The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Firstly, congratulations on getting your results! If you've got the results that you were hoping for then all of your hard work has paid off, congratulations! However, if not it's not the end of the world - this thread will guide you through all of the different options available whether you are an AS student or an A2 student with a university place on the line.

If you are an AS student wondering what to do next, check our our guide AS Results: What to do next? If you want to discuss your results in more detail, then you want to go to the results discussion thread. We also have a thread where you can post your results and another which will inform you the grade boundaries for June 2013 upon publication.

This thread will explore the options of remarks and retakes and what would be most suited towards your situation.

All about remarks!

Now the remarking system for A-Level exams is conducted differently to GCSEs. For GCSEs, the process can be found in the GCSE results day - Didn't do as well as you hoped? thread.

When to request for a remark?

Remarks are usually requested where a result comes back as being something that was not expected. This could mean that the result was only a few UMS from a grade boundary, or you feel that the result does not reflect how you felt you did in the exam. They are also sometimes requested to gain a few more UMS in modules where you feel they should have been given.

University places and remarks

If you've received your A-Level grades and you have found that you've missed your offer's grades by a couple of UMS, the first thing to do is to call the university. Ask if they will hold your place should you get a priority remark and it comes back that saying that you've made your condition by 31st August. They are not obliged to, however if they won't but after a remark you've met your offer's grades then you might be able to have your place deferred. In addition, some universities will ask for your remark results by filling out an online form. The best thing you can do is look at the university's policy on remarks which should be on their website.

What is the remark process and which one is most suitable for me?

Each examining board has different services when there is a request for an EAR (Enquiry about results). Below are the different services that are offered:

Check EAR Service 1: Clerical

(exams) EAR Service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components

(exams) Priority EAR service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components

coursework EAR service 3: Post-results review of internally assessed/externally moderated

If you want to apply for any of these services, go to your examinations officer who will then put in an application on your behalf.

What about if I'm a private candidate?

If you are a private candidate you can apply for EARs directly. You can now do this online in most cases where the instructions are easy to follow.

How would I be able to access my written script?

You can request the original or photocopies of the scripts back through Access to Scripts services (ATSs). This can be useful, as it would allow you to see whether or not having a remark would be beneficial and seeing how your marks have been distributed across your paper.

If you do want a copy of your paper, you can request this from your examinations officer. If you however ask for the original, you will not be able to use the EAR service. This is also not advisable for those who have a university place at risk who require an urgent re-mark.

Service costs for June 2013 examinations

So I have received the outcome from my EAR and I am still not happy. Can I appeal?

You are able to appeal the outcome of an EAR if you still feel that your result is incorrect. An appeal must be sent from the centre’s themselves and not individual candidates. There is a deadline for these. This is usually 14 days, but can vary between examination boards.

There are 2 stages to appeals. These are as follows:

Stage 1:

Examination of the case is done by a senior examiner who hasn’t previously been involved. If they feel that there is an inconsistency, then the case will be upheld (allowed) and if necessary further work may be done on candidates work. If it is rejected (disallowed) then no further action will be taken. Reports will be sent to the centre or private candidate in both cases.

Stage 2:

This must be made within 2 weeks of the result of a stage 1 appeal. Stage 2 appeals give centres or private candidates a chance to present their case to an impartial body in a hearing. This body will decide the fate of the appeal. Again a report on the outcome will be sent to the centre or private candidate.

Further information on appeals can be found here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/post-results-services/post-results-services-june-2013-nov-2013-and-jan-2014

Important dates to remember

23rd August: Last date to receive applications for priority EAR service 2 and priority script photocopies to support EARs

31st August: Final date to inform universities of any changes in circumstances following an EAR, if they have held your offer.

20th September: Last date to receive applications for EAR services

4th October: Last date to receive applications for ATSs

All about retakes!

This is another option that a lot of students take into consideration and this part of the thread will explain to you the thought process behind deciding to take a retake.

How do I decide if I should retake a module?

It is often difficult deciding whether or not retaking an A-Level module is the best option. Here are a few questions which may help you decide:

Is one modular result significantly lower than the others and holding your overall grade down?

Are you close to getting the grade you want, but have missed the grade boundary by a few UMS?

Do you want to spend the money to remark the module?

Did you feel extenuating circumstances prevented you from reaching your potential?

Did you feel as if you worked hard enough?

Do you have the time to prepare for the retake alongside other exams?

These are just a few questions to ask yourself to see if retaking a module is the best option.

Many people would argue that AS modules are easier as the content doesn't go into as much depth in comparison to an A2 module. For this reason, many choose to retake some AS modules to maximise their UMS scores, reducing the pressure when taking their A2 modules. Choosing to retake a module is a very personal choice. Don't be afraid to retake a module where you scored well, but still felt you could've done better, as any extra UMS at AS-Level can provide security for a poor performance in an A2 exam.

When should I retake some modules?

If you have just received your AS-Level results and want to retake some modules, then you can choose to do them in June 2014 (as there are no January exam sittings from January 2014 onwards). However, you have to take into consideration the fact that to will probably be sitting your A2 examinations which with retakes can increase the pressure on your performance. It is wise not to retake more than two or three modules at a time whilst also studying for A2 modules. Five AS-Level retakes and eight A2 modules would be enough to create a stress overload for anyone!

If you are due to finish your A-Level course with the exams in June 2013 then this gives less flexibility for retaking modules, which you'll have to do in June, assuming that you don't intend to retake an entire year. However, you should bear in mind the need to ensure that you can focus a sufficient amount of time to succeed in the modules that you attempt for the first time in June when considering how many retakes to attempt.

What are universities' views on retakes?

Most universities are fine with the occasional retake, and a few will not cause them much concern. A few of the top universities, and particularly Medical Schools, will feel that too many retakes show that you will not be able to cope with the course. The best thing you can do is research the relevant universities and contact the admissions teams. Retake decisions don't have to be rushed, so don't make a hasty decision. Do remember that universities will see that you are retaking modules, as you have to declare the module as pending on UCAS.

How should I prepare for my retakes?

The first thing to do is discuss your decision with the relevant teachers. They are often the last to know, but can be the best people to give you advice. Many people have a misconception that by doing retakes you will get a better result without doing revision. Do not fall into this mindset. It is advised that you put the same amount of revision in for your retakes and new modules to get the best results. For subjects like English Literature or History, where the content can be completely different, you will simply waste your time and money if you don't revise. Treat the retake as if you were sitting the exam for the first time! For subjects like Mathematics and Physics, where the AS-Level content may seem very easy, spend more time doing past papers to perfect your technique to maximise your chances of doing well.

How do I submit myself for a retake?

Every institution has a different set of policies, so it would be wise to discuss this with your Examinations Officer. Whilst some schools and college will pay for retakes, others won't and the cost of modules can vary between £10.00 and £40.00. Therefore, it is crucial that you consider your decision carefully. The exact pricing can be found on the examination board's website.

If you are doing retakes at your old institution during a gap year, you may find that an additional administration charge is added. Make sure you meet the deadlines set, else you will incur significant late fees . If you are unsure what the module codes or titles are, all relevant information should be on your results slip.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A* A B (+ A* in general studies of all things). My offer is AAA and the B is 2 marks from an A (chemistry) could a remark be worth it???
Reply 2
Original post by Ry_p94
A* A B (+ A* in general studies of all things). My offer is AAA and the B is 2 marks from an A (chemistry) could a remark be worth it???

Have you definitely been rejected by your uni? If not, is there any way they might average it out and use the A* to counteract the B?
Otherwise, if you're 2 marks away, I'd say it's worth a priority remark.
How long do we have until we can't ask for a remark/script back? The post only says about the Priority EAR service 2.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 4
please anybody knows the linkto find out my results on c2 and c3??
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

I'm year eleven. Want the A*, do I leave C4, and resit C3? I was sure C3 was MUCH better... But I guess not.

History, shall I remark?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Spoiler

I'm year eleven. Want the A*, do I leave C4, and resit C3? I was sure C3 was MUCH better... But I guess not.

History, shall I remark?

Are you continuing with History to A2? If so, that might be enough in itself to pull your grades up to an A for the complete A2. If not, a remark could well be a good idea as you're so close to the boundary and it's quite a subjective subject.

I'd agree that C3 looks like the Maths module to focus on if you're looking for a Maths A*. :yep:
Original post by >Username<
How long do we have until we can't ask for a remark/script back? The post only says about the Priority EAR service 2.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

You have until 20 September for all services other than the priority remark/script copy.

Original post by drakoulakos

Your individual module scores should be on your results slip - are they not there for you?
Original post by Illusionary
Are you continuing with History to A2? If so, that might be enough in itself to pull your grades up to an A for the complete A2. If not, a remark could well be a good idea as you're so close to the boundary and it's quite a subjective subject.

I'd agree that C3 looks like the Maths module to focus on if you're looking for a Maths A*. :yep:

History, no A2 :nah:

Is there any point trying to remark C3? As I thought I had 70+ raw marks :mmm: evidently not... Or just resit in January? (I think I have that option, as I'm WJEC and started "study" in September 2012?)
History, no A2 :nah:

Is there any point trying to remark C3? As I thought I had 70+ raw marks :mmm: evidently not... Or just resit in January? (I think I have that option, as I'm WJEC and started "study" in September 2012?)

Okay, well in that case a remark sounds like a reasonable option for History.

With the score that you have for C3, I wouldn't recommend a remark there - Maths isn't a subject that's likely to see a big movement in marks. Check with your teachers, but I don't think that there would be exams open for you in January 2014 - meaning that you'd be looking at retaking in June 2014 (see here: http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=5)
Okay, well in that case a remark sounds like a reasonable option for History.

With the score that you have for C3, I wouldn't recommend a remark there - Maths isn't a subject that's likely to see a big movement in marks. Check with your teachers, but I don't think that there would be exams open for you in January 2014 - meaning that you'd be looking at retaking in June 2014 (see here: http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=5)

Ah, I'll check the link when I'm home:frown:

Thanks
(Original post by >Username<)

Any help would be appreciated.

You have until 20 September for all services other than the priority remark/script copy.

(Original post by drakoulakos)

Your individual module scores should be on your results slip - are they not there for you?

I don't know where is that!?!?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Did anyone else miss their offer but still get in to their Uni, yet kind of want a remark on one paper because it wasn't what you expected?

I got in with AAA when my offer was with an A*, but all year round I've been getting close to full mark essays in Psychology and the exams went perfectly but I nearly got a C in one paper...It's just not right to me. A remark won't bring my grade up or down because it's too far away from either, but if it did go up a bit it would give me peace of mind that I didn't totally mess it up.

Anyway, I've asked for the papers back on that paper plus another paper in another subject where I got a D and predicted an A* in that subject, just to see where I went wrong, but not daring to go for a remark on that because it's only 10UMS off the grade below.

I know I shouldn't care because I still got in, but it's more for my peace of mind because I feel like I haven't properly achieved my goal of getting in to Uni with the grades I needed. I've just missed it and been lucky that they still want me.
(edited 10 years ago)

So to clarify I have until 20th September to get a EAR Service 1 and EAR Service 2. What about the original script?

Thank you sooo much for your reply. :biggrin:
Original post by >Username<
So to clarify I have until 20th September to get a EAR Service 1 and EAR Service 2. What about the original script?

Thank you sooo much for your reply. :biggrin:

Yep :yy:

I'm 2 raw marks away (over C3/4 so, one more in each or 2 in one paper) will be an A*, should I risk money?
I'm 2 raw marks away (over C3/4 so, one more in each or 2 in one paper) will be an A*, should I risk money?

It's your money so ultimately your decision to make; 2 raw marks wouldn't be out of the question to pick up from a remark, but I'd still say that it's unlikely.
It's your money so ultimately your decision to make; 2 raw marks wouldn't be out of the question to pick up from a remark, but I'd still say that it's unlikely.

I'm poor anyway :wink: so I'll leave them :frown:

What service would you recommend? EAR Service 1 or Service 2?
Reply 19
If I got ABBB, is there any point applying to Imperial for Bio even if I get predicted As?

Quick Reply

Latest