Original post by Gilo98
Poor? I thought you were native :redface: Im kind of jealous being surrounded by all this nervous excitement though :frown:
:rofl2::rofl3::rofl:

Nein, nein, nein!
wieso!

Ich interessierte mich nicht für die Abitüren meines Schule, denn da wird mir keine Deutsche stünde angeboten.
(Octopus Garden point out what is wrong with this ambitious sentence that's clearly beyond my current level) :wink:

Ich interessierte mich nicht fur die Abitüren meiner Schule, denn da wurden mir keine Deutsche Stunden angeboten.

N die Schule
A die Schule
G der Schule
D der Schule

You used the present passive, instead of the imperfect, and you wanted to have German lessonS, didn't you? Not just one! (I will note that you got your passive tense agreeing consistently though.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octopus_Garden
x

Quand recevez-vous vos résultats?

So nervous...
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Quand recevez-vous vos résultats?

So nervous...
When I go down. I have to have breakfast first.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
When I go down. I have to have breakfast first.

Aah. Okay :tongue: 40 minutes left... Gonna shave, shower, freshen up
Original post by Molly_xox

Posted from TSR Mobile

So 'J'ai été sachant' for example?
Does that reflect the past action that continues into the present?
Reply 5997
Original post by Kallisto

Thanks to you too. So the capitalization in English is similar to the one in German?

I apologise for not being precise; when I mentioned places, buildings, I meant the names of specific buildings, places etc. So the Eiffel Tower would be capitalised since it is a specific, unique entity (or what we call proper nouns), whereas tower on its own would not. Similarly, Mount Everest and the United Kingdom would always be capitalised, while mount, kingdom or united on its own in a sentence (e.g. The kingdom was large and to the south was a mount...) would not be capitalised since it does not refer to a unique thing where only one exists in the world. If I remember correctly, German capitalises ALL nouns, so English and German capitalisation rules are slightly different
Reply 5998
Original post by Molly_xox

Posted from TSR Mobile

So 'J'ai été sachant' for example?
Does that reflect the past action that continues into the present?

I believe Molly has confused your question with Kallisto's question about English capitalisation rules. :biggrin:
I've just read an article that states A level entries for German and French are down 10% and 11% respectively this year. Sad news to see that once again languages are continuing their downward spiral.

On the other hand, Spanish showed a 4% increase so there is some improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending