The Student Room Group

Terrible AS Results? Read this..

Really, bad exam results aren't the absolute end of the world. I got CCDEE at AS a few years ago and was devastated especially as I'd also be predicted high grades.

All I'd ever wanted to do at university was history since I was about 7. I got a D at AS.

I retook and got an A in history. I can't actually remember what I got for the others (which shows how important in the long run they actually are). When it came to A Levels a year later I got AABC with an A in history.

That D in the one subject that I'd loved since I was a little girl at the time seemed the conclusive proof that I was actually rubbish at everything and could never study the one subject I'd always adored at university. It wasn't at all- I'm currently sat in the library of Nottingham University writing my MA History dissertation with plans to go onto do a phD in a couple of years.

Bad AS Levels mean very little in the long run. Nobody has once asked me about mine since leaving school, they didn't stop me from getting into a great university and taking my subject to the very highest level. That D at AS Level which felt like the end of the world at the time is so very far behind me 5 years on.
Yours will be too. I promise.

Good luck everyone.
Reply 1
This has made be feel a tad better. I got ACC overall for my AS Results (Econ, Politics and History), however for my June results I got BBD, with the D in History like you. I'd also like to study history, preferably with another social science. When you got a D in History did it hinder your options/application for Uni? Because right now I'm a bit deflated because I'd like to go to a decent Uni. I'm definitely retaking that History module for sure. Do you have any advice for me and what I should do from now?
Reply 2
Thanks for the kinda words at this time. Feeling so screwed at the moment though...
Original post by QI Elf
Really, bad exam results aren't the absolute end of the world. I got CCDEE at AS a few years ago and was devastated especially as I'd also be predicted high grades.

All I'd ever wanted to do at university was history since I was about 7. I got a D at AS.

I retook and got an A in history. I can't actually remember what I got for the others (which shows how important in the long run they actually are). When it came to A Levels a year later I got AABC with an A in history.

That D in the one subject that I'd loved since I was a little girl at the time seemed the conclusive proof that I was actually rubbish at everything and could never study the one subject I'd always adored at university. It wasn't at all- I'm currently sat in the library of Nottingham University writing my MA History dissertation with plans to go onto do a phD in a couple of years.

Bad AS Levels mean very little in the long run. Nobody has once asked me about mine since leaving school, they didn't stop me from getting into a great university and taking my subject to the very highest level. That D at AS Level which felt like the end of the world at the time is so very far behind me 5 years on.
Yours will be too. I promise.

Good luck everyone.

So you applied with CCDEE and applied to Nottingham and got an offer (of what?) for History?
Reply 4
Original post by im so academic
So you applied with CCDEE and applied to Nottingham and got an offer (of what?) for History?

I never said I applied to Nottingham for undergrad. I went to Leicester University on an offer of AAB for History. Got in. Got a 2.1. Applied to Nottingham for a masters and got an offer.
Original post by QI Elf

I never said I applied to Nottingham for undergrad. I went to Leicester University on an offer of AAB for History. Got in. Got a 2.1. Applied to Nottingham for a masters and got an offer.

Oh sorry it wasn't clear. Well done! :smile: Where do you hope to do your PhD?
Reply 6
Original post by im so academic
Oh sorry it wasn't clear. Well done! :smile: Where do you hope to do your PhD?

Ideally Nottingham. Its my hometown and I have a few contacts here at the university partly as a result of my involvement with the county's history society- I've had a couple of things published in their journal in the last few years so I'd like to build on that connection too.

I'm doing my dissertation on a Nottingham based topic and would really like to do something similar in terms of time and location for my phD.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by QI Elf

Ideally Nottingham. Its my hometown and I have a few contacts here at the university partly as a result of my involvement with the county's history society- I've had a couple of things published in their journal in the last few of years so I'd like to build on that connection too.

I'm doing my dissertation on a Nottingham based topic and would really like to do something similar in terms of time and location for my phD.

Good luck for that then. :smile: It's really motivating what you've wrote.

Quick Reply

Latest