The Student Room Group

don't know if it's worth calling firm choice

I needed AAB to get into politics at exeter, I achieved A*BB. They have denied me on ucas, but i still really want to go to exeter, is it worth calling them or have they made their decision?

Maybe the A* boosts up a B? Thanks
Reply 1
No harm really.
Original post by Sloppy
I needed AAB to get into politics at exeter, I achieved A*BB. They have denied me on ucas, but i still really want to go to exeter, is it worth calling them or have they made their decision?

Your firm choice will have known your results for a few days now, so if you've been rejected from there it's unlikely at this point that they'd change their decision - a higher grade in one subject won't necessarily make up for a lower one in another. You can try calling them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
Original post by Illusionary
Your firm choice will have known your results for a few days now, so if you've been rejected from there it's unlikely at this point that they'd change their decision - a higher grade in one subject won't necessarily make up for a lower one in another. You can try calling them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.

If you've slightly missed your firm choice's offer and they haven't responded, is it better to call or wait for updates?

(Apologies OP for hijacking your thread.)
Reply 4
Is it considering rude to call them? I don't want to call them and for them to basically tell me to stop wasting their time haha
Original post by snow leopard
If you've slightly missed your firm choice's offer and they haven't responded, is it better to call or wait for updates?

(Apologies OP for hijacking your thread.)

Yes, call them and ask. There were issues with UCAS Track yesterday meaning that some universities were unable to process decisions on Track for those who missed their offer.
Original post by Illusionary

Someone in the year before me who applied to university needed ABB and got BBC. They called the university and got in on the course they applied for anyway.

There's no harm in trying. If it works out, yay. If it doesn't, it cost you a phone call.
Original post by Sloppy
Is it considering rude to call them? I don't want to call them and for them to basically tell me to stop wasting their time haha

I wouldn't let this influence your decision too much - the admissions staff will be too busy to worry about whether any particular individual comes across as 'rude' - but I doubt that they'd think badly of you anyway simply for asking the question. :smile:
Original post by Sloppy

You could always try. You can try telling them your UMS marks if you missed your grades by a small margin since many universities don't really received the overall UMS marks, they usually receive just the module grade and the overall grades. However, I am not 100% sure about this.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
thanks guys, i'm being such a wimp. feel like they are going to shout at me for wasting their time, which will be compounded by their business. they've seen my application and probably don't want me, but it is only a phone call and i do stand to gain a lot. i think i'll bite the bullet and call, even though it's not looking promising. thanks alot guys.
Original post by Sloppy
thanks guys, i'm being such a wimp. feel like they are going to shout at me for wasting their time, which will be compounded by their business. they've seen my application and probably don't want me, but it is only a phone call and i do stand to gain a lot. i think i'll bite the bullet and call, even though it's not looking promising. thanks alot guys.

Did you call them? What did they say? I'm curious on wether they accepted you :biggrin:

Quick Reply