The Student Room Group

A2 results: A,A...E

Just got my A2 results and was pleased to see I got

A in Graphics
A in Moving Image Arts
...E in Biology

I've got my place at uni to study architecture which im over the moon with :smile:but having to put E on my cv's in the future next to 2 A's looks pretty bad. Is there any way I can just put my As result for bio on cv's which is a B or just leave out my biology grade alltogether?
Reply 1
Original post by tomhobbz
Just got my A2 results and was pleased to see I got

A in Graphics
A in Moving Image Arts
...E in Biology

I've got my place at uni to study architecture which im over the moon with :smile:but having to put E on my cv's in the future next to 2 A's looks pretty bad. Is there any way I can just put my As result for bio on cv's which is a B or just leave out my biology grade alltogether?

It's your CV, you can choose to put on it what you want really. If you want to just stick your AS on then that's fine. What you're doing at university is probably more important anyway.
Original post by Ecosse_14
It's your CV, you can choose to put on it what you want really. If you want to just stick your AS on then that's fine. What you're doing at university is probably more important anyway.

Really? I thought it would be a bit dishonest to do that. What if future employers find out that you've omitted sub-par qualifications?
Reply 3
Original post by im so academic
Really? I thought it would be a bit dishonest to do that. What if future employers find out that you've omitted sub-par qualifications?

Well, put what you want on it to a certain extent of course but there's no strict rules (like there are for UCAS applications for example) that say you must declare fail grades or anything. If they want to omit it, then there's no reason why they can't :dontknow:
Reply 4

No law of omission here! Yes, it's cherry picking your grades to give a less-than-complete picture, but it's pretty standard practice if you think about it. If when you're 50 you're looking for a super-high position at a major company, you'll probably not include your pub job you had when you were an undergrad - it's all about making the CV relevant to the place you're applying for. If an employer asks for your complete history (common for postgraduate applications, for example) then yeah there could be a problem if OP left off an E.

Original post by tomhobbz

but having to put E on my cv's in the future next to 2 A's looks pretty bad. Is there any way I can just put my As result for bio on cv's which is a B or just leave out my biology grade alltogether?

You could just leave it off (see my comment above) but then again, an astute employer might ask why you only have 2 A-levels.
Well, put what you want on it to a certain extent of course but there's no strict rules (like there are for UCAS applications for example) that say you must declare fail grades or anything. If they want to omit it, then there's no reason why they can't :dontknow:

What if an employer finds out that you've omitted stuff? Wouldn't that look bad on you, say when it comes to interview or something?

I don't know, it's just I wouldn't want to be in a position where I've omitted stuff, they've caught me up on it and it turned out it wouldn't have mattered if I put it on in the first place. But the fact that I omitted it, well, seems sneaky.
Original post by Strangey
No law of omission here! Yes, it's cherry picking your grades to give a less-than-complete picture, but it's pretty standard practice if you think about it. If when you're 50 you're looking for a super-high position at a major company, you'll probably not include your pub job you had when you were an undergrad - it's all about making the CV relevant to the place you're applying for. If an employer asks for your complete history (common for postgraduate applications, for example) then yeah there could be a problem if OP left off an E.

You could just leave it off (see my comment above) but then again, an astute employer might ask why you only have 2 A-levels.

I never knew this. Thanks for that! So you basically omit any crap that may damage your application form and use what you've got to make it the best you can be?
Reply 7
What if an employer finds out that you've omitted stuff? Wouldn't that look bad on you, say when it comes to interview or something?

I don't know, it's just I wouldn't want to be in a position where I've omitted stuff, they've caught me up on it and it turned out it wouldn't have mattered if I put it on in the first place. But the fact that I omitted it, well, seems sneaky.

It isn't against rules to omit something, that doesn't mean others would though. As I said though, employers would be more concerned with what they were doing at university and how they were getting on there. You're right, it wouldn't look good to employers if they found out (although that's very unlikely that they found out), but my point was that there are not really any rules surrounding it.
It isn't against rules to omit something, that doesn't mean others would though. As I said though, employers would be more concerned with what they were doing at university and how they were getting on there. You're right, it wouldn't look good to employers if they found out (although that's very unlikely that they found out), but my point was that there are not really any rules surrounding it.

Thanks for that explanation.
Reply 9

Thanks! I would imagine they would be more focused on the degree Im doing than one a-level that barely relates to the subject of architecture anyway. I think it would be best to leave my biology grades from cv's all together as it wouldn't be much use and wouldn't be breaking any rules, it would bring my image down :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest